https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: MISTer (Main Core)

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:12 pm

onaryc29 wrote:pcengine/coregrafx and not turbografx

PC Engine is dumbest name they could make! When i've heard this name time after time i always was thinking it was about PC/AT computer and didn't notice it's completely different device till recent time. So this console is totally slipped from my sight. And the only reason - confusing name.

onaryc29
Atari User
Atari User

Postby onaryc29 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:15 pm

well i think that most console/computer names are stupid (well i like coregrafx but turbografx is just awful) but when you try to find the correct one in the menu...

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:44 pm

PC Engine is stupid because confusing mainly with Desktop PC. Otherwise it's up to manufacturer how to name it. So TurboGrafx is pretty much fine name.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:59 pm

Sorgelig wrote:PC Engine is stupid because confusing mainly with Desktop PC. Otherwise it's up to manufacturer how to name it. So TurboGrafx is pretty much fine name.

I agree, PC Engine does not work in english at all.

The only core name I don't like is minimig. It was very confusing to me to find the Amiga core when I started out. The rest are names that most people will recognize. Minimig also has lower case cores in releases so they list at the bottom where you expect the newest cores to be, that also got me when I was starting out :P

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:20 pm

I will correct the case of Minimig.
The name is pretty much recognizable in FPGA community. It's like UAE. Although it's stands for "Universal Amiga Emulator", it's seldom mentioned by this long name. Mentioning WinUAE won't bring your attention if you don't know what WinUAE is.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:15 pm

Would it be a problem if I add a small commit to make the core create a ROM folder for itself when the user chooses to load a file from the OSD? I can't think of a situation where you wouldn't want this behavior.

Xtro
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Xtro » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:30 pm

Just updated MiSTer from update script like always (Linux + MiSTer + Menu), everything seemed smooth but now from menu doesn't enter screensaver mode darkening the screen, also core selection doesn't hide like it should in newest version.

gojira54
Atari User
Atari User

Postby gojira54 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:30 am

Sorgelig wrote:PC Engine is stupid because confusing mainly with Desktop PC. Otherwise it's up to manufacturer how to name it. So TurboGrafx is pretty much fine name.

How about using 'SuperGrafx'? That's the most compatible base hardware and for me using the inferior hardware US label does grate - it was a Japanese product & had most popularity/sales there...
Please do not take it personal, my lawyer has policies

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:34 am

Xtro wrote:Just updated MiSTer from update script like always (Linux + MiSTer + Menu), everything seemed smooth but now from menu doesn't enter screensaver mode darkening the screen, also core selection doesn't hide like it should in newest version.

screen is not darkening but OSD disappear after some time but only if you have picture in background.
I'm going to change it a little by hiding OSD on any screen after specified timeout.

BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BitsNStuff » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 am

I think the only reason the PC Engine was used is because NEC had quite a long run of gaming computers that all began with PC, those systems weren't particularly well known outside of Japan but it was a pretty powerful brand when the PC Engine released rather than it being a description of what it could do.

I always quite liked the PC Engine but in some ways it was because in the UK we didn't actually hear that much about the system so for me it was one of those almost magical systems because it all just seemed so alien in comparison to other machines that were available. There was a certain romance to the machine, the name, the games that ran on the system.

Of course, it was also helped by the aesthetics and dimensions of the actual console, it just all seemed to be so futuristic, so different. The PC Engine core is one of the things that really sold MiSTer to me, I use it a lot and I'm so grateful for all the work that's been put into it. :D

gojira54
Atari User
Atari User

Postby gojira54 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:30 pm

I think the engine part of the PC Engine name comes from steam engine as well as computing engine, the hardware creators were massive locomotive nerds (fair play ;)

https://b2b.partcommunity.com/community ... ge_article
Please do not take it personal, my lawyer has policies

Carpetman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Carpetman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:44 pm

I've been using my MiSTer for several months now with an 8bitdo USB Reciever and wireless USB Keyboard.
However after the last update, they will not work together. As in one or the other will work fine, but not if they're both plugged in. I tried several other keyboards, and even reformatted the SD card and it still does the same thing :(

What could the problem be?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Try to change USB port for 8bitdo and keyboard

Carpetman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Carpetman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Try to change USB port for 8bitdo and keyboard

Thanks for replying Sorgelig,
I have switched them around and still get the same result. I am using a 4 port USB dongle, if that changes anything

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:59 am

Carpetman wrote:

I have switched them around and still get the same result. I am using a 4 port USB dongle, if that changes anything

did you update the 8bitdo firmware recently? Also what controllers are you using, do they have firmware updates? If you are using switch controllers update the firmware on those. Also the usb hub your using makes a big difference. I had what your describing before but after all the latest linux and firmware updates everything work great.

Carpetman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Carpetman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:54 pm

warham wrote:
Carpetman wrote:

did you update the 8bitdo firmware recently? Also what controllers are you using, do they have firmware updates? If you are using switch controllers update the firmware on those. Also the usb hub your using makes a big difference. I had what your describing before but after all the latest linux and firmware updates everything work great.

No, I have not tried a firmware update on the receiver, and I am using the NES and SNES DIY kits. I'll try an update. It's strange, when I load older linux and MiSTer firmwares they work fine again...

Carpetman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Carpetman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:47 pm

And that seemed to do it! Updated the receivers, and they work great. I now feel dumb, but thanks warham! :D

Btw, outstanding work Sorgelig!

BlockABoots
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby BlockABoots » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Finally 2 button combo for mister menu!, thanks Sorgelig :cheers:

Lightwave
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Lightwave » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 pm

BlockABoots wrote:Finally 2 button combo for mister menu!, thanks Sorgelig :cheers:

Yes, this was a nice surprise!

I use a SNES Classic controller as my main driver, now I can finally stop juggling keyboard and controller :)

Lightwave
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Lightwave » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 pm

I'm having an issue with 2 button Menu combo:

I've assigned "Select"+"Down" as the menu combo for my controller in the main MiSTer core, and it works correctly.

However, when I then try to assign buttons for that controller in a core where there are no assignments yet (default), pressing "Down" activates "Menu", even though "Select" is not pressed. This makes it impossible to assign the "Down" direction, as it will clear the button assignment in progress and start over.

A workaround for now is to temporarily remove the "Menu" button assignment in the main MiSTer core, assign buttons normally for all desired cores, and then re-enable the menu combo.

Thanks again for adding this feature.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Lightwave wrote:I'm having an issue with 2 button Menu combo:

i know this. It's already fixed but not released yet.

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PhantombrainM » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Is custom font still working for you all?

My font is now default after updating today. mister.ini still has the path and the font is still in the directory.
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Remove leading / from font path in ini.
ini_settings script needs to be updated.

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PhantombrainM » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:38 pm

That fixed it. Thank you.

I checked Github mister.ini before if anything is new, but the dash is also present in current github mister.ini.
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

Maxarus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Maxarus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:39 pm

I did the current core update an now my retro usb snes adapter no longe allows me to map all the buttons. Had no issues with it before.

Return to “MiSTer”