https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Work on the Minimig core?

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:42 am

kolla wrote:@retrofan and @slingshot

I hope this one didn't fly under the radar? :)

http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 25#p383381

Is there any fix, too?
Btw, I've just found MasterOfGizmo's TG68k test framework, which can compile and run simple assembly via vasm & ghdl, it should be much faster to test than recompiling minimig every time:
https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... ests/tg68k

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:57 am

slingshot wrote:Is there any fix, too?

Not yet :)
-- kolla

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:41 am

These later cores have a number of issues for me, some of not related to 68020 updates, I believe:

* it requires "slow RAM" - if I try to use without, and just 24MB "fast RAM", the system boots (for hd image), but ends up with lots of "recoverable alert 0100 000C from 0005 05a0", it cannot read "pointer.prefs" (of all prefs), and it ends with full Ram Disk before it just reboots. Attempts to boot without startup-sequence just gives me a bright pink screen. I throw in a "set echo on" in the Startup-Sequence, and it seems like any access to RAM: leads to "0100 000C"

* with slow ram attached, it boots like normal, but display is not the same as it has been - the display is stretched wider, and with my overscan settings (PAL), both left and right edge vanish outside of displayed, visible area. In addition, if I blank the borders (using bblank, BoarderBlank etc), a huge chunk of the left side of Intuition screen area is also blanked. Normally, the border blank only affects areas outside of what is configured with Overscan.
-- kolla

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:47 am

No idea about the RAM, I'm using the opposite else - no slow RAM. If you can do a bisect in the git repo to search for the first commit which caused this - do it. But it's equally possible that it's a timing issue on your device. Btw is it happening booting a clean WB?
I've changed a bit of the blanking, because the right side of the main window was cut in dbl pal mode (640x480). I wonder what setting make it cut both sides?

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:54 am

slingshot wrote:No idea about the RAM, I'm using the opposite else - no slow RAM.

That's what I normally do too.

If you can do a bisect in the git repo to search for the first commit which caused this - do it.

Mm, that would also mean setting up the toolchain and building my own Minimig builds again... it's been a while, and these days I don't have much time.

But it's equally possible that it's a timing issue on your device. Btw is it happening booting a clean WB?

No idea - what do you mean "clean WB"? Is there even such a thing? :)
I can try reinstalling 3.1 and/or 3.1.4 to an empty image and "untampered" kickstart and see how that works.

I've changed a bit of the blanking, because the right side of the main window was cut in dbl pal mode (640x480). I wonder what setting make it cut both sides?

I see, well dblpal is too slow for me, I prefer simple PAL hires laced and MagicTV (http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/magictv2) to soften out flickering.
-- kolla

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:33 am

kolla wrote:
Mm, that would also mean setting up the toolchain and building my own Minimig builds again... it's been a while, and these days I don't have much time.

It's just about installing Quartus 13.1, no other tools required (ok. git). But I assume a Linux system, where this comes almost free.

No idea - what do you mean "clean WB"? Is there even such a thing? :)

Stock kickstart, stock WB on the floppy disks (btw, what can be tampered on KS? - and probably nobody tested such kickstart, you should mention that at the first place when you report something is not working).

I see, well dblpal is too slow for me, I prefer simple PAL hires laced and MagicTV (http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/magictv2) to soften out flickering.

At the end, you'll get the same resolution, but need hacks for a flicker-free display?

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm

slingshot wrote:

At the end, you'll get the same resolution, but need hacks for a flicker-free display?

My point was simply that for ordinary PAL (and NTSC) displays, things have changed for the worse. The mention hack is not related to this, and I only mentioned it as others may also find it useful, and even preferable over using sluggish DblPAL/DblNTSC modes.

Anyways, I will look into installing Quartus 13.1 and see if I can build me a core that suits my needs.
-- kolla

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:42 pm

kolla wrote:
Anyways, I will look into installing Quartus 13.1 and see if I can build me a core that suits my needs.

Well, I didn't want to sound harsh, but since you didn't write anything about your setup, just "it doesn't work, it's worse, ....", no dev can guess what to look after.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:15 pm

No worries. My setup is rather customized in all kinds of ways, a blend of components from OS 3.1 to 3.9, third party and even AROS and 3.1.4 as of late. Including the kickstarts I use. The issues I have now, only appear with the later Minimig releases. I will have a work from home day this week, so perhaps I find some time to narrow down exactly what it is that fails, and recreate it with smallest possible “stock” setup :)
-- kolla

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:33 am

kolla wrote:so perhaps I find some time to narrow down exactly what it is that fails, and recreate it with smallest possible “stock” setup :)

Well, that was easy enough - without any "slow ram", a pure commodore A1200 3.1 v40.068 kickstart simply refuses to even show the "insert disk" animation, and instead goes into a reboot loop, regardless of attached floppies and/or hard drive images. Enable (at least) 0.5MB of slow ram and it boots as normal.

