https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

LarsDragon
Atari User
Atari User

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby LarsDragon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:56 am

paulbnl wrote:
LarsDragon wrote:I understand that this may be insignificant, but I think that the vertical alignment on analog output 15khz is not correct, it is shifted down and normally cuts the credit information. I know it can be adjusted with the geometry of the TV, but in my original NeoGeo console this does not happen, ¿perhaps the vblank is not well adjusted?.

Can you post some comparison pictures between MiSTer and your NeoGeo console?

Of course!
NeoGeo Original
Console2.jpg
MiSTer
Fpga2.jpg
Fpga1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

esmith13
Atariator
Atariator

Postby esmith13 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:54 pm

*** DISREGARD, I FIXED IT! SOLUTION AT BOTTOM OF POST ***

Hi all, Having an issue getting Neo Geo up and running correctly and looking for some help.

I have all the bios files in the /fat/NEOGEO directory, as well as the darksoft rom pack. The XML is there as well.
When I run the core and load a rom set they display with their friendly names (assume this means they match the xml).
I choose the rom set and the files load. I hear the bios boot, then I hear the game running in attract mode. Visually, I have a solid light grey screen only. The game is fully functional in the background. I can hear inserted coins (MVS mode) and start a game.

I just see nothing but a grey box where the graphics should be!

I re-transferred my bios files (after verifying hashes) and the games (verifying the transfer was in binary mode) and have the same result.
I have the standard 32Mb memory add on and made sure to only try games that will run it. The issue happens 100% of the time with all the roms I test.
I am using the HDMI output set to 1080p on a computer monitor that has never failed me with MiSTer before despite the odd native refresh rates of some cores/systems.
Also, my "main" & "menu" are up to date, as is linux.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for any help.

SOLUTION: After updating everything on my mister, the core updater script did a reboot. Still didn't work. I myself tried a cold reboot via the mister menu. Still didn't work. Pretty sure I also did a reset via the I/O board buttons as well, still didn't work.
I just performed a HARD POWER CYCLE using my power supply's built in on/off switch. That worked!!!!

I can only assume the older linux image was still running even though both reset types via mister menu were attempted as well as the updater's scripted reset? Odd, but resolved none the less. :D
Last edited by esmith13 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Gamepimp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:30 pm

LarsDragon wrote:
paulbnl wrote:
LarsDragon wrote:I understand that this may be insignificant, but I think that the vertical alignment on analog output 15khz is not correct, it is shifted down and normally cuts the credit information. I know it can be adjusted with the geometry of the TV, but in my original NeoGeo console this does not happen, ¿perhaps the vblank is not well adjusted?.

Of course!
NeoGeo OriginalConsole2.jpgMiSTerFpga2.jpgFpga1.jpg

I have this same issue with my Sony Trinitron.

djsquare
Atari User
Atari User

Postby djsquare » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Gamepimp wrote:
LarsDragon wrote:
paulbnl wrote:

Of course!
NeoGeo OriginalConsole2.jpgMiSTerFpga2.jpgFpga1.jpg

I have this same issue with my Sony Trinitron.

I'm also getting the same thing on a PVM-14M2U. I could manually adjust it but all the other cores seem to be fine

paulbnl
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby paulbnl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:30 pm

LarsDragon wrote:Of course!

Try these builds and see which is best:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dHM_xMT5o0IIID8G332PhngiBm6Fjfif/view?usp=sharing

Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Gamepimp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:01 pm

paulbnl wrote:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dHM_xMT5o0IIID8G332PhngiBm6Fjfif/view?usp=sharing

I tried both files and NeoGeo_vsync1.rbf worked the best on my TV. It looked like all the pixels were showing. When I tried the NeoGeo_vsync2.rbf file there was still about 1 or 2 lines of pixels missing at the bottom of the screen in Metal Slug. Essentially this cut off some of the "Credit" text. Thanks for making those changes. Will they get incorporated in the official build?

paulbnl
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby paulbnl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Gamepimp wrote:I tried both files and NeoGeo_vsync1.rbf worked the best on my TV. It looked like all the pixels were showing. When I tried the NeoGeo_vsync2.rbf file there was still about 1 or 2 lines of pixels missing at the bottom of the screen in Metal Slug. Essentially this cut off some of the "Credit" text. Thanks for making those changes. Will they get incorporated in the official build?

I added a third build to the link. Can you try it as well?

Yes this change will go into the official builds.

LarsDragon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby LarsDragon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:11 pm

paulbnl wrote:

Both versions are fine, but the second build (NeoGeo_vsync2.rbf) it's almost identical to my NeoGeo.
Many thanks! :cheers:

Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Gamepimp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:07 pm

paulbnl wrote:
I added a third build to the link. Can you try it as well?

Yes this change will go into the official builds.

I gave the third build a shot. I have a slight geometry issue on my TV and some pixels in the lower right corner were cutoff in that one. The first build is the only one that showed all the text on the left and right "credit" lines.

dazzer69
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dazzer69 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:11 pm

3 worked best for me. Sony Trinitron.

Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Gamepimp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Three different Trinitrons, three different results. Way to go Sony. LOL! :lol:

paulbnl
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby paulbnl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Gamepimp wrote:
I gave the third build a shot. I have a slight geometry issue on my TV and some pixels in the lower right corner were cutoff in that one. The first build is the only one that showed all the text on the left and right "credit" lines.

To be sure, you are comparing MiSTer to a real Neogeo console?

LarsDragon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby LarsDragon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:29 pm

I try the third build too, and is the best one for me (NeoGeo_vsync3.rbf), show the complete image verticaly. Some CRT have small geometry problems in the corners, but if it is completely straight, I think the third one is the ideal one.
It is even better than my original NeoGeo :D

Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Gamepimp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:31 pm

paulbnl wrote:To be sure, you are comparing MiSTer to a real Neogeo console?

