Arcade cores

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

gaz68
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Arcade cores

Postby gaz68 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:18 pm

New arcade core released - Donkey Kong Junior.

Get it from here:

https://github.com/gaz68

Enjoy!

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:46 pm

On the topic of not getting roms to build...

On some arcades (listed below) when I run their windows batch file; the black window will open and suddenly disappear.

I have the correct non merged files, everything is in a root file and all of that.

Both Asteroids
Birdiy
Lunar Lander
Silver Land
Uniwars
Victory

hyperterminal
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby hyperterminal » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:26 pm

gaz68 wrote:New arcade core released - Donkey Kong Junior.

Thank you very much for your work!

Do you also plan to provide a compiled rbf of Donkey Kong with your latest fixes?

I had some problems creating the roms dkongjrj and dkongjnrj because some file names were different in the MAME romset I had. In case someone has the same problem, here are the batch commands that created working roms for me:

Code: Select all

rem dkongjr Donkey Kong Junior (US set F-2)
copy /b djr1-c_5b_f-2.5b+djr1-c_5c_f-2.5c+djr1-c_5e_f-2.5e+djr1-v.3p+djr1-v.3n+djr1-c_5b_f-2.5b+djr1-v_7c.7c+djr1-v_7c.7c+djr1-v_7d.7d+djr1-v_7d.7d+djr1-v_7e.7e+djr1-v_7e.7e+djr1-v_7f.7f+djr1-v_7f.7f+djr1-c_3h.3h+djr1-c-2e.2e+djr1-c-2f.2f+djr1-v-2n.2n+empty.bin+dkj_wave.bin "Donkey Kong Junior (US set F-2).rom"

rem dkongjrj Donkey Kong Jr. (Japan)
copy /b djr1-c_5b_f-2.5b+djr1-c_5c_f-2.5c+djr1-c_5e_f-2.5e+djr1-v.3p+djr1-v.3n+djr1-c_5b_f-2.5b+djr1-v_7c.7c+djr1-v_7c.7c+djr1-v_7d.7d+djr1-v_7d.7d+djr1-v_7e.7e+djr1-v_7e.7e+djr1-v_7f.7f+djr1-v_7f.7f+djr1-c_3h.3h+djr1-c-2e.2e+djr1-c-2f.2f+djr1-v-2n.2n+empty.bin+dkj_wave.bin "Donkey Kong Jr. (Japan).rom"

rem dkongjnrj Donkey Kong Junior (Japan set F-1)
copy /b dkjp.5b+dkjp.5c+dkjp.5e+dkj.3p+dkj.3n+dkjp.5b+v_7c.bin+v_7c.bin+v_7d.bin+v_7d.bin+v_7e.bin+v_7e.bin+v_7f.bin+v_7f.bin+c_3h.bin+c-2e.bpr+c-2f.bpr+v-2n.bpr+empty.bin+dkj_wave.bin "Donkey Kong Junior (Japan set F-1).rom"

rem dkongjrb Donkey Kong Jr. (bootleg)
copy /b dkjr1+c_5ca.bin+c_5ea.bin+dkjr10+v_3na.bin+dkjr1+v_7c.bin+v_7c.bin+v_7d.bin+v_7d.bin+v_7e.bin+v_7e.bin+v_7f.bin+v_7f.bin+c_3h.bin+c-2e.bpr+c-2f.bpr+v-2n.bpr+empty.bin+dkj_wave.bin "Donkey Kong Jr. (bootleg).rom"

rem dkongjrpb Donkey Kong Junior (P kit, bootleg)
copy /b dkjr1-c.5b-p+dkjr1-c.5c-p+dkjr1-c.5e+dkj.3p+dkj.3n+dkjr1-c.5b-p+v_7c.bin+v_7c.bin+v_7d.bin+v_7d.bin+v_7e.bin+v_7e.bin+v_7f.bin+v_7f.bin+c_3h.bin+c-2e.bpr+c-2f.bpr+v-2n.bpr+empty.bin+dkj_wave.bin "Donkey Kong Junior (P kit, bootleg).rom"

rem jrking Junior King (bootleg of Donkey Kong Jr.)
copy /b b5.bin+c5.bin+e5.bin+p3.bin+n3.bin+b5.bin+c7.bin+d7.bin+e7.bin+f7.bin+c_3h.bin+c-2e.bpr+c-2f.bpr+v-2n.bpr+empty.bin+dkj_wave.bin "Junior King (bootleg of Donkey Kong Jr.).rom"

brunosilva
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby brunosilva » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:48 pm

why dont you update the zip files from mame?
get 0.214 from many internet places...

gaz68
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gaz68 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:09 pm

hyperterminal wrote:Thank you very much for your work!

