Atari ST demos on 2 disks supporting drive B

This is where you post all your requests for demos, intros, pubtros etc...

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

fiveofive
Atariator
Atariator

Atari ST demos on 2 disks supporting drive B

Postby fiveofive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 pm

As I just took my SF314 drive from the basement and do some tests with it, I wonder if there is some knowledge on which ST two disk demos are actually supporting a drive B. I remember that there were a few - not necessarily those one would expect to, and also the other way around. Any hints?

Disk drive B: is supported in:
- Ventura Demo by Overlanders

is not supported:
- Punish your Machine by Delta Force
- Pete Megademo by Ripped off
- Snork Demo by Futur Minds
- Froggies over the fence (calls drive B but does not load from it)
- Traou'n Int Ket Bet Graet Ben Breman by Adrenaline
- Thunderdome by Checkpoint
-

I am vaguely remembering that also Phaleon demo and Braindamage had such support, but its long ago. Maybe there are certain "sub-scenes" with more support for it then others, e.g. French scene.

Cheers!
505 - Atari, Chiptune & Demoscene - website

fiveofive
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Atari ST demos on 2 disks supporting drive B

Postby fiveofive » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Updated the list a bit. Seems there are only few demos supporting drive B. Maybe it was more common for games. Also, using drive B may make you miss the "change disk" screens ;)

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:30 pm

I'd say you rarely (if not never) have to go back to disk one in demos, do to their program and data structure. :)
Handling two drives is then a more worthy addition for programs loading from both drives at any time.

fiveofive
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fiveofive » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Right, it's not that 2 disk drives are absolutely necessary. but I remember that swapping disks in Megademos and games was kind of annoying at times and I hoped for a more relaxed show with 2 disk drives. But maybe it boils down to my way of demo menu - user interaction (e.g. choose screens randomly or repeatively, not in given order).

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Ah yes true that big megademos can require many disks changes when browsing. :)

And yes again, i was referring to games as programs loading from both drives.
Adventure games were especially mad on this.
Also Street Fighter II, but as anyone playing this hideous game port could probably be categorized as masochist, insane disk swapping couldn't do any more harm to his/her condition i guess. :lol:

fiveofive
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fiveofive » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Very nice that we share the same memory on Street Fighter 2. I remember how I loved to play the SNES version at friends place and consequently bought it for my ST. What a surprise to see this conversion, in a not so positive way and changing disks several times for each opponent just added to this :) Today, I see it more as a cult release worth playing just for its badness (the original is still in my shelf). Luckily, ECG released a much more sophisticated 3 disks version later on.

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:44 pm

It was my brother who had bought our copy of Street Fighter 2 on ST. I should ask him if he enjoyed playing it.

My memories of an ST(e) title willing to bring arcade fighting gameplay on ST was Ultimate Arena, a home-made Mortal Kombat clone for STe.
It wasn't too bad compared to Mortal Kombat on Megadrive, much more advanced than many ST fighting games and fun to play, even with its one button joystick gameplay.
And, as ST Format review on the page i linked states, it also featured "too much loading and unpacking" (but was HD installable). ;)

Social Media

Return to “Demos - Requests”