And the issue is persistent on oldest as well as latest cores from
https://github.com/retrofun/mist-binari ... nimig-mist

and using this firmware:
https://github.com/retrofun/mist-binari ... t-firmware
-- kolla

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:06 am

Seems the latest in mist-binaries only working for me? But at least it does something, what it couldn't before:
Photo0067.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:01 am

Well, that’s cool :)
-- kolla

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:18 am

Btw, I tested the interlaced PAL mode with MagicTV2 and BorderBlank. Originally the left border was much bigger than the right even in this mode, too. Now it looks like this for me (now left is a bit smaller than right, but the difference is smaller than it was before):
Photo0069.jpg

And with BorderBlank:
Photo0068.jpg

So I don't really understand the cutting of the usable window area. It looks good for me, however with TurboChipRam enabled, dblpal is still better (no flicker at all), and equally fast.
(And still don't using slow RAM at all).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Nice!
Before you run borderblank - open prefs/overscan and try to see how large display area you can make. Do you then notice that the mouse pointer "vanish" when you move to the left?

This is my mist with an old core, and I can stretch display almost to max, and move the pointer all the way to the left and it remains visible.
http://kolla.no/mist-overscan.jpeg
-- kolla

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Yes, I notice the disappearing pointer in interlaced pal. Try the attached core, it restores the original behavior with non-programmed blank modes, but retains the "fix" with the programmed ones (like dbl pal).

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:21 pm

slingshot wrote:Seems the latest in mist-binaries only working for me? But at least it does something, what it couldn't before:
Photo0067.jpg

It works to me also :cheers: :cheers: And YES :cheers: , PINBALL ILLUSIONS work!!!
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:43 pm

kolla wrote:
kolla wrote:so perhaps I find some time to narrow down exactly what it is that fails, and recreate it with smallest possible “stock” setup :)

Well, that was easy enough - without any "slow ram", a pure commodore A1200 3.1 v40.068 kickstart simply refuses to even show the "insert disk" animation, and instead goes into a reboot loop, regardless of attached floppies and/or hard drive images. Enable (at least) 0.5MB of slow ram and it boots as normal.

And the issue is persistent on oldest as well as latest cores from
https://github.com/retrofun/mist-binari ... nimig-mist

and using this firmware:
https://github.com/retrofun/mist-binari ... t-firmware

Have you tried https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... inimig-aga? :shrug: I don't have this problem...

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Using last core: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... inimig-aga , the only game (of the 600 whdload games I have) that freezes once you start is the new Rygar AGA (Beta, yesterday a new version was released: http://109.228.4.199/rygar/ , I'm going to test it now).

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Well, Rygar AGA final release works perfectly! :cheers: :cheers: http://109.228.4.199/rygar/

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:27 pm

slingshot wrote:Yes, I notice the disappearing pointer in interlaced pal. Try the attached core, it restores the original behavior with non-programmed blank modes, but retains the "fix" with the programmed ones (like dbl pal).

Excellent, works great. I still need to enable “slow ram” though, but that’s durable :)
-- kolla

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:52 pm

kolla wrote:
Excellent, works great. I still need to enable “slow ram” though, but that’s durable :)

What chipset config are you using? 68020/2MB chip/no slow/24MB Fast/AGA/turbo doesn't matter/Kickstart 3.1 A1200, no HRTMON, and no problem for me.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:14 pm

slingshot wrote:
kolla wrote:

What chipset config are you using? 68020/2MB chip/no slow/24MB Fast/AGA/turbo doesn't matter/Kickstart 3.1 A1200, no HRTMON, and no problem for me.

Exact same config here. With 40.068 A1200 kickstart it even seems to require 1.5MB of “slow ram”. If I set 2MB chipram and no other ram, it just goes into reboot loop, and I cannot even access early-startup. I change to 0.5MB chipram, and to 1.0 MB and it remains the same, but once I set 1.5 MB, it shows “software failure” red guru 8004 0000, and the shows the insert disk animation. I have also tried with 40.063 kickstart for A600 and it behaves exactly the same. My own kickstarts seem to be ok with just 0.5 MB of slow ram. I have no idea what could cause such behaviour, and that it works for others just makes it weirder :)
-- kolla

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:15 pm

I can confirm that Pinball Illusions work now btw, yay!
-- kolla

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Today I've tested Amiga OS 3.1.4 :cheers:

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

guidol
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guidol » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:40 pm

vebxenon wrote:Today I've tested Amiga OS 3.1.4 :cheers:

Did you use the ROM for the A1200 (68020) or which version did you buy?

Return to “MiST”