NeoGeo topic

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

jca
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby jca » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:10 pm

I do not know the answer to your question but since I discovered this new games directory I moved everything there and it works.
BUT ... I do not use any update script I do everything manually. If you use the update script I guess things could be different.
I decided to move everything in order to have a "clean" "root" directory and this is a work in progress as I am redoing my SD card. For example I did not yet take care of several System cores like the Mac, ... for which I had directories in the "root".

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Both places are valid.
/media/fat/<CORE> has priority. It it's found, then it will be used regardless if you have anything in /media/fat/games/<CORE>
So, if you want to use /media/fat/games/<CORE> then you need to delete /media/fat/<CORE>

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Ok, thanks. But then I would say, if the update script is used, then it should be "/media/fat/games/<CORE>". Otherwise the updated files are not used.

@jca. Thanks. Btw, "/media/fat/games/NeoGeo/games" directory is not necessary for the games. I think it's better to put the games in "/media/fat/games/NeoGeo" to avoid entering the "games" directory every time the core is started.

I can really recommend the update script, even if you want to maintain a clean directory structure. I create directories and copy new cores manually on the SD card, with a filter in "Scripts/update.ini".

Code: Select all

CREATE_CORES_DIRECTORIES="false"
DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="false"
REPOSITORIES_FILTER="Gameboy GBA Genesis NeoGeo NES SMS SNES TurboGrafx16 1942 1943 Arkanoid BurgerTime DonkeyKong Frogger Galaga Galaxian GnG NinjaKun Pacman PacmanClub PacmanPlus RallyX Scramble Xevious"

If I add a new core, the filter needs to be updated as well. With this configuration, update takes much less time and does not create unwanted files/directories.

To see how the directory structure is created, you can prepare a second SD card and run update without a filter. Just put the update script to "/media/fat/Scripts/update.sh". Pretty easy. :D

jca
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jca » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:48 pm

yoshi41 wrote:...

@jca. Thanks. Btw, "/media/fat/games/NeoGeo/games" directory is not necessary for the games. I think it's better to put the games in "/media/fat/games/NeoGeo" to avoid entering the "games" directory every time the core is started.

I can really recommend the update script, even if you want to maintain a clean directory structure. I create directories and copy new cores manually on the SD card, with a filter in "Scripts/update.ini".

First, thanks to Sorge to explain how it works.
When I initially moved from /media/fat/NEOGEO to /media/fat/games/NEOGEO I tried to get rid of this games subdirectory but I messed up something. Now I got rid of it without any problem.
Regarding the update script I think Windows gave me an acute allergy to automatic/semi-automatic updates :lol: .
But contrary to Windows with its scores of monthly updates MISTer does not (but they are very welcome, my thanks to the developers). I think once a SD card is setup doing manual updates is no big deal. When starting with a clean SD card I am sure it is a must.
Jean-Claude

jca
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jca » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:51 pm

I was curious about the new romset.xml file and tried to open it and get an error on line 37: duplicate atribute.
<romset name="bstars,bstarsh" pcm="0" vromb_offset="2097152" altname="Baseball Stars Professional" publisher="SNK" year="1990" vromb_offset="0x200000"/>
vromb_offset is the duplicate. I do not know if it is a problem for MISTer.

Piacenti
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Piacenti » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:34 am

Piacenti wrote:With the latest core update (yesterday) my screen is flashing once in about 5 seconds. It was perfect before the update. Using HDMI, vsync adjust 2, 1080p.

Sorge, can you please take a look at the last update code (nov, 25). Somehow it screwed out my video, it keeps “failing” once about 3-5 seconds, like a screen flashing, as I said before. All the previous releases are perfect here. My setup is a Sony 900e series and a Denon receiver.

I tried a new screen right now (a Dell gsync monitor) and the issue does not exist, so maybe it’s a issue with the Denon or Sony TV. All other updated cores are fine with the Sony+Denon set.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:41 am

use version posted there till new release: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/issues/59

Piacenti
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Piacenti » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:07 am

Sorgelig wrote:use version posted there till new release: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/issues/59

Thanks friend, really appreciated!

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:36 am

Hi ! Sorry if this is a trivial question, but is it possible to have the picture use a smaller fraction of the screen (scale it by a smaller factor) so that it looks less blocky / pixellized ?

Edit : asking this in a more relevant thread
Last edited by mahen on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

Piacenti
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Piacenti » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:57 am

Piacenti wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:use version posted there till new release: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/issues/59

Thanks friend, really appreciated!

It’s perfect now! Awesome work!

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Locutus73 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:47 pm

yoshi41 wrote:I use the update script since a while, to keep everything updated and in sync. I really like it!

Now I recognized there's a new folder "games", in my case with "NeoGeo" and "GameBoy" subdirectories.

I didn't know about the "games" folder and was wondering whether there's a separate thread for such changes?

