MiSTer on Gstory portable screen/case

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

jemismyname
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

MiSTer on Gstory portable screen/case

Postby jemismyname » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 pm

I thought it would be grand to play mister portably by getting one of those G-Story screen+case mad for the PS mini.

However, the GStory screen doesn't like it when i load a core, the black screen puts it into no-signal standy mode, and only restarting the MiSTer will wake the screen. meh

i thought of using an hdmi->vga adapter in series with a vga->hdmi adapterto add a bit of noiset to the signal, but that is kind of a janky solution.

... also, i've had a bit of trouble finding a barrel plug type portable battery that gives 5V and 2Amps (most 5V packs are USB and most packs with a barrel plug put out 12V or more). not sure if maybe mister can handle 12V power supply... i don't want to over volt mine and blow something unless it's within spec, tho.

My only idea is to cut off a USB cable and solder it to a barrel plug... but i'd rather not.

Stupid lousy barrel plugs. Killed my father!!

I'm just kidding... but they did kill my Famicom. the jerks!

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: MiSTer on Gstory portable screen/case

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:33 pm

This looks like generic HDMI display. Make sure you use normal HDMI output, not direct video.
There is a question if this display supports other than 60Hz video.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:20 am

I have a 15" portable LCD that I got from a random Chinese company. It takes micro HMI or USB C as input, and it worked pretty well so far with both MiSTer and my laptop.

jemismyname
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jemismyname » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:35 pm

yes, i made sure to turn off direct video.

I had hoped to specifically use the GStory PSone screen rather than just a plain screen, because it provides a nice case to protect the de10, as well as store controllers and screen.

I noticed some people on youtube have graphics loading on the pillarboxes to the side of their gameplay screens. maybe i will try this (so the screen doesn't go completely blank), although i haven't seen where is the option for loading background graphics?

jemismyname
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jemismyname » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:44 pm

So, I got it working by putting a menu graphic in /media/fat/menu (although for some reason it doesn't actually show up, but maybe i need to update MiSTer or something).

I also got a usb->barrel plug adapter to power the mister from a lithium battery pack. I got this bundle of doo-dads from Amazon... so hopefully i can barrel plug all the things.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5F4GW0/

All in all, the G-Story case makes a pretty darn good portable solution. I would recommend it, although the screen response is a bit on the slow side at 8 ms... also, the colorspace seems pretty wrong, (but who cares?)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N485LBV

I think i'm gonna head to the portland retro gaming expo in a bit, and i'll bring it with me. Come play with me, if any of y'all are gonna be there!

:cheers:

jemismyname
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jemismyname » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:49 pm

Sorgelig wrote:This looks like generic HDMI display. Make sure you use normal HDMI output, not direct video.
There is a question if this display supports other than 60Hz video.

as an update, 50 Hz seems to be working for most cores, although, i tried a european mega drive rom, "Aleste" and i got a blank screen, but when i tried the NTSC version "Musha" it worked just fine, but it could have been something else... i didn't really dig into it, since i'd prefer to play 60 hz when i can.

I tested Terranigma on SNES, and that worked just fine at 50 Hz.

Return to “MiSTer”