Joystick testing thread

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby AndreStarTrek » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:19 pm

paulbnl wrote:Post the complete boot log including pressing buttons on controller 1 and 2 with and without my file.

button press 1= controller 1 dpad down
button press 2= controller 1 (B)
button press 3= controller 2 dpad down
button press 4= controller 2 (B)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paulbnl
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby paulbnl » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Well it appears you have not used my MiSTer file because it would say version 200130 and you also don't have disable_usb_merge=1 in your MiSTer.ini.....

However it does not matter because the Arduino is detected as a single input device :

Code: Select all

Open up to 30 input devices.
opened 0( 0): /dev/input/event4 (195d:1411) 0 "" "Mionix Wei Mionix Wei Gaming Keyboard"
opened 1( 1): /dev/input/event3 (195d:1411) 0 "" "Mionix Wei Mionix Wei Gaming Keyboard Consumer Control"
opened 2( 2): /dev/input/event2 (195d:1411) 0 "" "Mionix Wei Mionix Wei Gaming Keyboard Mouse"
opened 3( 2): /dev/input/mouse0 (195d:1411) 0 "" "Mionix Wei Mionix Wei Gaming Keyboard Mouse"
opened 4( 4): /dev/input/event1 (195d:1411) 0 "" "Mionix Wei Mionix Wei Gaming Keyboard"
opened 5( 5): /dev/input/event0 (2341:8037) 0 "HIDEG" "Arduino LLC Arduino Micro"

Run lsusb -v and post the output.

AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AndreStarTrek » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:47 pm

paulbnl wrote:Well it appears you have not used my MiSTer file because it would say version 200130 and you also don't have disable_usb_merge=1 in your MiSTer.ini.....

However it does not matter because the Arduino is detected as a single input device :

Code: Select all

Open up to 30 input devices.
opened 0( 0): /dev/input/event4 (195d:1411) 0 "" "Mionix Wei Mionix Wei Gaming Keyboard"
opened 1( 1): /dev/input/event3 (195d:1411) 0 "" "Mionix Wei Mionix Wei Gaming Keyboard Consumer Control"
opened 2( 2): /dev/input/event2 (195d:1411) 0 "" "Mionix Wei Mionix Wei Gaming Keyboard Mouse"
opened 3( 2): /dev/input/mouse0 (195d:1411) 0 "" "Mionix Wei Mionix Wei Gaming Keyboard Mouse"
opened 4( 4): /dev/input/event1 (195d:1411) 0 "" "Mionix Wei Mionix Wei Gaming Keyboard"
opened 5( 5): /dev/input/event0 (2341:8037) 0 "HIDEG" "Arduino LLC Arduino Micro"

Run lsusb -v and post the output.

Sorry about that, I read over the part "that you wanted also with your files" I added that file also for good measure with the same key presses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paulbnl

Postby paulbnl » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:49 pm

It looks like they are using the HID descriptors incorrectly. There should be a HID descriptor per interface but they put both descriptors in the last interface and Linux will handle that as 1 device.

The Arduino Joystick Library's FAQ says that for Linux you have to put usbhid.quirks=0x2341:0x8037:0x040 in the cmdline. For MiSTer that can be done with a u-boot.txt file in the Linux folder.
https://github.com/MHeironimus/ArduinoJ ... y/wiki/FAQ

If it works then you should see multiple Arduino input devices in the log.

AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AndreStarTrek » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:16 pm

paulbnl wrote:It looks like they are using the HID descriptors incorrectly. There should be a HID descriptor per interface but they put both descriptors in the last interface and Linux will handle that as 1 device.

The Arduino Joystick Library's FAQ says that for Linux you have to put usbhid.quirks=0x2341:0x8037:0x040 in the cmdline. For MiSTer that can be done with a u-boot.txt file in the Linux folder.
https://github.com/MHeironimus/ArduinoJ ... y/wiki/FAQ

If it works then you should see multiple Arduino input devices in the log.

Unfortunately this did not work, not with the default or yours (disable_usb_merge) files.

This site gives a string to test it with in the console https://github.com/petergil/tac2duino

modprobe -r usbhid ; modprobe -v usbhid "quirks=0x2341:0x8037:0x040"

But this give me a FATAL or something:

modprobe: FATAL: Module usbhid is builtin.

paulbnl

Postby paulbnl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:04 pm

You are unlucky with 2 player adapters. This time Linux does not support the Arduino with 2 controllers. It would be easier to just use 2 adapters :D

But then you have to make sure the serial is different for both.

AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AndreStarTrek » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:39 pm

paulbnl wrote:You are unlucky with 2 player adapters. This time Linux does not support the Arduino with 2 controllers. It would be easier to just use 2 adapters :D

But then you have to make sure the serial is different for both.

Unlucky, yes you can say that :P

I do have a other pro micro laying around and yesterday i was at the point of doing what you suggested. But I wanted to wait out any reply here befor doing that. In the end i hate to use more usb ports because of something bit silly. But then again if it works it works. Bigger usb hub in not the end of the world.

About hid serial with a different board you can easly change it with in the boards.txt

Again i am thank full for everything you tryed.
Last edited by AndreStarTrek on Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:07 pm

just need to check system c/cpp files of arduino hid library and patch them.
I've fixed serial number in teensy3 library.

paulbnl

Postby paulbnl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:09 pm

This HID library seems to have support for both single report and multi report descriptors. The multi report is what's causing issues with Linux. Maybe you can do something with this.

https://github.com/NicoHood/HID
https://github.com/NicoHood/HID/wiki/API-Documentation
https://github.com/NicoHood/HID/blob/master/examples/Gamepad/Gamepad.ino#L8
https://github.com/NicoHood/HID/blob/master/src/SingleReport/SingleGamepad.cpp

AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AndreStarTrek » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:35 pm

Sorgelig wrote:just need to check system c/cpp files of arduino hid library and patch them.
I've fixed serial number in teensy3 library.

I been looking but I cant find what you pointing at. Could you be more specific? I am pretty new to this arduino stuff and programming is not one of my skills I master.

paulbnl wrote:This HID library seems to have support for both single report and multi report descriptors. The multi report is what's causing issues with Linux. Maybe you can do something with this.

https://github.com/NicoHood/HID
https://github.com/NicoHood/HID/wiki/API-Documentation
https://github.com/NicoHood/HID/blob/master/examples/Gamepad/Gamepad.ino#L8
https://github.com/NicoHood/HID/blob/master/src/SingleReport/SingleGamepad.cpp

The file I have added is one of the libraries files I use for the snes adapter script and they look comparable to the singlegamepad.cpp and I think it has to do with this at the beginning of the script.

#define JOYSTICK_REPORT_ID 0x03
#define JOYSTICK2_REPORT_ID 0x04

I tried to give them the same code but this does not do what i hoped, I think.
Last edited by AndreStarTrek on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AndreStarTrek » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:37 pm

Grrr button are to small on my phone wanted to hit edit not quote.

frankmonk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby frankmonk » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:22 pm

squidlr wrote:I'm trying to use an original Sega Saturn controller via a Mayflash to USB adapter but the controller doesn't seem to function correctly. The controller is detected, you can define keys and move your character sprite during games. However, the movement is not 1 to 1 pixel, your player/character will move in set blocks of movement, e.g 32 pixels before accepting a new input. Really hard to describe this, sorry!

It's a damn shame as I love the Saturn controller. I'm forced to use an Xbox360 dpad :(

Adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Saturn- ... 057&sr=8-2

Just received a Mayflash 2P Sega Saturn adapter that is acting the same way like yours. I really would like to get this one working for my saturn stick. Is there any chance it will receive an update or any changes that I can perform to get it properly working? I already tried to set the polling to off/on
thanks for your hard work btw!

frankmonk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby frankmonk » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:54 pm

frankmonk wrote:
squidlr wrote:I'm trying to use an original Sega Saturn controller via a Mayflash to USB adapter but the controller doesn't seem to function correctly. The controller is detected, you can define keys and move your character sprite during games. However, the movement is not 1 to 1 pixel, your player/character will move in set blocks of movement, e.g 32 pixels before accepting a new input. Really hard to describe this, sorry!

It's a damn shame as I love the Saturn controller. I'm forced to use an Xbox360 dpad :(

Adapter:

Just received a Mayflash 2P Sega Saturn adapter that is acting the same way like yours. I really would like to get this one working for my saturn stick. Is there any chance it will receive an update or any changes that I can perform to get it properly working? I already tried to set the polling to off/on

Alright! I got it working!
"6.Press and hold START and Button A for 3 seconds, the D-Pad and the left analog stick mode can be exchanged."
This fixed it for me using the MayFlash Adapter and it works absolutely great!

frankmonk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby frankmonk » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:40 pm

frankmonk wrote:

Adapter:

Alright! I got it working!
"6.Press and hold START and Button A for 3 seconds, the D-Pad and the left analog stick mode can be exchanged."
This fixed it for me using the MayFlash Adapter and it works absolutely great!