Do you also plan to provide a compiled rbf of Donkey Kong with your latest fixes?

I had some problems creating the roms dkongjrj and dkongjnrj because some file names were different...

You're welcome. Thanks for the commands. I used the latest MAME ROM's I could find. I'm not sure which version of the ROM's is the best to use.

I have already fixed the Donkey Kong bug that you described on the previous page. This has now been merged into the main MiSTer repo but no new binary has been released by the MiSTer dev team as yet. The other changes I made to Donkey Kong Junior were mainly sound improvements which I expect I will also add to the Donkey Kong core at some point.

elvisa
Atarian
Atarian

Postby elvisa » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:00 am

nathanhardie wrote:On some arcades (listed below) when I run their windows batch file; the black window will open and suddenly disappear.

Instead of running the .bat file from the GUI, run it from within a cmd window. The output will persist after it runs, and you can troubleshoot it (or copy/paste it in here, and we can help).

bazza12
Atariator
Atariator

Postby bazza12 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:26 am

gaz68 wrote:New arcade core released - Donkey Kong Junior.

hey gaz ..many many thanks for your hard work :) :cheers:

Zeosstud
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Zeosstud » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:33 am

Cheers for all the hard work from CoMo too..

I have tried, tirelessly, to remap buttons for Joust, Robotron and Stargate and no matter what I do, things are never saved or work, I feel confident that I know the process, I was able to map buttons in Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe without issue.

Any help or acknowledgement that it is just a bug would be appreciated..

Thanks

twohig5
Atarian
Atarian

Postby twohig5 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:56 pm

alanswx wrote:
alanswx wrote:
knc wrote:Just tried to build the Ms.Pacman rom using the bat file from a day ago and i get a MD5 of 6C75DA1E5C32807FDFF6EEB9F5A75AE3
which seems to be correct from looking at what the build_rom.ini is looking for but the gfx are corrupt on the menu and in game

anyone else have this problem ?

Sorry. The core is out of sync with the rom. We need to rebuild the core.

This core uses the new rom. It should have dip switches, mame keys, and working cocktail mode. Please let me know if there are bugs so I can fix them.

Thanks!

I'm still having the same problem with the current core, checksum matches but i get corrupt graphics, i grabbed the rbf from here but was curious if the fix will be merged into the main repository?

Macro
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Macro » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Does the Horz / Vert option seem back to front to anyone else ?

I thought it was wrong in the core I was working on, but didn't change it since it seems the same in every other vertically orientated driver I looked at.

Zeosstud
Atarian
Atarian

High Score Saving inside the Arcade Core

Postby Zeosstud » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:21 pm

Can anyone tell me if the ability to save the High Scores for individual arcade cores is being worked on.. Had a great game of Donkey Kong the other night, alas, the score is only in the pic I took to send to a buddy.. Would be pretty cool if the scores were kept on the Mister.

hyperterminal

Re: High Score Saving inside the Arcade Core

Postby hyperterminal » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:16 pm

Zeosstud wrote:Can anyone tell me if the ability to save the High Scores for individual arcade cores is being worked on.. Had a great game of Donkey Kong the other night, alas, the score is only in the pic I took to send to a buddy.. Would be pretty cool if the scores were kept on the Mister.

Even the real Donkey Kong arcade pcb doesn't support high score saving. That's what high score save kits (hacked roms with additional hardware) are for. It would need a bigger change to the Donkey Kong core to support these as well.

dilatfon
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dilatfon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:27 pm

AFAIK, mame supports score saving by using cheats. Instead of relying on hacks which don't exist on a lot of games, it's better to rely on something that is well maintained (hiscore.dat from mame).

I'm sure MiSTer is capable of doing this as well.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:49 am

hyperterminal wrote:Even the real Donkey Kong arcade pcb doesn't support high score saving. That's what high score save kits (hacked roms with additional hardware) are for. It would need a bigger change to the Donkey Kong core to support these as well.

Maybe someone motivated for that could do it but it is far easier to just use an emulator with it built in....

crocky
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby crocky » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:29 am

djmartins wrote: far easier to just use an emulator with it built in....

Never heard of that before, will give it a go, thanks.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:16 pm

crocky wrote:
djmartins wrote: far easier to just use an emulator with it built in....

Never heard of that before, will give it a go, thanks.

Retropie has a lot of features in it as do many other emulators with MAME covering the most arcade games and
it does have save game/high score saves.
There's a lot of neat features in emulators out there thanks to the massive interest from programmers and users.
FPGA projects are more like recreating hardware than emulation and has different advantages and disadvantages.

digitron
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby digitron » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:59 pm

What happened to the dodonpachi core? Was it ever completed? Will anyone please ever do all the Cave shooters? k thx, lol.