I am not. Sadly, I don't have an actual Neo Geo console to compare to. I was just reporting which of the 3 files fit best on my CRT since I was also having the same issue with the lower portion being cut off.

Gamepimp
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Gamepimp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:32 pm

LarsDragon wrote:I try the third build too, and is the best one for me (NeoGeo_vsync3.rbf), show the complete image verticaly. Some CRT have small geometry problems in the corners, but if it is completely straight, I think the third one is the ideal one.
It is even better than my original NeoGeo :D

I think you are probably correct. I may need to play around in the service menu to see if I can correct that. The third build was pretty close to fitting entirely on the screen.

paulbnl
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby paulbnl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 pm

LarsDragon wrote:It is even better than my original NeoGeo :D

If it is better than your original NeoGeo then that is not good :) It should be exactly the same.

So build 2 is still the closest to your original NeoGeo?

LarsDragon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby LarsDragon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 pm

paulbnl wrote:
LarsDragon wrote:It is even better than my original NeoGeo :D

If it is better than your original NeoGeo then that is not good :) It should be exactly the same.

So build 2 is still the closest to your original NeoGeo?

No, the build 3 is identical to my NeoGeo. It was a way of expressing it since it is an Fpga system.

WhenDookieCalls
Atarian
Atarian

Postby WhenDookieCalls » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:16 pm

cyborc wrote:It turns out my 000-lo.lo file was incorrect. Make sure you use the one that's SHA-1 = 5992277DEBADEB64D1C1C64B0A92D9293EAF7E4A and it should work.

Thank you! I had two different versions of 000-lo.lo and wasn't sure which one to use. Would you mind posting the checksums for the other bios files as well? I'm still getting a blank blue screen with every rom I've tried, and I've followed the Readme instructions to the letter several times.

Also, if I'm using the unibios, do I still need to still include sp-s2.sp1 and neo-epo.sp1? The Readme says "You may choose between using original system BIOS and uni-bios.rom", so I'm assuming sp-s2.sp1 and neo-epo.sp1 don't need to be present in /NEOGEO/ if uni-bios.rom is.

pacodelucia
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pacodelucia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:49 pm

WhenDookieCalls wrote:
cyborc wrote:It turns out my 000-lo.lo file was incorrect. Make sure you use the one that's SHA-1 = 5992277DEBADEB64D1C1C64B0A92D9293EAF7E4A and it should work.

Thank you! I had two different versions of 000-lo.lo and wasn't sure which one to use. Would you mind posting the checksums for the other bios files as well? I'm still getting a blank blue screen with every rom I've tried, and I've followed the Readme instructions to the letter several times.

Also, if I'm using the unibios, do I still need to still include sp-s2.sp1 and neo-epo.sp1? The Readme says "You may choose between using original system BIOS and uni-bios.rom", so I'm assuming sp-s2.sp1 and neo-epo.sp1 don't need to be present in /NEOGEO/ if uni-bios.rom is.

I've had the best compatibility using uni-bios in PAL/EU mode without the other unnecessary 'sp' bios files present, having both there seemed to create issues.

cyborc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cyborc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:25 pm

WhenDookieCalls wrote:

I am at work right now but I will try to remember to post the other checksums later tonight.

I have the sp-s2.sp1 & neo-epo.sp1 files in the folder along with the unibios. I'm not sure if it works without them but I can test that too.

Eiji
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Eiji » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Is it just me or is the sound of music in games output in mono? For example kof98, kof99, samsho4.

Stereo Mix is set to 0%. Games sound like they are in mono compared to MAME and FBA sound output on the same TV via HDMI.
Last edited by Eiji on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:25 pm

esmith13 wrote:I just performed a HARD POWER CYCLE using my power supply's built in on/off switch. That worked!!!!

I have to do the same thing now and then.

ShyBry
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ShyBry » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:37 am

Threepwood wrote:
ShyBry wrote:You can use A+B+C on startup to enter the unibios menu and pick which region & mode you want. It's not consistently remembering choices for me, but worst case you can pick it each startup if necessary. [...]

That's the problem, when unibios boots into console mode although the core is set to MVS, then changing UNIBIOS to Arcade via A+B+C does still leave the insert-coin-button inoperative.

Have you tried the select button? The unibios input crossing feature might be enabled, which swaps the insert coin and select buttons. Select works to insert coins for me. :shrug:

WhenDookieCalls wrote:

This is what I have in my NEOGEO directory (not including rom directories):

Code: Select all

5992277debadeb64d1c1c64b0a92d9293eaf7e4a  000-lo.lo
2a48591dd07d1abb77d79af75fffbd8041da4e46  romsets.xml
fd4a618cdcdbf849374f0a50dd8efe9dbab706c3  sfix.sfix
0ad92efb0c2338426635e0159d1f60b4473d0785  uni-bios.rom

You don't need sp-s2.sp1 and neo-epo.sp1 if you have uni-bios.rom. I deleted the .sp1 files from my card in vain while trying to fix blank screen issues, but in the end my problem was I was trying to use mame-style roms instead of darksoft-style roms. So, also make sure your rom checksums match https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Ev ... 20SMDB.txt ... You don't need the darksoft fpga files (at least I hope you don't) but the other files should match.

gojira54
Atari User
Atari User

Postby gojira54 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:31 am

Thanks a lot for this core - just played through metal slug again =]
Amazing!!
Please do not take it personal, my lawyer has policies

cyborc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cyborc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 am

Could someone else test Nam1975 with the Unibios in arcade mode and tell me if their "How to play" screen looks like this? I've rebooted several times but it always looks like this. The rest of the game seems fine.

Return to “MiSTer”