CT60 + Phantom

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

CT60 + Phantom

Postby mikro » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:56 am

Hi guys,

is there anybody using CT60 along with a Phantom/Nemesis? Recently I dug up my Phantomed Falcon which I had been using for years (before switching to a more "tower friendly" one) even with CT60, but for a world I can't remember whether it had worked on RGB, too.

Because the current state of things is as follows:

- CT60 off + VGA: works
- CT60 on + VGA: works
- CT60 off + RGB: works
- CT60 on + RGB: doesn't work

Strange, huh? I'm talking merely about removing the jumper on CT60, nothing else. The failed state behaves also quite unexpectedly -- disk is spinning, LEDs are shining, ... it's not the usual 'out of sync, everything's dead' state as we all know ;) It seems like it's about to start but it doesn't.

Of course, on the other Falcon, the same CT60 works in RGB, so it must have something with the Phantom. I'd love to hear whether someone else has had success in the same configuration (the Phantom is quite aged so it's possible something has broken).

The only test needed is to remove the VGA reduction and let such machine boot. If you can hear key clicks, disk is booting, ... then it means the machine is OK in CT60+RGB, too.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CT60 + Phantom

Postby Dal » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:04 pm

I haven't run in RGB mode for years. And actually never tried it with ct60 and Phantom. I don't even know why I'd need to do that, but happy to try it for you.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Dal, I'd be most grateful! :) All you need to test is just to unplug the VGA reduction (=boot it in the TV mode) and observe whether your usual AUTO stuff is booting, you hear key clicks etc.

I've had kind of a dual setup for my Amiga and Falcon on an RGB monitor, of course it wasn't for serious work (I have Aranym for that) but it was perfect for testing purposes. The most irritating part for me is that without ct60 I don't have network connectivity (svethlana) and I've borrowed the other Falcon to Jookie already, damn it.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:30 pm

Dal, have you had time to look at this recently?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Just tried it here.

My machine booted fine in 060 mode using RGB.

After getting to the desktop, I enabled the Phantom, but this screwed up the display. I guess this is expected, but I've never run Phantom with RGB before. I get the same behaviour in 030 mode.

I'm a little surprised your machine doesn't boot in 060 mode under RGB. The Phantom / Nemesis should not even be 'seen' by the Falcon. Even when enabled they are just oscillators driving the chipset faster.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:29 pm

Thank you for the test, Dal! I agree, it's very strange, that's why I wanted to test it on someone else's machine.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 am

Just to add a 3 year later followup: Today I've disassembled the Falcon in question (after having it in a storage place) and while doing some tests I've got the idea to check RGB again. And yes, it works. Just like that. I guess sitting the problem out is a valid bugfixing approach sometimes. ;)
Last edited by mikro on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 pm

Maybe an NVRAM issue?

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Dal wrote:Maybe an NVRAM issue?

Can't rule this possibility out -- I did have a bad NVRAM in there but that would be quite an interesting scenario where bad NVRAM influences CT60 mode only. And then magically doesn't after three years. Anyway, NVRAM has been changed now so I really hope I wont see any RGB trouble with this Falcon again.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:48 pm

My logic was that maybe you had some duff value in there and in the 2 years since you last ran it up, the battery depleted and the machine has just booted to some 'default' setting? Just a hunch...

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Rustynutt » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 am

There's a fix for the Afterburner, has the.same issue.
Send a mail to DML. One I modified is gone now.

Social Media

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”