https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MISTer (Main Core)

Postby kitrinx » Sat May 25, 2019 7:53 pm

To add to the input related issue:

I got some weird behavior using the IO port. When I was changing the value off USER_OUT[2..5] it caused my KVM switch to change input (maybe hitting print screen twice somehow?) Frequently when flashing a .sof file it will not respond to input from any usb devices now. I also so some input related console messages:

Code: Select all

[   79.035353] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90d3) error -71
[   79.040470] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90c2) error -71
[   79.045478] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90d1) error -71
[   79.050644] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90d2) error -71
[   79.055774] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90e1) error -71
[   79.060937] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90c1) error -71
[   79.066032] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90d3) error -71
[   79.072256] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90c2) error -71
[   79.077926] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90d1) error -71
[   79.084931] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90d2) error -71
[   79.091822] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90e1) error -71
[   79.097368] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90c1) error -71
[   79.105131] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90d3) error -71
[   79.110837] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90c2) error -71
[   79.116095] usb 1-1.1: clear tt 1 (90d1) error -71

Democalyps
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Democalyps » Sat May 25, 2019 8:23 pm

When rebooting the system from within a core my mister stops taking inputs from usb devices (bluetooth, logitech receiver, wired keyboard). Resetting using button or cold reboot does not cause these issues to appear.

Sometimes these garbage backgrounds show up after rebooting from a core.

Using latest mister main and linux files.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sat May 25, 2019 8:41 pm

In Minimig the mouse does no longer work and there are frequent crashes which restart the binary. Something we did not have before.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 25, 2019 9:59 pm

R4MS wrote:In Minimig the mouse does no longer work and there are frequent crashes which restart the binary. Something we did not have before.

I'm aware of mouse problem.. Unfortunately EVIOCGRAB has side effect. I'm working on workaround.
Democalyps wrote:When rebooting the system from within a core my mister stops taking inputs from usb devices (bluetooth, logitech receiver, wired keyboard). Resetting using button or cold reboot does not cause these issues to appear.

will be fixed. Use keyboard LCTRL+LAT+RALT for now to reboot to menu.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 25, 2019 10:01 pm

Democalyps wrote:Sometimes these garbage backgrounds show up after rebooting from a core.

This is belongs to very well known problem of DDR3 hanging if cores are switched too often. Press reset button on IOBoard to fix it.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 25, 2019 10:09 pm

kitrinx wrote:To add to the input related issue:
I got some weird behavior using the IO port. When I was changing the value off USER_OUT[2..5] it caused my KVM switch to change input (maybe hitting print screen twice somehow?)

I didn't get it. What's relation of KVM to USER I/O port??

kitrinx wrote:Frequently when flashing a .sof file it will not respond to input from any usb devices now.

While sending .sof, the Linux part wait it to finish and then doing warm reset of HPS part. If you have problematic USB hub or some USB device you may have it stuck while re-initialization upon Linux boot.
This is related to poor USB host hardware of Cyclone V (Same rubbish DesignWare company who developed all broken periphery of Cyclone V). It's still unknown if it possible to fix all USB problems just in drivers. So you are welcome to improve DWC2 USB Host driver.
Or find an USB hub working better. Make sure it's powered form 5V, not from micro-USB connector.
Official MiSTer 7-port USB Hub works good when it gets power from 5V DC connector.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Sat May 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
kitrinx wrote:To add to the input related issue:
I got some weird behavior using the IO port. When I was changing the value off USER_OUT[2..5] it caused my KVM switch to change input (maybe hitting print screen twice somehow?)

I didn't get it. What's relation of KVM to USER I/O port??

kitrinx wrote:Frequently when flashing a .sof file it will not respond to input from any usb devices now.

