ST Demos on YouTube

All about ST/STE demos

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

ST Demos on YouTube

Postby bod/STAX » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:28 pm

Has anyone tried to search for ST demos on YouTube?

I was messing around tonight and found that someone had actually recorded the intro to Xenon II and after a quick search there are about 15 pages of recordings of ST demos (of which some certainly don't do the originals any justice).

Why watch a recording and just download Saint or Steem, get the disk images and watch them in their full glory?

EDIT: Ok, perhaps these were recorded through Saint but after converting to Flash format it doesn't do the ST any favours.

keops
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby keops » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:36 pm

Demos with dots/lines/starfields look the worst, blame the compression algos.

However it's still interesting to be able to have a quick look at a prod online when you don't have an emu or the real machine at end.

But indeed, it looks really bad :)

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:44 pm

Well, at least it makes them a bit more accessible for people who dunno/don't care to figure out an emulator. I saw some Falcon/TT stuff there a while ago, before any reasonably working emulator was available (Hatari)...
tá'n poc ar buile!

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Maybe I was a little hasty with this thread. I mean we don't exactly get much coverage of old school ST demos over at demoscene.tv, do we?

So I suppost this is a good thing that someone is uploading videos that proved the ST could perform just as good as the Amiga (even though the vid's are as bad as they are).

guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby guythp » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:32 am

But we all know the ST could do what the amiga could with it's fat hardware chips. Even when it wasn't supposed to. So why the need to shout about it? :)
The Hairy Pies

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:39 am

true it helps promote demoscreens to those without an emulator (or even an Atari), although it's a bit of wasted bandwidth when the disk image would only be about 500k compressed. i wonder how long they last and if they include all the scrolltext...
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:53 pm

guythp wrote:But we all know the ST could do what the amiga could with it's fat hardware chips. Even when it wasn't supposed to. So why the need to shout about it? :)

Maybe we all know that, but nobody else does. For example, Amiga users don't know it... or any other non-Atarian :P

So if they can find a demo by just searching for "atari st" on youtube, that's a good thing.
I found some Turbografx-CD stuff there that was pretty impressive, just by accident really... I certainly had no plans to try downloading an emulator/roms etc.
tá'n poc ar buile!

guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby guythp » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:17 am

Fair do, but if someone's going to think to search for "atari st demo" on you tube then they'd have a pretty good idea about what the old grey beast is capable of. As you say amiga fanboys won't know and never will, so let's just hope they don't breed :wink:

.... Go on then, as I've NO IDEA about how to go about it.. How would one go about recording a demo to a video format (with the intention of uploading to to a video site... Let's say youtube)?
The Hairy Pies

Tomchi
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Tomchi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:37 am

SkylineDave wrote:true it helps promote demoscreens to those without an emulator (or even an Atari), although it's a bit of wasted bandwidth when the disk image would only be about 500k compressed. i wonder how long they last and if they include all the scrolltext...

Well, I had a look at Youtube, and I watched some impressive Falcon demos uploaded by evil/DHS, they look almost good quality and some of them last up to 8 minutes .

It's interesting to be able to give a look to them without downloading the image then running it under emulator as i just want to know what people do with this machine and yet i'm not much interested in doing stuffs with falcon.
that is instant acces and you can have a look at them on any computers.
There's no way to happiness, happiness is the way ...

Noextra

alephnaught
Retro freak
Retro freak

DHS Youtube videos

Postby alephnaught » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:28 am

DHS' Youtube page is great, isn't it? The only thing that appears to be missing from all those classic demos is Lazer's Lost Blubb, but you can get the video from the pouet.net page.

keops
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby keops » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:46 pm

Speaking of which, I read in an article that YouTube has become reponsible for 10% of the global internet traffic (bandwidth), that's amazing :)

alephnaught
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby alephnaught » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:44 pm

keops wrote:Speaking of which, I read in an article that YouTube has become reponsible for 10% of the global internet traffic (bandwidth), that's amazing :)

11% if DHS put up "Airdirt" by Senior Dads. ;)

guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby guythp » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:13 pm

It seems that a chap/ess by the name of zeusgb has put quite a few ST demos on (and thanks to him/her for that!).. Found that whilst facebooking for 'Atari ST', which shows facebook comes in useful sometimes..
The Hairy Pies

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: ST Demos on YouTube

Postby Cyprian » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:28 am

bod/STAX wrote:Has anyone tried to search for ST demos on YouTube?

I was messing around tonight and found that someone had actually recorded the intro to Xenon II and after a quick search there are about 15 pages of recordings of ST demos (of which some certainly don't do the originals any justice).

Why watch a recording and just download Saint or Steem, get the disk images and watch them in their full glory?

EDIT: Ok, perhaps these were recorded through Saint but after converting to Flash format it doesn't do the ST any favours.

These are my favourite sites:
http://www.youtube.com/user/leonardoxgygene
http://www.youtube.com/user/zeusgb
http://www.youtube.com/user/evldhsst
http://www.youtube.com/user/evldhs

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:17 pm

Just been watching Gunstick's DVD auto-changer and printer videos :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:40 pm

Great CD changer.

I've got a mate who's a programmer and he had to change disks by hand to burn multiple copes of CD's at work. This would have been great for him.

Social Media

Return to “Demos - General”