Joystick testing thread

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Glaurung
Atari freak
Atari freak

Fighting again with BT DS4 with usb board

Postby Glaurung » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:44 am

There is no way,I can't pair my original DS4 with my BT dongle plugged in my new USB sorgelig board.

In the past,I have paired without the usb board.
The usb board works well with other plugged devices.

Can anyone help me please?

I bought usb board because I thought I wouldnt have problems with this

Unforgivenll
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Joystick testing thread

Postby Unforgivenll » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:36 am

850 wrote:Anyone happen to know if the Ultimarc I-pac works?
https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac.html

I plan to put a miSTer with arcade cores into a bartop cabinet.

Did you get an answer to this?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:22 am

Got several day ago Mad Catz Arcade Stick XBox 360:
20200119_160532.jpg

Worked fine. I even made special support in MiSTer for its paddle(spinner). Unfortunately it's died at the same day. Not sure why. Just left it connected to MiSTer for a long time and later discovered it as dead. Neither MiSTer nor PC recognized it any more. Like connecting piece of wood to USB. Probably it's just coincidence, but also possible due to of jspoll/cpoll tweak, so joystick couldn't cope with 1ms query rate and due to buggy firmware wrote something into non-volatile memory beyond recovery. Bought another one on eBay - so will see if it will die or not :)
Soldering inside was awful - full of residue like in good old ages of Made in China :)

Anyway, i've revived it through Teensy 3.2 :)
20200119_145315.jpg

Looks scary, but it's nothing more than connection to every button/switch/led. Thanks to many GPIOs on Teensy - everything get connected. Now i have 72MHz joystick :) It's officially 1ms compatible now. Has some extra features like integrated paddle support with analog output (unlike pulses on original circuit) and 90 degree rotation mode when small stick becomes a left stick, so with one button press you may turn it into traditional gamepad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mutmuthux
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby mutmuthux » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:29 am

^ nice stick.
is the teensy code on git ?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 am

Teensy library has joystick support originally.
So it's just a matter of sending GPIO state to Joystick.XXX function. No much to code.

mutmuthux
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby mutmuthux » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:31 am

OK, thanks.
time to buy one to play around upgrading an old stick

AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AndreStarTrek » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 pm

I got two adapters from aliexpress, a 2 player snes to usb and a nes to usb. Both of them are the one from the start topic as working.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000290513158.html

But I have been trying to get the snes working but wen I got all button of both controllers working and i go to a core, one of the controllers lose al the buttons except the dpad. Wen i reset the mister the same controllers wont work with the mister menu except again only the dpad.

What am I doing wrong?

warham
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby warham » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:26 am

AndreStarTrek wrote:I got two adapters from aliexpress, a 2 player snes to usb and a nes to usb. Both of them are the one from the start topic as working.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000290513158.html

But I have been trying to get the snes working but wen I got all button of both controllers working and i go to a core, one of the controllers lose al the buttons except the dpad. Wen i reset the mister the same controllers wont work with the mister menu except again only the dpad.

What am I doing wrong?

I would try some different powered usb hubs. As for resetting and losing menu control, sometimes you need to power cycle to get the menu working again in my usage.

AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AndreStarTrek » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:29 pm

warham wrote:I would try some different powered usb hubs. As for resetting and losing menu control, sometimes you need to power cycle to get the menu working again in my usage.

I have try that but and many more. If power cycle the mister also loses the buttens except the dpad of one of the controllers. It look like it is always the first controller that is been setup. I also tried all the switch option on the controller adapter, setting 1 and A wil not work at all for the second controller. If I connect the adapter on my windows 10 pc in the 1 option it wil see 1 usb device and in option 2, 2 usb devices. But the problem could be that both of them are using the same device ID number, there is also only one file saved on the mister sdcard. Can mister handel 2 of the same devices with the same usb device ID's?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:25 pm

MiSTer has no problem with several gamepads with the same VID/PID. Problem can be with some improper devices using non-empty SAME serial number for every device.

squidlr
Atarian
Atarian

Postby squidlr » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:16 pm

I'm trying to use an original Sega Saturn controller via a Mayflash to USB adapter but the controller doesn't seem to function correctly. The controller is detected, you can define keys and move your character sprite during games. However, the movement is not 1 to 1 pixel, your player/character will move in set blocks of movement, e.g 32 pixels before accepting a new input. Really hard to describe this, sorry!

It's a damn shame as I love the Saturn controller. I'm forced to use an Xbox360 dpad :(

Adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Saturn- ... 057&sr=8-2

AndreStarTrek
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AndreStarTrek » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Sorgelig wrote:MiSTer has no problem with several gamepads with the same VID/PID. Problem can be with some improper devices using non-empty SAME serial number for every device.

Yes I later read about that. I been searching a bit more and I be leave P1 and P2 both have the same input on the dpad but all other buttons are a bit different. I have made two different .map files for each controller and copy them so I could compare them and they are different, as seen on the picture below.

Also I have looked at the device ID with in windows (Seen in the same picture) and they are little bit different with MI_00 and MI_01 on the end. Could maybe used to identify one from the other.

If this is not something that can be fixed, it would like to suggest that this particular adapter not be listed in first post as working or noted that only one port can be used.

I hope that there is a solution for this problem seen I have also a 2 port Nes adapter to usb from the same maker, it would be a shame to throw them out.