MrKarai
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MrKarai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:20 pm

Hello. I hope this is the correct topic to post this:

I bought a HORI Real Arcade Pro VX-SA for Xbox360 and changed the joystick for a Seimitsu-LS33-01. While the stick works fine under Win10, in the MISTer menu, when moving up or down, it oftentimes (but not always) skips a line as if I would be double tapping the stick. This is very annoying, especially when I select a rom. Is this a known bug or common behavior with X-Input devices?
Last edited by MrKarai on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:30 pm

MrKarai wrote:Hello. I hope this is the correct topic to post this:

I bought a HORI Real Arcade Pro VX-SA for Xbox360 and changed the joystick for a Seimitsu-LS33-01. While the stick works fine under Win10, in the MISTer menu, when moving up or down, it oftentimes (but not always) skips a line, which is very annoying, especially when I select a rom. Is this a known bug or common behaviour with X-Input devices?

this is specific to this controller. Probably it generates several codes for stick. Some gamepads use ugly way to simulate several standards at the same time. So they may generate analog events and at the same time send the button events. - this will always work buggy.

warham

Postby warham » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 pm

Is there any way to adjust sensitivity for spinner? I see an option in arkanoid to change resolutions low/med/high but it does not make any difference. I tested with a happ spinner joystick and also I tried with a spinner I made.
Both use the same resolution optical encoder wheel that the old arcade trackballs use.

Also, maybe its still being worked on.. but discs of tron does not work with the spinner.

MrKarai
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MrKarai » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:17 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
MrKarai wrote:Hello. I hope this is the correct topic to post this:

I bought a HORI Real Arcade Pro VX-SA for Xbox360 and changed the joystick for a Seimitsu-LS33-01. While the stick works fine under Win10, in the MISTer menu, when moving up or down, it oftentimes (but not always) skips a line, which is very annoying, especially when I select a rom. Is this a known bug or common behaviour with X-Input devices?

this is specific to this controller. Probably it generates several codes for stick. Some gamepads use ugly way to simulate several standards at the same time. So they may generate analog events and at the same time send the button events. - this will always work buggy.

DAMN! The weird thing is: Its predecessor, the HORI Real Arcade Pro EX (X360) as well as the later HORI Real Arcade Pro V Hayabusa (Switch; set to PC mode) work totally fine with MISTer. Anyway, thanks for replying as well as all your work, Sorgelig!

luke79
Retro freak
Retro freak

Connecting a DB15 arcade stick

Postby luke79 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi all, newbie here.
I have a mister setup with IO board and SDRAM expansion only.
I have a great DB15, neogeo layout, arcade stick I'm using with a supergun and MVS.
I'd like to hook it to the MiSTer, what are my best options ?
Should I preorder a blisster ? Is it the purpose of this board ?
Or should I buy a usb encoder and build a converter for DB15 to USB ?

Thanks !!!

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby crocky » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:26 pm

https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder

Open Source db15 to usb encoder I think $20 for parts and easy solder.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:57 pm

i think much less than $20.
Arduino Micro clones ~$5 only.

luke79
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby luke79 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:47 pm

crocky wrote:https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder

Ok, I'll give it a go!
So, it has to be this particular encoder ? Why not any other ?
And could someone explain me what's the purpose of the blisster ?!
Thanks

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:07 pm

luke79 wrote:And could someone explain me what's the purpose of the blisster ?!

to grab the money from naive people

warham

Postby warham » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 am

luke79 wrote:And could someone explain me what's the purpose of the blisster ?!

5 usb ports and two hdmi to usb ports that will accept original controllers input if you have the specific controller to hdmi adapter, LLAPI support, power switch.

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby crocky » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:01 pm

luke79 wrote:
crocky wrote:https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder

So, it has to be this particular encoder ? Why not any other ?

Thanks

The encoder itself is around $5 to $10 like Sorg said. Also since MickGyver wrote the code on this encoder it would be easy for you to follow it. If you have any coding experience then you might want to port it to other encoders, but that would seem extra work for little return.

Return to “MiSTer”