The updater has a GAMES_SUBDIR option since 2019-11-10. It specifies where the updater expects specific core directories, in order to perform specific tasks, i.e. downloading NeoGeo xml, GameBoy palettes, creating core subdirs, etc.
When GAMES_SUBDIR="" the updater searches for /media/fat/games and uses it when found, otherwise it will use /media/fat.
If something external (i.e. some core) autocreates /media/fat/games, the updater will use it and put there the NeoGeo xml and other stuff (this would explain the NeoGeo and GameBoy dirs).

Regards.

Locutus73

mahen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mahen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Edit : wrong thread
Amiga user non-stop since 1993 ;-)
Win 1997-2001 / MorphOS 2002-2005 / Linux since 2005

jca
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jca » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:00 am

Can anyone try Baseball Stars Professional (either one)?
Thanks

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:07 am

Locutus73 wrote:The updater has a GAMES_SUBDIR option since 2019-11-10.

Added GAMES_SUBDIR="/media/fat" to update.ini. Now it's back to previous behaviour, updating /media/fat instead of /media/fat/games. Thanks!

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Locutus73 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:00 am

yoshi41 wrote:
Locutus73 wrote:The updater has a GAMES_SUBDIR option since 2019-11-10.

Added GAMES_SUBDIR="/media/fat" to update.ini. Now it's back to previous behaviour, updating /media/fat instead of /media/fat/games. Thanks!

As I previously stated, if you don’t use and delete /media/fat/games, the script will use /media/fat with GAMES_SUBDIR=""
I think you had the unwanted /media/fat/games because something automatically created it (and consequently the updater used it).
With your option the updater will use /media/fat regardless of games subdir existence.

Regards.

Locutus73

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 am

Locutus73 wrote:[I think you had the unwanted /media/fat/games because something automatically created it (and consequently the updater used it).

Ok, removed GAMES_SUBDIR from update.ini and it works as expected. As you said, something must have automatically created this games directory. Hope it doesn't happen again.

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:54 pm

Now I have this games directory again. Can't tell what's creating it, but a simple reboot recreates /media/fat/games. :?

djsquare
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby djsquare » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:42 pm

Looks like Neo Geo CD is coming soon :cheers:

Piacenti
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Piacenti » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:43 pm

djsquare wrote:Looks like Neo Geo CD is coming soon :cheers:

Holy *** !!!!

Atari4Life
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Atari4Life » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Sprogus wrote:
ZEENPR wrote:Sorry my english is not very good.

I'm very happy as a that the core was released. The Neo Geo is favorite console so I'm happy that I been patronizing Jotego, Furtek and Sorgelig. I hope the x68000 will get a new more compatible core.

I have a problem with this core.

I have all the files required in the Neo Geo folder And downloaded the Neo Geo Roll-Up BETA 3.1 2019-03-04 and extracted the games. For some reason when I try to open the game Roms I only see the games folders empty.

Hey. The Neogeo folder needs to be on the root of the SD card and you need the romset.xml file in the neogeo folder.

When downloading the romset.xml folder, you need to select it from github>Right click on raw and save as. You can't save as from the romset.xml link.

THANK YOU! I don't understand why this isn't in the readme. I spent an hour dicking around trying to figure out why it was blank all the time.

testing123
Atarian
Atarian

Postby testing123 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Currently going through the MVS library A-Z and noticing a lot of quirks just like the below documented issue in a large number of games amongst other oddities.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/issues/18

Got up to Last Resort and taken a photo or written up the issues as I come across them. My question is should I continue doing this or are there people already going through the library to look for this stuff or should I keep going and document everything I see?

nakedarthur
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nakedarthur » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:29 am

Finally got a 128mb stick so I've been checking out some more games. Everything plays great so far, but I did notice a music dropout in Shock Troopers on the Mountain route, about halfway through Stage 1.

cacophony
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby cacophony » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:32 am

testing123 wrote:Currently going through the MVS library A-Z and noticing a lot of quirks just like the below documented issue in a large number of games amongst other oddities.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/issues/18

Got up to Last Resort and taken a photo or written up the issues as I come across them. My question is should I continue doing this or are there people already going through the library to look for this stuff or should I keep going and document everything I see?

As far as I know nobody else is doing testing this thorough, so please continue! I think documenting the issues you find on github would be very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do this! :cheers:

testing123
Atarian
Atarian

Postby testing123 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:26 am

cacophony wrote:As far as I know nobody else is doing testing this thorough, so please continue! I think documenting the issues you find on github would be very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do this! :cheers:

cool, will carry on then. i dont have the time to complete each game in their entirety but am trying to at least go through introductions / attract sequences (which show the most issues so far, many instances just like you see in turf masters with single pixel lines being missing or incorrectly placed) and play a few credits of each game, check continue or game over screens etc. so whilst it will not be totally comprehensive should still be a good base to work from.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:47 pm

djsquare wrote:Looks like Neo Geo CD is coming soon :cheers:

I am sure it is inevitable, but where did you hear specific news of this? I keep wondering how much of the Sega CD code is now being used for other CD cores.

Return to “MiSTer”