All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Scumvm

Postby wietze » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:12 pm

jury wrote:
So what wietze is actually asking is whether someone can send him the *binaries* originally placed on ge.tt. :)

Here is the latest mikro's version ( or at least I think it was the latest binary from this thread ):

https://ufile.io/k2icocb7

Do you have the accompanied compatible game engines with this as well, by any chance :) ?

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:36 pm

On emuparadise there is a section for SCUMMVM with all possible games running through SCUMMVM :)

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:53 am

No what I mean is, the scummvm development has added additional engines to the project, so that also other game can be ran. For example Lands of Lore is now scummvm compatible but it requires a kyra.dat that is supplied in the original source and distribution of the binaries. I was wondering if you have the accompanied files such as these for this specific scummvm build. I downloaded the kyra.dat from the 1.8 and 1.8.1 atari releases, but they seemed not compatible (or Im doing something wrong ;)).

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:18 am

Because the version you linked works very well, with audio and music enabled; and it'd be even more awesome if the other game engines could be used with this build of the scummvm. Have a look at the other game engines and their support: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Engines

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:40 pm

wietze wrote:No what I mean is, the scummvm development has added additional engines to the project, so that also other game can be ran. For example Lands of Lore is now scummvm compatible but it requires a kyra.dat that is supplied in the original source and distribution of the binaries. I was wondering if you have the accompanied files such as these for this specific scummvm build. I downloaded the kyra.dat from the 1.8 and 1.8.1 atari releases, but they seemed not compatible (or Im doing something wrong ;)).

I think you should be getting those from upstream ScummVM instead if the new build is v2.x: https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#extras

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:47 pm

Did you try the updated versions i linked? A bit of feedback would be nice. They were compiled with all engines enabled (the build process just disables some of them for the 8bit build for those which require a hires display)

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:50 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:Did you try the updated versions i linked? A bit of feedback would be nice. They were compiled with all engines enabled (the build process just disables some of them for the 8bit build for those which require a hires display)

Apologies, I did try them. I will compare the different builds tomorrow and get a report done here.

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:20 pm

Will try them too. Do I need to put your executables in the 2.0 folder and just run them instead of the original file ? Nothing more needed ? What about SDL ? They say here https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#extras it's mandatory. But where to put the file ? Sorry, newbie here.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:55 pm

> Do I need to put your executables in the 2.0 folder and just run them instead of the original file

Yes, that should do. Maybe you need to download the game data files if they have been changed, but i don't think so (eg. kyra.dat was last changed Fri Mar 8 2019)

> What about SDL

The Atari version does not need any extra libraries, they are all statically linked into the executable.

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Ok, thank you :-)
Last question, did you enable midi and should i try to use my MT-32 or is it disabled like every other Atari version ?

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 pm

I did neither explicitly enable or disable it, but i guess i won't work because i have no working timidity library for atari yet.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:06 am

I think what Sturm means whether the Atari ST MIDI support is enabled. It should be compilable but I'm not sure whether it's enabled by default.

Would be nice to have this confirmed, how well this feature works.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:33 am

ThorstenOtto wrote:because i have no working timidity library for atari yet.

Wow, this implies that there will be timidity for atari sometime. Nice! :D

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 am

jury wrote:
ThorstenOtto wrote:because i have no working timidity library for atari yet.

Wow, this implies that there will be timidity for atari sometime. Nice! :D

Don't be too happy prematurely. :) Having timidity running isn't an issue, I had it running for other SDL projects. The real problem is its performance, this needs to be rewritten for the DSP to make it somehow usable. So the native ST MIDI support is the most plausible way to go for now, IMHO.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:52 pm

I'm not a musician, but wouldnt't that imply that you also need some hardware to plug into the MIDI port, like the above mentioned Roland MT-32?

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:48 pm

mikro wrote:I think what Sturm means whether the Atari ST MIDI support is enabled. It should be compilable but I'm not sure whether it's enabled by default.

Would be nice to have this confirmed, how well this feature works.

