Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby MartinW » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:52 am

Last edited by MartinW on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:08 am

The binary writes infos about the image it tries to load on the console output. You can find the instructions above. I had the problem, that the binary didn't accept the cylinder/sector/head combination of an image created on an A1200. Maybe we have to relax the constraints.

Mickoz
Atarian
Atarian

Anyone managed to get Dungeon Master 2 running on minimig core?

Postby Mickoz » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:18 am

Hi All,

First post and I hope I haven't posted in the wrong place or broken any rules.

Has anyone managed to get Dungeon Master 2 running on their MiSTer under minimig?
I've tried as WHDLoad and installed straight to the hard drive on a minimig version of an A1200. I get a crash at around where the FTL splash screen should appear.

Same install works fine under WinUAE.

Thanks

Mick

GoingDown
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Anyone managed to get Dungeon Master 2 running on minimig core?

Postby GoingDown » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:58 am

Mickoz wrote:Has anyone managed to get Dungeon Master 2 running on their MiSTer under minimig?
I've tried as WHDLoad and installed straight to the hard drive on a minimig version of an A1200. I get a crash at around where the FTL splash screen should appear.

Hmm, I got same problem. Tried whdload version with AGA amiga, as well as hard-disk installed version with ECS chipset. Both versions do crash on startup.

Mickoz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mickoz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:20 am

Hmm, chances are that there is something broken in minimig but I reckon our chances of it getting fixed are pretty slim. Looks like I’ll have to play it through on WinUAE as I haven’t got a real Amiga anymore.

Lroby74
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Lroby74 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:13 pm

How is situation of Minimig core? CPU 68020 development is still enough incomplete?

I am wondering because some games like Pinball Illusions AGA crashes on Minimig while works perfectly on Winuae

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Chol
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Chol » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:52 pm

MartinW wrote:I wasn't able to find a bug report on the Mist GitHub or the MiSTer GitHub

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/issues/109

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:32 pm

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Last edited by MartinW on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 pm

It's very unlikely that the recent updates cause slowdowns. The problem with the 68020 lib is the missing RTD instruction. I've been looking into it, but the tg68k code is a mess. After some trial & error, I got the old pure 68k version from opencores.org. Since everything works in parallel and communicates using global variables, it is pretty hard to follow. Maybe it would be easier to head straight for soft CPU emulation.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:32 pm

R4MS wrote:Maybe it would be easier to head straight for soft CPU emulation.

I don't think it will be easier. If you are talking about hybrid emulation, then it will require to use AXI bridges, so HPS part with emulated CPU will directly address the chipset emulated on FPGA part. So it will require some more knowledge about Cyclone V chip.

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:15 am

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:56 am

MartinW wrote:For what it's worth I didn't get a lot of time this evening but I did some tests and as suspected there's no difference between the current mix of main and minimig and the versions just before the framebuffer came in, but minimig disk access is definitely slower than it was when I initially built my MiSTer. Disk speed is currently benchmarking at roughly 1.3MB/s when it used to be around 1.8MB/s but I do sometimes take a reading and it's up to 1.6.

None of this is very scientific, I'll have to do some digging. At the end of the day it's probably something on my Amiga install.

Maybe SD card access speed varies as your MiSTer's SD card fills up...

You should probably download older cores and test again to be more scientific. Mine is about 1.5MB/sec but gets an additional 350K/sec with IDEFix...

Mickoz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mickoz » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:49 am

I'm new to the Mister and minimig cores and wonder if anyone can point me at a dummies guide to setting up a 7.5GB hardfile using a Windows PC, using either WinUAE or AmigaForever that I can use on either the software emulation on the PC or hardware emulation on the MiSTer.
I have burned many frustrating hours with PFS3 and SFS 1.84 trying to make a hardfile that works. On the PC it seems easy, but as soon as I transfer to the MiSTer SD card via direct copy or FTP, it shows as non DOS under an A1200 lookalike running ClassicWB 3.1. I've added SFS and PFS AIO to the ClassicWB 3.1 L: directory.

As Catweazle would say "Nuthing works"

My understanding is that either PFS3 or SFS utilise directscsi and don't require a patched scsi.device to achieve up to 8GB partitions.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Nub (Mick)

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Mickoz wrote:I'm new to the Mister and minimig cores and wonder if anyone can point me at a dummies guide to setting up a 7.5GB hardfile using a Windows PC, using either WinUAE or AmigaForever that I can use on either the software emulation on the PC or hardware emulation on the MiSTer.
I have burned many frustrating hours with PFS3 and SFS 1.84 trying to make a hardfile that works. On the PC it seems easy, but as soon as I transfer to the MiSTer SD card via direct copy or FTP, it shows as non DOS under an A1200 lookalike running ClassicWB 3.1. I've added SFS and PFS AIO to the ClassicWB 3.1 L: directory.

