News on my GEM games

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: News on my GEM games

Postby Rajah Lone » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:45 am

vido wrote:Its a bit slow on the FireBee but with possible graphic card you think it would run faster?

- it's a bit slow in TC32 screenmode, but still acceptable, at least for me (compared to the ST original version).
- it's pretty smooth in 256c screenmode. I don't like to swap/change screenmodes for one application, but it's worth the effort here.

If Radeon+PCI card comes out for the FireBee, it will be quicker: VRAM of the video card is used, like in CT60+SV (thanks to Didier Mequignon CT60 XBIOS functions), VDI blitting will be done directly without TT/STRAM transfers.

I don't know how the built-in video chip works on the FireBee, but it has its own RAM. Is it possible to use the free memory (most is used to display the screen) for third party applications?
Last edited by Rajah Lone on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Nice to see one of my statements come to live: Doesn't matter what language you program in, as long as the hardware is fast enough it's still good enough.
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 pm

DGEM 1.2B: blog or directly
- fix: a cache file could be empty if one of the memory block was exactly 24000*nb_plan& bytes. This happened in the 16 colors screenmode, some of the raster loaded from the cache were displayed corrupted.

Sorry about this update. I found this bug causing possible nasty display at second launch, when using the cache. I don't think anyone plays DGEM, even less in 16c mode, but if you find the 0 byte file, empty by hand the cache and update the program (with the fix archive).

I'm currently working on the next release of my X2 project, the bug was also there. A step is done (level 2 3 4 5 are there, except for the bosses and half-bosses), I have to test and try to enhance a little the levels editor, then release a 'work in progress' version, probably this week-end.

Playmobil
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Playmobil » Tue May 15, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks Rajah !

About DGEM, in the EDITOR, when I save my work sometimes the saved file is corrupted and so, I lose all my works...

My Engllish is so poor....

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm

@Playmobil: sorry for the inconvenience. If you find difficulties to write in English, then write a private message in French.
I would like to know the exact message (alert sent by the editor or message from the desktop ?) and I would appreciate to have your files to help the search (sinon ce sera comme chercher une aiguille dans une botte de foin). Thanks in advance. No urgency, I have to work first on X2 project, next on new polarssl.ldg release.

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Wed May 16, 2018 9:42 pm

I downloaded and tried DGEM in Hatari 2.1. I started in TrueColor 640x400 but all windows were black.
Started in 256 colors and then it looks a bit better. I can see the main game window, but it seems like the game does not start from the beginning? Looks like I'm at the final level/dungeon?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed May 16, 2018 10:16 pm

- NDVI or fVDI is strongly advised to obtain correct screen informations (such as number of colors and pixel structure).
- with TC16 or TC32 screenmode, even in 256 colors, the graphics take a huge amount of RAM. If your saw black, I think the game could not load the graphics due to a lack of RAM. Stock Falcon 14 MB RAM is not enough. TC16 -> 10 MB of converted images. TTRAM is strongly advised (32 Mo or more).

- The program contains a test/default labyrinth. Use the level editor to see the map and how it's populated. I'm not good at level design, and I hoped some people proposed their own dungeon and adventures, but no one did. If @Playmobil report a major bug 12 years after the 1.0 release of the editor, I guess it's nearly never used.

krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby krupkaj » Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 pm

I really like your DGEM Dungeon Master game. Thanks for your work on it. It would be really great if DGEM supports Dungeon Master 2.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 pm

@krupkaj: thanks. Sorry but DM2 is not in my projects. I took a huge amount of time using an Ultimate Ripper and scan the ingame memory to retreive all graphics. Lost my stamina to death doing that. I see there are now some convenient extractors. Technically, I can do a DM2 version (256 colors minimum), but that's why I'm not interested in it. Moreover, no dragon nor Lord Chaos in it, so it's not exciting.
I wasn't sure to be able to do it for DM+CSB rewrite, that was the big motivation. And now I have other projects to finish.

