Commando Arcade in MiSTer

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Commando Arcade in MiSTer

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Just thought about analogy: "Pay me $50 and i will punch him one more time" ;)
May be some more addressed rewards can be invented for high-pledged paterons. So only those patreons will get some special things.
Just my 2 cents.

jotego
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jotego » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:23 pm

albconde wrote:Thanks for the new version of commando core.
There is still a bug in the game. Sometimes at the bottom of the screen some "ghost" soldiers appear and disappear, to see this problem start a game, do not move and look at the bottom of the screen

I think that's how it should be. You can see them flashing in MAME too. Anyway, I'll check it with the original board next month, though (I don't have it at home).
--
Source code of all my cores here.
My Patreon page here.

jotego
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jotego » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:35 pm

BitsNStuff wrote:The real issue with it for me is that it's become a part of the game itself rather than on the OSD side where it's separated from the actual game software itself. I would have absolutely no issues at all with your cores, actually, anybody's cores or even the main MiSTer menu itself containing some sort of Thank You screen where the developers could thank whoever they see fit to thank, whether it's other developers, patreons, their beloved, their mum, their favourite cat, whatever. I would have absolutely no issues with there being avatars, photos, etc in there because it's no longer a part of the actual game which maintains the authenticity of the entire project.

I think that the pause screen is not part of the original game. Even if some games had a screen stop DIP switch. You wouldn't open the cabinet to flip it, would you? I also think that the beauty of it is that it is done using the original graphics hardware. I totally love the way the GnG pause screen looks with its special character font. I can try to make others more elegant. Maybe disabling the background layer during pause.

kitrinx wrote: I always remove it in my own personal builds.

You can see that I haven't done any effort to hide it. It is rather easy to bypass in the source code.

Sorgelig wrote:Just thought about analogy: "Pay me $50 and i will punch him one more time" ;)
May be some more addressed rewards can be invented for high-pledged paterons. So only those patreons will get some special things.
Just my 2 cents.

Maybe, BitsNStuff could become a director patron and get an add-free version. :-P Just kidding, no hard feelings. Thanks for sharing your thoughts openly.

Anyway, I agree. I will remove the pause feature, it is not realistic to have it on an arcade core. I will add a credits option using the P key or OSD to enable it. During credit display the gameplay will be halted as I need to share the same hardware to display the credits.
--
My Patreon page here.

albconde
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby albconde » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:03 pm

jotego wrote:I think that's how it should be. You can see them flashing in MAME too. Anyway, I'll check it with the original board next month, though (I don't have it at home).

You're right, I found a video of the original arcade machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loo9APuFags, at 8:31 you can see the defect, it is the same in the original.
Thanks for your cores

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 pm

jotego wrote:Anyway, I agree. I will remove the pause feature, it is not realistic to have it on an arcade core. I will add a credits option using the P key or OSD to enable it. During credit display the gameplay will be halted as I need to share the same hardware to display the credits.

Dude... That's just spiteful. Just make Pause clean and add a credits OSD option and everyone will be happy.

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby eskwadrat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks for great work.
I just uploaded it and looks great! And you added screen FLIP - Big THANK YOU!

~~~ any plans for Terra Cresta, just saying.

ReedSolomon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ReedSolomon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:52 am

jotego wrote:Anyway, I agree. I will remove the pause feature, it is not realistic to have it on an arcade core. I will add a credits option using the P key or OSD to enable it. During credit display the gameplay will be halted as I need to share the same hardware to display the credits.

I personally don't have a problem with the pause screen showing credits, but since it could be removed anyways due to the open source nature of the project, it might not be a bad idea to have a "hide credits in pause" toggle so that people who are obsessive about such things can turn it off. Most people wouldn't be bothered to turn it off IMHO and it would probably protect against people removing the credits in source. Also you could just have a C for credits option that does the same thing as pause but credits can't be disabled lol.

high5
Atari User
Atari User

Postby high5 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:12 am

This has the chance to become another iteration of the neverending story of good vs evil, ernie vs bert, suppressor vs suppressed.
IMO everybody has to accept different motivations for working on OSS - some are doing it for passion, some for the fame, some for the money. And also the supporters have different kind of motivations.
Ofc it is totally fine to discuss things here and get different views on the topic, but as Jotego is working "the patreon"-way decisions should be made by patreons IMO.

jotego
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jotego » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:45 am

ReedSolomon wrote:it might not be a bad idea to have a "hide credits in pause" toggle so that people who are obsessive about such things can turn it off. Most people wouldn't be bothered to turn it off IMHO and it would probably protect against people removing the credits in source. Also you could just have a C for credits option that does the same thing as pause but credits can't be disabled lol.

Good point. Credits on pause enabled by default and can be disabled on the OSD. That'd be a compromise.

high5 wrote:as Jotego is working "the patreon"-way decisions should be made by patreons IMO.

Yes, it's good to know what general users think but patreons are the ones deciding the direction of work.
--
My Patreon page here.

jotego
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jotego » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:47 am

eskwadrat wrote:Thanks for great work.
I just uploaded it and looks great! And you added screen FLIP - Big THANK YOU!

