Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Newbie questions

Postby Newsdee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:21 am

The ZX Spectrum and C64 both feel like using original machines. In fact they have better picture quality than using the originals with a Framemeister.

I believe both of them support wtiting to disk. As long as you have that in a core, you can use it like it was back in the day.

I can recommend browsing the old Usborne programming books, you can find them for download at the bottom of this page:
https://usborne.com/browse-books/featur ... ing-books/

James99
Atarian
Atarian

Postby James99 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:21 am

Newsdee wrote:The ZX Spectrum and C64 both feel like using original machines. In fact they have better picture quality than using the originals with a Framemeister.

That's great to know. Many thanks for posting! I can only imagine the C64 was quite a task to implement with its various custom chips - I have a copy of the Programmers Reference Guide on hand and remember some late nights spent trying to understand the intricacies of the C64 with that book! And thanks for the link to the Usborne books. They were inspiring and so good they are available to view.

VanZan
Atarian
Atarian

Postby VanZan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Just got mine setup and two quick questions please:

1. How to I get back to the first menu (menu.rbf) you see when the device boots up? i.e the one with the define joystick option.
2. When in that first menu the screen keeps going black and then comes back again. I'm using a HDMI cable and tried two different televisions. This problem does not occur in the different core menus or when playing a game.

Thank you!

petarku
Atariator
Atariator

Postby petarku » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi guys ,
i am new to mister FPGA and have a newbie question.
I have problem to define my usb competition pro joystick in mister. Whenever I go to define joystick it doesnt register left and up direction. It is the same thing when I am using db9 to usb adapter as well. I am using usb hub 1.2 to connect the joystick and I am trying to define it in first menu and then in minimig menu and the result is the same. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance ,
Petar

James99
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Newbie questions - Atari 800 Core

Postby James99 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:39 pm

Is it possible to save code when using the Atari 800 core (to SD disk)? I'd like to write my own programs if possible. Thanks.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:12 pm

should be possible

nico24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby nico24 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:43 am

It's possible with the BBC, Electron, C64, Spectrum, Atari 800 etc.

Now the ORIC?!?!?!

PLEASE????!

James99
Atarian
Atarian

Postby James99 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:55 am

nico24 wrote:It's possible with the BBC, Electron, C64, Spectrum, Atari 800 etc.

Now the ORIC?!?!?!

PLEASE????!

Thanks! Very good to know. Would love to try coding the ORIC too so I'm behind you on that! :D

nico24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby nico24 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:48 pm

I working on it. But I am SUCH a newbie my efforts are practically useless!

pezmed
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pezmed » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:29 pm

I can't find info on this anywhere and this seems to be the place to post this question.

How do you enable the LED for the TOSLINK 3.5mm on the I/O board (v5.6 XL)? I purchased a 3.5mm to TOSLINK cable for my Logitech speakers (has TOSLINK input), but the LED will not illuminate to send . Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:56 am

pezmed wrote:I can't find info on this anywhere and this seems to be the place to post this question.

How do you enable the LED for the TOSLINK 3.5mm on the I/O board (v5.6 XL)? I purchased a 3.5mm to TOSLINK cable for my Logitech speakers (has TOSLINK input), but the LED will not illuminate to send . Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

then either LED is broken or soldered incorrectly or something else is wrong.
It should always work.

pezmed
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pezmed » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:57 am

The LED looked like it was damaged (melted a bit) after closer inspection. I was going to test its continuity but a leg broke taking it off board. Maybe it was lose to start with.

Looks like the recommended red LED on the Mister wiki (Hubei KENTO Elec 3AR4PD08) is out of stock at lcsc. Can someone provide a link to a compatible red LED I could purchase? I'm having trouble finding one that has a low 6.6mcd luminous rating.

pezmed
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pezmed » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Searching through the I/O Board forum, my understanding is the luminous intensity doesn't have to be exact. So, I'm looking at this: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... =302857375.

quabbage
Atarian
Atarian

Postby quabbage » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:30 pm

I'm having trouble finding a decent looking case so I am thinking of using something (maybe Velcro) to attach my MiSTer to the back of my TV in an attempt to keep my other half happy :D ... if I do this it would be in a vertical position and I could shield it from dust I would think. I'm slightly concerned about whether this would cause issues with the fan. Any tips?

msknight
Atarian
Atarian

Postby msknight » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:23 pm

F1 is not working to cycle the background. I'm stuck on the snow. Mister 190908 OS 190627

Tried different keyboards and everything else seems to work, but just not F1. Even tried remapping the keys... but no joy.

I've also tried putting a menu.png that someone else created in the root of the SD card but it won't take that either.

Any hints please?

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am

I've also tried putting a menu.png that someone else created in the root of the SD card but it won't take that either. Any hints please?

vga ? I remember there being something in the .ini that needed set. I am not home at the moment to check but that's something to look into

djmartins
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby djmartins » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:29 am

msknight wrote:Any hints please?

Power cycle it.

sawf01
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sawf01 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:05 pm

quabbage wrote:I'm having trouble finding a decent looking case so I am thinking of using something (maybe Velcro) to attach my MiSTer to the back of my TV in an attempt to keep my other half happy :D ... if I do this it would be in a vertical position and I could shield it from dust I would think. I'm slightly concerned about whether this would cause issues with the fan. Any tips?

I don't think it will cause any issues for the fan at all as long as there's a little bit of room in front of it. Being so small they don't push a lot of air so I don't think that should be a problem.

msknight
Atarian
Atarian

Postby msknight » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:57 pm

djmartins wrote:
msknight wrote:Any hints please?

Power cycle it.

Nope. Didn't work.

quabbage
Atarian
Atarian

Postby quabbage » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 pm

sawf01 wrote:... I don't think that should be a problem.

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

cbo2188
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cbo2188 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:40 am

Is anyone still have issues with the latest menu update? My tv loses sync. Sometimes I will get pictures for a few seconds then it cuts out. I don't have any issues with the 0824 update. Thanks!

Piacenti
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Piacenti » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:34 am

cbo2188 wrote:Is anyone still have issues with the latest menu update? My tv loses sync. Sometimes I will get pictures for a few seconds then it cuts out. I don't have any issues with the 0824 update. Thanks!

I had OSD menu glitches before the latest update, now it’s perfect with HDMI vsync adjust 2.

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Booting to selected core

Postby eskwadrat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:15 pm

How to make board to boot and automatically jump to run preselected core?

slup
Atarian
Atarian

Postby slup » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:34 am

add:-

bootcore=corename (where corename is the name of the core) to mister.ini

You can also set a timeout so that you get a chance to interrupt this. It's all documented within mister.ini itself.

eskwadrat
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby eskwadrat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:08 pm

slup wrote:add:-

bootcore=corename (where corename is the name of the core) to mister.ini

You can also set a timeout so that you get a chance to interrupt this. It's all documented within mister.ini itself.

Great, thank you.

Return to “MiSTer”