For a DM2 port, one should see some DM clones open projects and adapt, such as
https://github.com/gbsphenx/skproject
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=view/Clones

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sat May 19, 2018 2:38 am

X2 project (20180518): directly
Game:
- add: level 2, 3, 4, 5 with animated scenery and foes except half-boss and boss.
- add: for tests keys 1 2 3 4 5 of the main keyboard to change level.
- add: in the preferences, background stars display can be disabled. This speeds up display (2 big screen-sized masks avoided).
- fix: quicker collision detector map/ship.
- fix: some cache files could be saved empty if memory block was exactly 24000*planes_nb& (happened with 16 colors screenmode).
Editor:
- add: levels 2, 3, 4, 5
- add: uses the game image cache to quickly load the graphics (if same color screenmode and if XENON2.INF is found).
- add: in sprite selector, infos on sprite id and foe name.
- add: foes which are link to the scenery are displayed instead of white line trigger.
- fix: could not edit level (forgot to verify after package-bonus management add, sorry).

Next on the roadmap are half-boss and boss. I need to pause a little to study on a next release of PolarSSL.ldg and a fix for the DGEM level editor (if I have clues).

This game project need a very high-end atari machine or emulator. FireBee or Falcon+CT60 are advised. AtariX/macOS is pretty cool. TT-RAM and modern VDI are also advised. Disabling the background stars may help on slower machines like Milan.

For those who didn't play the original game, note that the ship is sluggish, you gain quickness by catching or buying mobility capsules.
If you want to work on better level design please do not put half-boss and boss, there's may be some changes.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 am

Great Rajah! Thanx!
I will have to check X2 on my FireBee :)

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Thu May 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Cleaning up my website with a new theme, I have decided to add a blog post and use a permanent folder to the project.
X2 Project: blog (someone asked for snapshots) or directly

Sorry for the inconvenience.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am

Thanks for this project. I tried it on Falcon with CT63 but after double clicking it looks as it starts loading it, but stays in this state forever. Well, at least for 40 minutes.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri May 25, 2018 12:09 pm

@jury: presence of window (with progress bar) or the freeze is before? what environnement do you have (NVDI? monoTOS or MagiC or FreeMiNT?).
I usually forget to test under old monoTOS.

mzry
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mzry » Fri May 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Rajah, I really like that you are making Gem conversions of games. This is absolutely brilliant, thank you.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Fri May 25, 2018 5:01 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:@jury: presence of window (with progress bar) or the freeze is before? what environnement do you have (NVDI? monoTOS or MagiC or FreeMiNT?).
I usually forget to test under old monoTOS.

Did not know there is a progress bar, it freezes right away after double click on prg.
Env is plain TOS with NVDI 5.03. Will try later under FreeMiNT.

Edit:
Checked also under FreeMiNT ( 1.19 ) and it behaves the same, freeze immediately after double click.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sat May 26, 2018 8:16 pm

@mzry: thank you very much!

@jury: thanks for the tests. Sorry, I have worked hard to find something, but I don't think my fixes will help. Maybe the fix (1), and less maybe the fix (2), that both occur before the progress bar appears. The previous archive was correct. Tested it on Aranym + TOS 4 + NVDI 5, that looks like a bit at your configuration, and found bugs, so new version proposed. Sorry for numerous releases.
I suggest you to:
- be careful of your disk transfers (IDE on CT60, even more on SCSI if your Falcon is not patched).
- delete the related INF file, or the previous game folder.
I may find the cause in the future but all is now OK on my systems.

X2 project (20180526): blog or directly
- fix (1): bad RSC object numbers in preferences window.
- fix (2): increase initial GFA malloc to $m384000 at launch.
- fix: the .XYL files were not properly closed, GEMDOS error -35 under monoTOS4 or EmuTOS-only.
- fix: progress bar for levels maps loading.
- fix (3): workstation_format value included in the cache validity test.
- fix: zoom *2 couldn’t be selected if screen width was exactly 640px.
- add (4): built-in zoom for 16c and 256c chunky screenmodes (pixels packed format).
- fix: level3 tadpole nest and level3 mouth still blocked the way after their death.

