Jupiter Ace Orphaned

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Jupiter Ace Orphaned

Postby bjjones37 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 am

Since development on the Jupiter Ace has stopped, is there any chance some other developer could pick it up? I would really like to see some kind of file I/O on it.
Courtesy is not an option.

Gehstock
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Jupiter Ace Orphaned

Postby Gehstock » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:01 am

I did not know that the core anyone ever used. So why work on it?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:17 pm

A few cores need some similar love, like the Apple II is missing disk writes.
I wonder if a common solution could be used across these cores?

desUBIKado
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby desUBIKado » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Gehstock wrote:I did not know that the core anyone ever used. So why work on it?

That's not true. I tried your Jupiter ACE core and I was interested:

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=32258&start=50#p368119

https://github.com/Gehstock/Mist_FPGA/issues/2

Luckly, I'm a happy owner of ZX-Uno where exists an awesome Jupiter ACE core:

http://www.zxuno.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =81#p25973

Anyway, thanks a lot Gehstock for your great work making cores for MiST / Mistica FPGA16.
Last edited by desUBIKado on Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Newsdee wrote:A few cores need some similar love, like the Apple II is missing disk writes.
I wonder if a common solution could be used across these cores?

I think you won't find any similar disk interface as the Apple II's.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:14 am

desUBIKado wrote:Anyway, thanks a lot Gehstock for your great work making cores for MiST / Mistica FPGA16.

Maybe the Mistica makers would like to support you.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby 917k » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:16 pm

I first bought a MiST from Lotharek and it worked well... until... like so many others... the power connector broke. My replacement was a MiSTica as I will not buy another product from Lotharek.

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:06 am

917k wrote:I first bought a MiST from Lotharek and it worked well... until... like so many others... the power connector broke. My replacement was a MiSTica as I will not buy another product from Lotharek.

A friend of mine resoldered the power connector :shrug: and it works perfectly.
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:16 am

917k wrote:I first bought a MiST from Lotharek and it worked well... until... like so many others... the power connector broke. My replacement was a MiSTica as I will not buy another product from Lotharek.

It's like scrapping your car because the mirror broke off.

Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby 917k » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:46 am

Funny. No actually it isn't at all, I didn't throw it away but I also do not do any SMD soldering. One day, I may have it fixed... maybe not .. my choice. The point is that it should have been quality built in the first place, did I mentioned I only plugged/unplugged it maybe 5 times total before it broke?

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:36 am

I'm not here to protect Lotharek, but I'm using my MiST (version before the change to the THT micro USB connector) for more than 2 years, and it's still in place. However you can solder a barrel connector (there's even a Wiki page for it) to replace the micro USB, that would last until the world's end, no need to do any SMD work (ok, a little one to move a resistor).

RealLarry

Postby RealLarry » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:12 am

In my opinion it's more the extremely small and fiddly electronic parts which are used these days and not Lotharek's skills. The "microelectronic" parts used back in the 70s-90s are huge from todays sight. A few months ago I used to work with a bare Raspberry Pi Zero W and while handling and connecting cables to it, my finger "wipes" a resistor (?) (too small to detect...it's smaller than 1mm) from the pcb, which was soldered on one edge. Damn, this was very difficult to resolder with my old scool tools. But had worked. :angel:

Said this I protect Lotharek's work and skills. Bought some MiST's, cables and many other parts there for my Atari 8/16 bit and everything is "industrial quality", as far as I can tell. And nothing broke or got faulty here since years.
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:19 am

You can install a power socket, you may find tricky to remove the 0-ohm SMD resistor, just desolder the old (R2) and make a shortcut with a wire (very short) on R1 -thats if you find tricky to mess with the SMDs

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki/PwrDcJack

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:26 am

RealLarry wrote:In my opinion it's more the extremely small and fiddly electronic parts which are used these days and not Lotharek's skills.

no mate, the issue with this fault is clearly "mechanical" there is no support on this connector,
its designed for mobile devices and usually is supported (on top) by a case or other PCB sandwich-like, in MiST's case its just soldered on the PCB and receives some strain when someone plug/unplug the microUSB, the "ideal" would be a mod on the case something (L shaped) to be positioned on the top of that thingy.

I had this issue, re-soldered the poo, then -as lesson learnt- I just left permanently the microUSB of the power cable there , I only plug/unplug the adaptor.

RealLarry

Postby RealLarry » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:25 am

xc8 wrote:
RealLarry wrote:In my opinion it's more the extremely small and fiddly electronic parts which are used these days and not Lotharek's skills.

no mate, the issue with this fault is clearly "mechanical" there is no support on this connector,
[...]

Okay, and learned something again. Never saw MiST's bare pcb with my own eyes.
As we're talking about I remember darkly to read something about this issue...with the hint to plug in the power/usb cable carefully... as one always should do. But yes, this issues should be fixed in newer revisions.
On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.

xc8
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby xc8 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:28 pm

RealLarry wrote:... But yes, this issues should be fixed in newer revisions.

a quick -future- fix is to make extra holes on the PCB then solder some kind of -extra- connector strain relief over the microUSB port, I wrote "extra" as there is already a kind of strain relief -sideways of the connector- but not enough to save it from damage. (I don't recommend ideas like glue/epoxy over it)

Return to “MiST”