Noedell
Atarian
Atarian

MiSTer Arcade cabinet 2 player (issue?)

Postby Noedell » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:30 pm

First of all… Hi there!
I've been using MiSTer for a while now and everything worked fine without ANY problems! Kudos to the programmers! :angel:

I recently got my hands on a nice arcade cabinet which works like a charm after restoration.
As described in the subject I now came across an issue I cannot seem to tacle.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

https://imgur.com/a/pMfyaiE <- Link doesnt work so here is the URL

This is my wonderful schematic of how I've connected things.

At first I've connected the buttons and joystick trough JAMMA, to my MiSTer, but 2 players don't seem to work (C on the image)

I've bought an I-PAC and rerouted the button and joystick connectors from one player set (joystick and 6 buttons), to the mister and a seperate USB cable, but that also doesn't seem to do the trick (A on the image)

When I use two controllers (B on the image) there are no problems and 2 player games work fine.

Logically I want to use option A but that doesn't seem to work. Whenever I map the buttons. Both the left set and the right set control player 1 in any game. Is there a way to tackle this?

Mapping both sets as joysticks doesn't work. I still control player 1 when doing so.

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR,
Option A Doesn't seem to work for 2 players
Option B Works for 2 players
Option C (only trough JAMMA) Doesn't seem to work for 2 players
I want to use option A
Last edited by Noedell on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

alanswx

Re: MiSTer Arcade cabinet 2 player (issue?)

Postby alanswx » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:59 am

Noedell wrote:First of all… Hi there!
I've been using MiSTer for a while now and everything worked fine without ANY problems! Kudos to the programmers! :angel:

I recently got my hands on a nice arcade cabinet which works like a charm after restoration.
As described in the subject I now came across an issue I cannot seem to tacle.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

This is my wonderful schematic of how I've connected things.

At first I've connected the buttons and joystick trough JAMMA, to my MiSTer, but 2 players don't seem to work (C on the image)

I've bought an I-PAC and rerouted the button and joystick connectors from one player set (joystick and 6 buttons), to the mister and a seperate USB cable, but that also doesn't seem to do the trick (A on the image)

When I use two controllers (B on the image) there are no problems and 2 player games work fine.

Logically I want to use option A but that doesn't seem to work. Whenever I map the buttons. Both the left set and the right set control player 1 in any game. Is there a way to tackle this?

Mapping both sets as joysticks doesn't work. I still control player 1 when doing so.

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR,
Option A Doesn't seem to work for 2 players
Option B Works for 2 players
Option C (only trough JAMMA) Doesn't seem to work for 2 players
I want to use option A

I fixed a lot of the cores but they aren’t built yet. If there are ones I fixed that I didn’t do correctly let me know.

Noedell
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Noedell » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 am

Hi again!

I did some thinking and came to the conclusion my question (still valid) could be asked in a way simpler matter.

Is(or will it ever be) possible to connect 2 keyboards to the MiSTer and use them as two seperate input devices?

Example: Take a 2 player game, press right on keyboard one and player 1 moves. Press right on keyboard 2 and player 2 moves.
I know it has something to do with USB ID's and there is probably a very complex architecture behind that, but this is kinda a big issue when you install a MiSTer in an arcade cabinet.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:28 am

Noedell wrote:Hi again!

I did some thinking and came to the conclusion my question (still valid) could be asked in a way simpler matter.

Is(or will it ever be) possible to connect 2 keyboards to the MiSTer and use them as two seperate input devices?

Example: Take a 2 player game, press right on keyboard one and player 1 moves. Press right on keyboard 2 and player 2 moves.
I know it has something to do with USB ID's and there is probably a very complex architecture behind that, but this is kinda a big issue when you install a MiSTer in an arcade cabinet.

All keyboards are act as one keyboard. Only gamepads/joysticks can be used per-player.
Arcade cabinet should introduce the controls as 2 gamepads to work properly.

Noedell
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Noedell » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Sorgelig wrote:

All keyboards are act as one keyboard. Only gamepads/joysticks can be used per-player.
Arcade cabinet should introduce the controls as 2 gamepads to work properly.

"Arcade cabinet should introduce the controls as 2 gamepads to work properly."

Exactly, and THAT is the problem. Is there a way to configure the MiSTer like that? Normal keymapping (with or without) remapping gamepads or keyboard controls does not seem to work. Am I doing something wrong?

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:14 pm

Most games have updated code for two players mapped to the default iPac keys

Noedell
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Noedell » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:27 pm

alanswx wrote:

Most games have updated code for two players mapped to the default iPac keys

Ok, I'll look into it. Thanks so far!

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby RabidWookie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Is there a trusted script out there that will auto-update not only the arcade cores but also build the roms for them?

Return to “MiSTer”