Exactly. I never managed to use my MT-32 with the Atari version, whereas it works fine with the PC version or with native ST games : Police Quest 2, Operation Stealth, and so on.

I can't see any incoming midi message on the MT32 while using Scummvm for Atari (there is a green flashing LED on the MT32 panel when it's receiving midi).

I tried several versions and no chance yet.

It seems Midi support is disabled, (not just MT-32) within Scummvm itself, despite having the option to use it in the configuration menu.

And btw, what is "Timidity" ?

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:27 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:I'm not a musician, but wouldnt't that imply that you also need some hardware to plug into the MIDI port, like the above mentioned Roland MT-32?

The MT-32 is a midi Synth. You can plug any midi device in the Atari and it will receive data and generate sound, but most games were programmed with the MT-32 in mind, with special timbres and sounds and it's an awesome device for old games, the best sound you could get at this time.
just listen :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZXVqrSo7AA
(MT-32 starts at 2'03)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KHM9Kk970
(MT-32 starts at 3'35)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApX60Y8djPI&t=299s
(MT-32 starts at 4'00)
In this one you can see the MT-32 panel with incoming midi.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Sturm wrote:
And btw, what is "Timidity" ?

Timidity is an external library, which is some kind of an emulator of midi hardware:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Timidity

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:33 pm

Like jury said, timidity is a software synthesizer, that will transform the midi commands into audio samples and send them to some other audio device. That would allow hearing the midi music even if you don't have the hardware for it, at the cost of additional cpu power to do the translation.

I only saw that during configuration, it was complaining about that library missing.

it works fine with the PC version

In the PC version of scummvm, or in the PC version of those games? I guess the PC version handles that differently. Usually, i think you can have only one them, either send the data to some midi port (which is maybe disabled in the default build, have to check), or fed it through timidity, but not both.

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:10 pm

In the PC version of Scummvm. Works on PC using DosBox too.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:51 pm

I just took a look at the options, and there seems to a problem. When i run the new executable with the 2.0.0 release file, and try to open the option dialog, it complains about a missing theme file. So there seems to be more to this than just replacing the executable. It could also be that you have to replace at least kyra.dat, the 2.0.0 release was from 2017, and it has definitely changed since then.

Both STMIDI and MT-32 emulation seems to be compiled in though.

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 pm

Same here, can't open the option tab. If i do, the program stops. I use Scummvm 2.0, don't think there is a newer version for Atari.
I can select options if i select a game first, but not the general one.

ST midi and MT-32 options are there, but don't seem to have any effect.

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:23 pm

Hm i fear that becomes too complicated too me. i haven't found a clue yet how the Atari ST archive for 2.0.0 as built. It has an ATARI.TXT that isn't in the repo,for example.

The configure script at least does not seem to have an option to disable the atari midi backend. The 2.0.0 release though seems to have to mt-32 emulation disabled, because of some problems with the math library. That is no longer the case.

Maybe it would be an better option to ask some guru in their forum. Or maybe Miro knows some more details about Midi, if he had already made some experiments.

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:43 pm

Taken from Atari.txt in Scummvm 2.0.0 Atari 68020-60 zip :

"The MT32 emulator is disabled, Timidity is disabled, Scalars are disabled,
and FLAC support is not built in. Otherwise, all of the included libraries,
such as OGG or MAD, are built into each release and are running the latest
versions available. Most of these libraries were freshly cross-compiled
for each CPU target except for a few already-built libraries, such as SDL
from Patrice Mandin, which was released in November 2015. Everything was
compiled in Cygwin with the last release of Vincent Rivière's cross tools
and MiNTLib. "

and from the wiki :
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... i/FreeMiNT

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:15 am

Guys, first I would recommend to focus only on one thing. Forget about timidity, mt32 emulator and whatnot. The only thing worth exploring is whether the ST MIDI support is compiled in, what, looking at backends/midi/stmidi.cpp, should be in Atari build's case.

So I would perhaps enable warnings so messages like 'warning("ST Midi Port Open");' would show in the console and trace back what exactly enables / opens this driver.

Social Media

Return to “Games”