Last edited by AndreStarTrek on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BasketSnake
Atarian
Atarian

Postby BasketSnake » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:39 pm

Any chance for the xbox one bluetooth controller support? I use mine wired and it doesn't work at all.

paulbnl

Postby paulbnl » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 pm

Sorgelig wrote:MiSTer has no problem with several gamepads with the same VID/PID. Problem can be with some improper devices using non-empty SAME serial number for every device.

Why not add an option with VIDs in MiSTer.ini to disable merging by serial number for these gamepads?

More and more people report this issue.

warham

Postby warham » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:48 am

BasketSnake wrote:Any chance for the xbox one bluetooth controller support? I use mine wired and it doesn't work at all.

not sure if your asking for wired support since you mention bt and wired but the revision of xbox one controller with bt will connect to an 8bitdo orange brick usb receiver.

BasketSnake
Atarian
Atarian

Postby BasketSnake » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:58 am

warham wrote:
BasketSnake wrote:Any chance for the xbox one bluetooth controller support? I use mine wired and it doesn't work at all.

not sure if your asking for wired support since you mention bt and wired but the revision of xbox one controller with bt will connect to an 8bitdo orange brick usb receiver.

Asking about wired mode. Thanks.

Milongero
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Milongero » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:02 am

Does anyone have a suggestion for a spinner or a paddle that works with the Mister?

Lutz

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:58 pm

Milongero wrote:Does anyone have a suggestion for a spinner or a paddle that works with the Mister?

Lutz

Joystick on my picture above has spinner.
This probably one of few joystick having many buttons together with spinner (dpad is sucks on it). So it's pretty universal. In my rework of this arcade stick i've added more modes for spinner including paddle mode.
Actually it's not so hard to make your own joystick with spinner using cheap arduino micro and rotary encoder.

marra
Atarian
Atarian

Postby marra » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:06 pm

As anyone heard or tried a lioncast cast controller I was just looking on amazon and they are about £34.
Also if a controller works on a raspberry pi is there a good chance they will work on the mister? I'm currently using a usb snes Chinese pad and that works but I'm in the middle of a house move and will be making my own stick I just cant lay my hands on the parts so I'm looking for a cheap stick.

Milongero
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Milongero » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:40 pm

Thanks for the advice,
but I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer.
From Hyperkin there is a new Gampad with integrated paddle for the Atari 2600.
I already have a USB HUB with db9 ports
Anybody know the pad yet?
Do the original paddles from Atari actually work on the Mister?

https://www.hyperkin.com/ranger-premium ... erkin.html

Lutz

drj3rk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby drj3rk » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 pm

I apologize if something similar has been posted previously, but I noticed something that I *think* might be odd behavior.

I generally use either the Genesis Retro-bit Sega Collaboration controllers, or the wired SN30 8BitDo SNES-Style pads. These all work fine.

I also have an X-Gaming X-Arcade Dual Tank Stick (the trackball model) that has the newer interface board installed.

I had planned to use the SN30 pads as my default controls for most things in MiSTer, and only assign the arcade sticks for Neo Geo and Arcade cores. When I go to map it though, it says that it must be done via the main core first. So, I do map it there, which then allows me to use the arcade sticks in the Neo Geo core. That's great, but then it removes my mappings for the SN30 pads for the main core.

I guess I'm just curious if this SHOULD work, or if there's a way to force the arcade sticks to map in ONLY the Neo Geo or Arcade cores.

This isn't a huge deal, but it would be nice. I may just be overlooking something. :lol: Entirely possible.

One thing I didn't try is setting the arcade sticks up as alternate controls. Maybe that will work. I'll try when I get home today.

marra
Atarian
Atarian

Postby marra » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:19 pm

high5
Atari User
Atari User

Postby high5 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:24 am

marra wrote:Does anyone know if this stick would be suitable?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAYFLASH-ARCADE-STICK-F101-Switch-Black/dp/B07D26RD9P/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=mayflash+f101&qid=1580167176&sr=8-1
Mayflash F101
Supports XINPUT and DINPUT
The F300 is working fine for me, dont know about the F101.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:35 pm

drj3rk wrote:I had planned to use the SN30 pads as my default controls for most things in MiSTer, and only assign the arcade sticks for Neo Geo and Arcade cores. When I go to map it though, it says that it must be done via the main core first. So, I do map it there, which then allows me to use the arcade sticks in the Neo Geo core. That's great, but then it removes my mappings for the SN30 pads for the main core.

It shouldn't happen unless i don't understand what are you doing. Menu core uses standard mapping you did in OSD. All other cores can use either default mapping or you define in the core whatever you want. Menu core won't be affected.

drj3rk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby drj3rk » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:40 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
drj3rk wrote:I had planned to use the SN30 pads as my default controls for most things in MiSTer, and only assign the arcade sticks for Neo Geo and Arcade cores. When I go to map it though, it says that it must be done via the main core first. So, I do map it there, which then allows me to use the arcade sticks in the Neo Geo core. That's great, but then it removes my mappings for the SN30 pads for the main core.

It shouldn't happen unless i don't understand what are you doing. Menu core uses standard mapping you did in OSD. All other cores can use either default mapping or you define in the core whatever you want. Menu core won't be affected.

Thanks for the reply! I'll just give it another try. It could actually be the the Tank Stick. It maps ok in OSD, and then works fine in other cores, but then if I map another controller, it seems to drop the Tank Stick. It could be hardware ID related, or something else. I tried it in XInput and DInput modes, and it was the same. However, I didn't exhaust all possibilities. I just thought I'd ask in case anyone had seen something similar. Thanks again!

Return to “MiSTer”