~~~ any plans for Terra Cresta, just saying.

Yes, I'm trying to have the FLIP screen option for all vertical games working, a few people asked for it.

No plans for Terra Cresta so far.
--
My Patreon page here.

BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BitsNStuff » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:25 am

Thanks for reading all that @jotego, I promise I'll never write that much again on here. :D

Also thank you being open and considering the bigger picture. It is your project and it's always going to be you who has the final say on what does happen and I know you like to give your Patreons a say on what comes next and I really don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. At least with what you're talking about now people can choose for themselves what to show and although with this many people using MiSTer, you're never going to make every single person 100% happy but I do think with these changes it is a pretty large group of people that it will make happier.

I do hope that it isn't too much extra work for you to change things.

Again, thank you for listening to what others do think. :cheers:

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby eskwadrat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:59 pm

jotego wrote:No plans for Terra Cresta so far.

I am seriously considering work on this particular arcade as one of my top favs. I started from searchings pcb schematic and so far found none. There is a nice repair log here
https://www.jammarcade.net/terra-cresta-repair-log/

and wiki type info here
https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... e_id=10077

But nowhere schematic is coming back in search results.
I looked on several photos of the actual PCB and found couple of Nichibutsh chips. Initially being concerned these couuld be custom asics, I found they are not here

"This board uses an YM3526 OPL IC paired with an YM3014 DAC although chips are marked with Nichibutsu part name (‘TC 148509’ and ‘TC 1409’).

So looks like with all others chips off the shelf, and PCBs available for reverse engineering, the risk of failing the project is small.

But before I jump into stripping TC pcb, I want to make sure I'm not breaking into open house,i.e. someone else did the PCB to schematic reverse engineering already?

Anybody? :megaphone:

Ashenshards
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Ashenshards » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:56 pm

So this arcade core will not get an official MISTer release? I mean, it won't be listed under Arcade Cores on the MISTer github? Or is that planned for a later date?

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:43 pm

When I run build_rom.sh on OS-X I get:
Generating ROM ...

ERROR:
Missing build_rom.ini

jayp76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jayp76 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 am

How do i name the rom to autoload? jtcommando.rom and a.jtcommando.rom seem not to work.
Never mind, found it in the bat file.

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:51 pm

Hold up!

Did Jotego just nonchalantly say he did the sound for CPS1??? Hell Yeah! Can't wait for that.

Go ahead and do your thing Jotego! A little capitalism makes the world/MiSTer go 'round. You are a mister super star and you deserve every cent

SegaMan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby SegaMan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:29 am

Can it be that this core dont run with 128MB Modul?

Played the game in the past with 32MB and it works well.
Now with 128MB a get picture garbage. :shrug:

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:55 pm

Do you have your MiSTer on 1080p or 720p? I couldn't get anything to work for a while. I switched back to 720p and just about everything works now.

SegaMan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby SegaMan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:30 pm

1080p oder 720p.... its the same problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wwark
Atarian
Atarian

Postby wwark » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi @SegaMan,

Do you use the last version of Commando from github of Jotego? The last version have some fixes related to the SDRAM 128MB.

Thanks,

SegaMan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby SegaMan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:53 pm

jtcommando_mister_20190906.rbf

edit:

OK i see there is another release from (Gunsmoke/Vulgus public release).
https://github.com/jotego/jt_gng/blob/m ... 191007.zip
This one works.

thx for your help!

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:36 am

SegaMan wrote:jtcommando_mister_20190906.rbf

edit:

OK i see there is another release from (Gunsmoke/Vulgus public release).
https://github.com/jotego/jt_gng/blob/m ... 191007.zip
This one works.

thx for your help!

Just added all the latest jotego cores and made the roms and all I tested worked ok!
nice! :cheers:

Return to “MiSTer”