Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

MartinW
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby MartinW » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:52 am

kolla wrote:I can imagine WinUAE being clever about this...

I guess so. I had never tried doing anything with single partition images before I got a MiSTer so I'll have to experiment. At a guess, if it's formatted with something that's built into the OS (FFS, SFS?) it will work just fine, otherwise with no RDB then it won't be recognised and will instead have to be a full disk image with RDB. Hence my problems because I always use PFS3.

I can't really see that it's a problem to have a whole disk image with RDB and just a single partition. Just a different process to create and a few extra blocks (I'm guessing on the last bit).

R4MS
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby R4MS » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:08 am

The binary writes infos about the image it tries to load on the console output. You can find the instructions above. I had the problem, that the binary didn't accept the cylinder/sector/head combination of an image created on an A1200. Maybe we have to relax the constraints.

Mickoz
Atarian
Atarian

Anyone managed to get Dungeon Master 2 running on minimig core?

Postby Mickoz » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:18 am

Hi All,

First post and I hope I haven't posted in the wrong place or broken any rules.

Has anyone managed to get Dungeon Master 2 running on their MiSTer under minimig?
I've tried as WHDLoad and installed straight to the hard drive on a minimig version of an A1200. I get a crash at around where the FTL splash screen should appear.

Same install works fine under WinUAE.

Thanks

Mick

GoingDown
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Anyone managed to get Dungeon Master 2 running on minimig core?

Postby GoingDown » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:58 am

Mickoz wrote:Has anyone managed to get Dungeon Master 2 running on their MiSTer under minimig?
I've tried as WHDLoad and installed straight to the hard drive on a minimig version of an A1200. I get a crash at around where the FTL splash screen should appear.

Hmm, I got same problem. Tried whdload version with AGA amiga, as well as hard-disk installed version with ECS chipset. Both versions do crash on startup.

Mickoz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mickoz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:20 am

Hmm, chances are that there is something broken in minimig but I reckon our chances of it getting fixed are pretty slim. Looks like I’ll have to play it through on WinUAE as I haven’t got a real Amiga anymore.

Lroby74
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Lroby74 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:13 pm

How is situation of Minimig core? CPU 68020 development is still enough incomplete?

I am wondering because some games like Pinball Illusions AGA crashes on Minimig while works perfectly on Winuae

MartinW
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MartinW » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:03 pm

One of the guys on EAB says he has created a bug report for a missing opcode on the 68020 implementation in MiSTer. See here:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1320289&postcount=49

But I did look (only a couple of days ago as it happens) and I wasn't able to find a bug report on the Mist GitHub or the MiSTer GitHub, but obviously I could very easily be looking in the wrong place, or it could have already been addressed and closed - but I thought I checked closed issues as well!

Now I could be imagining this last bit but I could have sworn I read somewhere that the pinball illusions bug was down to the same issue? And by somewhere it's almost certainly going to have been either a thread here or on EAB but they're both big forums :D

Chol
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Chol » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:52 pm

MartinW wrote:I wasn't able to find a bug report on the Mist GitHub or the MiSTer GitHub

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/issues/109

MartinW
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MartinW » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Well done. I think I missed it because I was specifically looking for a report about a missing opcode.

No idea if this is the same issue that causes the Pinball Illusions crash.

[EDIT] I found that in the first place because the first thing I did with MiSTer was take my real A1200 disk and fire it up in MiSTer. Because my real A1200 has 030 sometimes (depending on if I have the accelerator enabled), for me Mmulib just silently stays out of the way when the 030 is not enabled but on MiSTer, as per the issue report it would guru on startup. For now I just moved 68020 library out of the way into a 'disabled' subfolder.

MartinW
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MartinW » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Is anyone else seeing slowdown since recent updates?

I've witnessed the core running really slowly when trying to open a README file in Amiga OS (3.1.4) which sped up when I moved the mouse. I also noticed that disk performance as indicated by SYSINFO has dropped from 1.8MB/s to 1.3MB/s. Now I realise that SYSINFO doesn't have the best reputation for measuring speed but regardless of the figures it's showing a drop.

Obviously this could easily be the OS since there's a lot in the OS. I haven't had the time yet but I intend to go back to a pre-framebuffer version of my setup (I have a backup SD card) just to re-check my speeds.

R4MS
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby R4MS » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 pm

It's very unlikely that the recent updates cause slowdowns. The problem with the 68020 lib is the missing RTD instruction. I've been looking into it, but the tg68k code is a mess. After some trial & error, I got the old pure 68k version from opencores.org. Since everything works in parallel and communicates using global variables, it is pretty hard to follow. Maybe it would be easier to head straight for soft CPU emulation.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:32 pm

R4MS wrote:Maybe it would be easier to head straight for soft CPU emulation.

I don't think it will be easier. If you are talking about hybrid emulation, then it will require to use AXI bridges, so HPS part with emulated CPU will directly address the chipset emulated on FPGA part. So it will require some more knowledge about Cyclone V chip.

MartinW
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MartinW » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:15 am

For what it's worth I didn't get a lot of time this evening but I did some tests and as suspected there's no difference between the current mix of main and minimig and the versions just before the framebuffer came in, but minimig disk access is definitely slower than it was when I initially built my MiSTer. Disk speed is currently benchmarking at roughly 1.3MB/s when it used to be around 1.8MB/s but I do sometimes take a reading and it's up to 1.6.

None of this is very scientific, I'll have to do some digging. At the end of the day it's probably something on my Amiga install.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:56 am

MartinW wrote:For what it's worth I didn't get a lot of time this evening but I did some tests and as suspected there's no difference between the current mix of main and minimig and the versions just before the framebuffer came in, but minimig disk access is definitely slower than it was when I initially built my MiSTer. Disk speed is currently benchmarking at roughly 1.3MB/s when it used to be around 1.8MB/s but I do sometimes take a reading and it's up to 1.6.

None of this is very scientific, I'll have to do some digging. At the end of the day it's probably something on my Amiga install.

Maybe SD card access speed varies as your MiSTer's SD card fills up...

You should probably download older cores and test again to be more scientific. Mine is about 1.5MB/sec but gets an additional 350K/sec with IDEFix...

Mickoz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mickoz » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:49 am

I'm new to the Mister and minimig cores and wonder if anyone can point me at a dummies guide to setting up a 7.5GB hardfile using a Windows PC, using either WinUAE or AmigaForever that I can use on either the software emulation on the PC or hardware emulation on the MiSTer.
I have burned many frustrating hours with PFS3 and SFS 1.84 trying to make a hardfile that works. On the PC it seems easy, but as soon as I transfer to the MiSTer SD card via direct copy or FTP, it shows as non DOS under an A1200 lookalike running ClassicWB 3.1. I've added SFS and PFS AIO to the ClassicWB 3.1 L: directory.

As Catweazle would say "Nuthing works"

My understanding is that either PFS3 or SFS utilise directscsi and don't require a patched scsi.device to achieve up to 8GB partitions.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Nub (Mick)

Return to “MiSTer”