https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

RedMoonLevel9
Atarian
Atarian

World Karate Championship Atari800

Postby RedMoonLevel9 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:34 am

Hi all,
I just recently setup my MiSTer and I love it, I'm running it on a Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP at 1600x1200 (which poses another question I'll ask another time) and most games work great.
I do appreciate that this is open-source freeware so no I don't expect it to be perfect (although it damn near is from what I can tell).
However, one of my favourite games on the Atari800 XL was/is World Karate Championship but it doesn't seem to run correctly.
The first thing is that the colors are off, in the first scene the floor should be orange but is instead a sort of muddy green.
Secondly the screen seems to wrap around slightly on the left, which I can live with of course.
And finally there is no sound in-game at all, but it does have the title music on the initial screen which sounds fine.

One thing I have noticed is that running it in PAL mode make the colors correct but then it runs slower (of course) and there is still no sound.
Can anyone give me a hint on how this can be happening or is it a known problematic game?

All this aside I really am enjoying playing around with this core on the MiSTer, it's excellent!

Thanks.

RedMoonLevel9
Atarian
Atarian

Re: World Karate Championship Atari800

Postby RedMoonLevel9 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:23 pm

In fact, there are several games that exhibit the color issue in NTSC mode - Chuckie Egg and Jet Boot Jack spring to mind.
I wonder if this is just an artifact of the hardware?
Or maybe I need to adjust the video mode.. honestly I'm not knowledgeable enough to know.. yet!

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:54 pm

World Championship Karate running on an NTSC XL will look like this (barring the overscan areas which you would not see on a standard TV of the era). The green color is correct.

MiSTer core

Altirra

RedMoonLevel9
Atarian
Atarian

Postby RedMoonLevel9 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:20 am

Ahh I see - I guess this is because of the difference in clock frequency?
I was just reading about the difference between PAL and NTSC colors and it is starting to make sense now.
The overscan area is interesting since most games don't seem to show it but I can understand why it wouldn't show on a standard CRT TV.
However it doesn't answer the question as to why in-game sound is missing, maybe the rom is bad, although I have lots of versions.

foft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby foft » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:43 pm

The 'correct' palette is a matter of controversy! I used the default palette from Altirra for the RGB modes, from a few versions ago.

For composite modes (on mcctv and EclaireXL) I use 24 degrees on ntsc and 22.5 degrees in pal. That gives the correct colours for the star raiders shields and still has more of a brown colour here. That said it depends how the tv is adjusted! In ntsc you can adjust it using the phase adjustment on your tv (I'm using -36).
Last edited by foft on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby foft » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:43 pm

The intro music plays fine though from the atx version. In-game I only have 'hitting' sounds, is that normal?

Edit: I'm testing on EclaireXL, but the mister is a port so should be the same.

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:26 pm

foft wrote:The intro music plays fine though from the atx version. In-game I only have 'hitting' sounds, is that normal?

Edit: I'm testing on EclaireXL, but the mister is a port so should be the same.

Yes in game it's just sound effects not music.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:07 am

Yes the colors are off as there is no NTSC color fixed version. They just ported it over with no change to colors from International Karate!

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/23306 ... nt=4178609
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

Return to “MiSTer”