News on my GEM games

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], Moderator Team

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: News on my GEM games

Postby Rajah Lone » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:45 am

vido wrote:Its a bit slow on the FireBee but with possible graphic card you think it would run faster?

- it's a bit slow in TC32 screenmode, but still acceptable, at least for me (compared to the ST original version).
- it's pretty smooth in 256c screenmode. I don't like to swap/change screenmodes for one application, but it's worth the effort here.

If Radeon+PCI card comes out for the FireBee, it will be quicker: VRAM of the video card is used, like in CT60+SV (thanks to Didier Mequignon CT60 XBIOS functions), VDI blitting will be done directly without TT/STRAM transfers.

I don't know how the built-in video chip works on the FireBee, but it has its own RAM. Is it possible to use the free memory (most is used to display the screen) for third party applications?
Last edited by Rajah Lone on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Nice to see one of my statements come to live: Doesn't matter what language you program in, as long as the hardware is fast enough it's still good enough.
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 pm

DGEM 1.2B: blog or directly
- fix: a cache file could be empty if one of the memory block was exactly 24000*nb_plan& bytes. This happened in the 16 colors screenmode, some of the raster loaded from the cache were displayed corrupted.

Sorry about this update. I found this bug causing possible nasty display at second launch, when using the cache. I don't think anyone plays DGEM, even less in 16c mode, but if you find the 0 byte file, empty by hand the cache and update the program (with the fix archive).

I'm currently working on the next release of my X2 project, the bug was also there. A step is done (level 2 3 4 5 are there, except for the bosses and half-bosses), I have to test and try to enhance a little the levels editor, then release a 'work in progress' version, probably this week-end.

Playmobil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Playmobil » Tue May 15, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks Rajah !

About DGEM, in the EDITOR, when I save my work sometimes the saved file is corrupted and so, I lose all my works...

My Engllish is so poor....

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm

@Playmobil: sorry for the inconvenience. If you find difficulties to write in English, then write a private message in French.
I would like to know the exact message (alert sent by the editor or message from the desktop ?) and I would appreciate to have your files to help the search (sinon ce sera comme chercher une aiguille dans une botte de foin). Thanks in advance. No urgency, I have to work first on X2 project, next on new polarssl.ldg release.

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Wed May 16, 2018 9:42 pm

I downloaded and tried DGEM in Hatari 2.1. I started in TrueColor 640x400 but all windows were black.
Started in 256 colors and then it looks a bit better. I can see the main game window, but it seems like the game does not start from the beginning? Looks like I'm at the final level/dungeon?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed May 16, 2018 10:16 pm

- NDVI or fVDI is strongly advised to obtain correct screen informations (such as number of colors and pixel structure).
- with TC16 or TC32 screenmode, even in 256 colors, the graphics take a huge amount of RAM. If your saw black, I think the game could not load the graphics due to a lack of RAM. Stock Falcon 14 MB RAM is not enough. TC16 -> 10 MB of converted images. TTRAM is strongly advised (32 Mo or more).

- The program contains a test/default labyrinth. Use the level editor to see the map and how it's populated. I'm not good at level design, and I hoped some people proposed their own dungeon and adventures, but no one did. If @Playmobil report a major bug 12 years after the 1.0 release of the editor, I guess it's nearly never used.

krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby krupkaj » Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 pm

I really like your DGEM Dungeon Master game. Thanks for your work on it. It would be really great if DGEM supports Dungeon Master 2.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 pm

@krupkaj: thanks. Sorry but DM2 is not in my projects. I took a huge amount of time using an Ultimate Ripper and scan the ingame memory to retreive all graphics. Lost my stamina to death doing that. I see there are now some convenient extractors. Technically, I can do a DM2 version (256 colors minimum), but that's why I'm not interested in it. Moreover, no dragon nor Lord Chaos in it, so it's not exciting.
I wasn't sure to be able to do it for DM+CSB rewrite, that was the big motivation. And now I have other projects to finish.

For a DM2 port, one should see some DM clones open projects and adapt, such as
https://github.com/gbsphenx/skproject
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=view/Clones

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sat May 19, 2018 2:38 am

X2 project (20180518): directly
Game:
- add: level 2, 3, 4, 5 with animated scenery and foes except half-boss and boss.
- add: for tests keys 1 2 3 4 5 of the main keyboard to change level.
- add: in the preferences, background stars display can be disabled. This speeds up display (2 big screen-sized masks avoided).
- fix: quicker collision detector map/ship.
- fix: some cache files could be saved empty if memory block was exactly 24000*planes_nb& (happened with 16 colors screenmode).
Editor:
- add: levels 2, 3, 4, 5
- add: uses the game image cache to quickly load the graphics (if same color screenmode and if XENON2.INF is found).
- add: in sprite selector, infos on sprite id and foe name.
- add: foes which are link to the scenery are displayed instead of white line trigger.
- fix: could not edit level (forgot to verify after package-bonus management add, sorry).

Next on the roadmap are half-boss and boss. I need to pause a little to study on a next release of PolarSSL.ldg and a fix for the DGEM level editor (if I have clues).

This game project need a very high-end atari machine or emulator. FireBee or Falcon+CT60 are advised. AtariX/macOS is pretty cool. TT-RAM and modern VDI are also advised. Disabling the background stars may help on slower machines like Milan.

For those who didn't play the original game, note that the ship is sluggish, you gain quickness by catching or buying mobility capsules.
If you want to work on better level design please do not put half-boss and boss, there's may be some changes.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 am

Great Rajah! Thanx!
I will have to check X2 on my FireBee :)

Social Media

Return to “Games”