1040 STE : floppy drive issue

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizzy33
Atarian
Atarian

1040 STE : floppy drive issue

Postby dizzy33 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Hello,

since this morning, my 1040 STE does not read any games anymore. I loaded International Karate using my Gotek, just before the game started some bombs were displayed and the STE crashed. Since then, when I start my STE, the STE tries to boot the floppy (Gotek) then display the desktop but with no floppy icons (the desktop is empty). I tested the Gotek on a 520 ST and it is working fine. So the problem comes from somewhere in the STE motherboard. I think the problem may come from the C302434 (AJAX) which is the floppy controler, I tried to reseat it but no luck.
As the STE behave like if there was no floppy drive connected, do you think the issue may come from the C302434 ?
If yes, do you know where I can buy one ?

Thanks a lot !

Mindthreat
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: 1040 STE : floppy drive issue

Postby Mindthreat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:35 pm

I'm having similar issues with my STe and Gotek as well. Did you try a different USB drive and make sure it's under 4GB?

My first one was working fine and then it would give me 2 bombs when trying to launch the hotz.prg , taking the USB to a PC and all the folders and file names are garbled and the drive says it's read only now so basically trashed and not usable anymore. I formatted another USB and set it up in the boot loader in the beginning but it's still giving 2 bombs now when trying to launch the program.

Haven't done anything different, can't help but feel these drives just aren't very reliable or are they STe specific-related? Frustrating to say the least.. I'm thinking it's time for me to consider alternative options, though I'm unsure if the CF card reader is available anymore for these?
"My attempt at trying to create cool things for the Atari Jaguar:" - http://www.RISCGames.com

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”