DGEM 1.2C: blog or directly
- fix (3): workstation format value (interleaved-planes vs pixel packed = chunky) is tested for the cache validation.
- add (4): built-in zoom also available for 16 and 256 colors pixels packed screenmodes.

Comments:
(3) : AtariX/macOS proposed two 16 colors modes, one classic interleaves planes and one 'chunky' pixel packed. This confuses the caches, so I had to add the 'workstation format' value in the cache header for validation.
(4) : built-in zoom is too slow with X2, but is pretty cool with DGEM. This allow bigger view for those who have ISA/PCI graphics card on TT, mid-level machines, or FireBee, where chunky screenmodes are more common.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Sun May 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks a lot for trying to fix it. Unfortunaltely it behaves the same. I even changed CT63 to a different one to exclude the CT fault.
If I switch to 030 mode it loads fine and starting game was OK. Of course the speed of this was about 1 frame every 2 seconds :)

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:51 pm

X2 project (20180728): blog or directly
- add: remaining foes: levels 2 3 4 5 mid-boss' and boss', level 3 sinus fish.
- opt: to avoid huge subroutines (GFA compiler problem) and slowliness (numerous GFA select-case), some subroutines are level-splitted.
- opt: precalc table and computations with integers (instead of floats) for random values.
- add: scroll events (for stop and backward scrolling).
- fix: code cleaning.
- fix: super zapper now effective on levels 2 3 4 5 (except mid-boss and boss).
- fix: super nashwan power could be permanent.
- fix: level 3 up/down spore shooter vulnerable smaller area
- add: if game paused, « (paused) » label on main window.
- add: for tests, key "J" for screen jump in the level (keys "1" "2" "3" "4" "5" still active for tests).

Huge thanks to Lonny Pursell for his help.

As said, all foes are implemented. Use J key to jump in the level, but jumping too far may not trigger some foes appearance. You can locate the mid-boss' and boss' with the level editor. There may be changes for the foes behavior and moves in the future.

Next on the roadmap is Crispin's shop and levels transitions. I have to work on the µAlchimie V party this fall and study Vietnamese language, so my Atari devs will be slow. I hope to release next WIP version in december, though.

Some have seen mid-boss' and boss' videos on my facebook account. I plan to make a youtube video this August, but need to buy a tripod for my smartphone for stability.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Here it is.
- 256 colors screenmode on FireBee. The speed is nearly the same on 32 bits screenmode if "background stars" display is disabled.
- joystick is an old speedking, to avoid right click, the mouse cursor must be placed in a safe unclickable zone.
- play fast or jump to level 2, the level 1 is already known from previous videos.
- forgot to cath the level 3 fish boss (different from the original game, here more like a scorpion fish), sorry.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Congrats Rajah!
This is looking great!
Considering this is done in GFA Basic and it works in GEM ... Hats off ...

I will try it soon on my FireBee :)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:45 am

Wow.... looks great
Great great work there !!
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

MadMax2023

Postby MadMax2023 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:47 am

I played Xenon2 for gem, nice project.
The game is playable but slow on my CT63, i read in the doc that there is a way to use the video memory of the video card to speed up things. I have a Radeon 7000 on my CTPCI , but i was not able to activate any option in the preference menu.
Nothing appears to be clickable.
Anyway that's nice, i like gem programs because they are compatible on all atari.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Teenage Queen Reloaded 2.2B: blog or directly
- fix: wrong PCI detection, made FalconCT60 without PCI freeze at start in 060 mode.
Big thanks to STrider/MJJ Prod for his tests.

This bug occurs also in the X2 WIP current version. @jury: this is why your Falcon setup without PCI freezed, @MadMax2023: this may be also why your Radeon is not detected.

@MadMax2023: if you want more speed, try lower screenmode, such as 256 colors or TC16 mode. Or disable 'background stars' in the display preferences (this quickens a lot).

I'm currently working on the next X2 release; credits and interlude starfield screen are now there, but I may not have time to add Crispin's shop this month. Though, a WIP release will be available at the end of december 2018.

Playmobil

Postby Playmobil » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Thanks Rajha ! Keep courage !
Your work is amazing !
Kiss !

Social Media

Return to “Games”