My understanding is that either PFS3 or SFS utilise directscsi and don't require a patched scsi.device to achieve up to 8GB partitions.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Nub (Mick)

This helped me. https://hstwb.firstrealize.com/ They have some ready to use HD files that WinUAE and MiSTer recognize without issues. Then you can install Workbench on it via WinUAE as normal. Or you can build a new file. They also have some utilities and scripts that help you build what you want as well. It's a good starting point anyway.

Mickoz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mickoz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:08 pm

drj3rk wrote:
Mickoz wrote:I'm new to the Mister and minimig cores and wonder if anyone can point me at a dummies guide to setting up a 7.5GB hardfile using a Windows PC, using either WinUAE or AmigaForever that I can use on either the software emulation on the PC or hardware emulation on the MiSTer.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Nub (Mick)

This helped me. https://hstwb.firstrealize.com/ They have some ready to use HD files that WinUAE and MiSTer recognize without issues. Then you can install Workbench on it via WinUAE as normal. Or you can build a new file. They also have some utilities and scripts that help you build what you want as well. It's a good starting point anyway.

Thanks, that looks to be exactly what I need.

AmigOS2
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby AmigOS2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:56 am

I'm new to the MiSTer scene, coming from the MiST Amiga implementation. I'd like to configure the MiSTer using the files in the SD card of the MiST. Is this possible? If so, which files to use and where to copy in the MiSTer card?

Just to clarify, the SD card in the MiST is configured to boot straight into Amiga OS3.9, and it is configured as an Amiga only; not other cores.

foxp4v
Atarian
Atarian

Postby foxp4v » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:54 am

Hi to everyone, trying minimig core i've an issue with the loading of the game Jim Power in Mutant Planet, i've tried all the versions available in .adf, the only one that works Is a version patched for AGA, loaded with a A1200 like config. All the others versions crash at the beginning of the first level, most of the times, sometimes It does not crash but give immediatly the game over screen and then crashes.

Mickoz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mickoz » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:37 am

Cant delete my post. Replied below
Last edited by Mickoz on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mickoz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mickoz » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:38 am

AmigOS2 wrote:I'm new to the MiSTer scene, coming from the MiST Amiga implementation. I'd like to configure the MiSTer using the files in the SD card of the MiST. Is this possible? If so, which files to use and where to copy in the MiSTer card?

Just to clarify, the SD card in the MiST is configured to boot straight into Amiga OS3.9, and it is configured as an Amiga only; not other cores.

You can start MiSTer with a specific core (e.g. always with the minimig core) by renaming the chosen core file to «core.rbf». The core named «core.rbf» is always loaded when MiSTer is turned on. (You can load other cores from the options menu).

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:00 pm

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:02 pm

Mickoz wrote:
AmigOS2 wrote:I'm new to the MiSTer scene, coming from the MiST Amiga implementation. I'd like to configure the MiSTer using the files in the SD card of the MiST. Is this possible? If so, which files to use and where to copy in the MiSTer card?

You can start MiSTer with a specific core (e.g. always with the minimig core) by renaming the chosen core file to «core.rbf». The core named «core.rbf» is always loaded when MiSTer is turned on. (You can load other cores from the options menu).

No, it's not that way. MiSTer never used core.rbf - it's MiST specific.
There is a special option for this.

Mickoz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mickoz » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:14 am

Sorgelig wrote:
Mickoz wrote:

No, it's not that way. MiSTer never used core.rbf - it's MiST specific.
There is a special option for this.

My bad, sorry.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:20 am

Currently, only Minimig core doesn't work with 64MB SDRAM module.
I'm not talking about supporting the whole 64MB RAM, but about the timings.

The problem is timings. And the only way i found is to lower the master clock from current 114.75MHz to to 112MHz. This makes 64MB module work. All derived clocks like 28MHz and 7MHz will be automatically reduced. For example 28.68MHz will become 28MHz. 7.17MHz -> 7MHz.

Everything in Minimig will work slower at the same amount, approximately 2.5%.
Wonder what ppl think about it.

Return to “MiSTer”