After sending .sof, the Linux part wait it to finish and then doing warm reset of HPS part. If you have problematic USB hub or some USB device you may have it stuck while re-initialization upon Linux boot.
This is related to poor USB host hardware of Cyclone V (Same rubbish DesignWare company who developed all broken periphery of Cyclone V). It's still unknown if it possible to fix all USB problems just in drivers. So you are welcome to improve DWC2 USB Host driver.
Or find an USB hub working better. Make sure it's powered form 5V, not from micro-USB connector.
My 7-port USB Hub works fine when it gets power from 5V DC connector)

I am only reporting it because it didn't happen before the update. KVM switches inputs if you hit scroll lock or printscreen, somehow this is getting triggered now, it didn't before. I have mister plugged into the KVM switch because I use the same screen, mouse, and keyboard for mister as I do for other development machines. I will test further and see I can find more about why this is happening now.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 25, 2019 10:23 pm

kitrinx wrote:I am only reporting it because it didn't happen before the update. KVM switches inputs if you hit scroll lock or printscreen, somehow this is getting triggered now, it didn't before. I have mister plugged into the KVM switch because I use the same screen, mouse, and keyboard for mister as I do for other development machines. I will test further and see I can find more about why this is happening now.

It's very strange problem. The keyboard is on other side of KVM than MiSTer. How it's possible computer(MiSTer) controls the switch?

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Sat May 25, 2019 10:37 pm

Sorgelig wrote:It's very strange problem. The keyboard is on other side of KVM than MiSTer. How it's possible computer(MiSTer) controls the switch?

I don't know. The light always flashes on the KVM input instead of being solid now too, which is different, like it doesn't see HDMI input. Maybe it is some other strange combination of things. Maybe minor hiccups in the USB which were ignored before are now enough to make it seek the next input. I don't have a good explanation yet except maybe some combination of input and video changed to upset it.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Sat May 25, 2019 11:15 pm

kitrinx wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:It's very strange problem. The keyboard is on other side of KVM than MiSTer. How it's possible computer(MiSTer) controls the switch?

I don't know. The light always flashes on the KVM input instead of being solid now too, which is different, like it doesn't see HDMI input. Maybe it is some other strange combination of things. Maybe minor hiccups in the USB which were ignored before are now enough to make it seek the next input. I don't have a good explanation yet except maybe some combination of input and video changed to upset it.

Okay. I found the problem. I tried several different hubs, and the USER_IO problems were because of just minor usb changes being triggered by the option I had been working on, but they hadn't been an issue before. After rolling back some changes and experimenting a little it was clear the problems centered around USB changes, but even when nothing changed, the KVM was still not acting correctly. It confused me so I tested some different HDMI cables and hubs and some other things, but the odd behavior persisted. After a while I discovered the issue though.

I guess around the time I updated, my cat chewed up the mouse cable connected to the KVM and caused it to malfunction. Sorry! :oops:

(Warm reset thing is still new behavior though, and problems on flashing .sof files, that still happens and is new)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 26, 2019 12:32 am

kitrinx wrote:I guess around the time I updated, my cat chewed up the mouse cable connected to the KVM and caused it to malfunction. Sorry! :oops:

:mrgreen: :lol:

kitrinx wrote:(Warm reset thing is still new behavior though, and problems on flashing .sof files, that still happens and is new)

I didn't change it at least a year. So i've no idea what causes the problem. May be cat chewed the other cable? ;)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 26, 2019 12:36 am

This zImage_dtb should fix the mouse problem:
https://mega.nz/#!QZ5W0KYb!_RNeESw2kkZV ... 2q2aqzki2Y

djmartins
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby djmartins » Sun May 26, 2019 12:50 am

I do like the new menu backgrounds!
:cheers:

The new zImage_dtb fixed the Minimig mouse problem for me....

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 26, 2019 8:13 am

Test version of MiSTer binary:
MiSTer.zip

Should fix unresponsive keyboard/gamepads after reboot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Democalyps
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Democalyps » Sun May 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Test version of MiSTer binary:
MiSTer.zip
Should fix unresponsive keyboard/gamepads after reboot.

This update fixed unresponsive usb devices on reboot for me. Thanks

JamesF

Postby JamesF » Sun May 26, 2019 2:39 pm

Yes, that fixed the keyboard issue. Thank you!

menu.png/jpg on boot still doesn't work,, also mister logo doesn't show.
People on discord reporting the same issue,, grey squares and no logo on power cycle.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun May 26, 2019 3:46 pm

JamesF wrote:menu.png/jpg on boot still doesn't work,, also mister logo doesn't show.
People on discord reporting the same issue,, grey squares and no logo on power cycle.

i suggest to make another fresh SD card with latest Linux release (+ fixes) and check.
To make sure, place menu.png on PC before inserting to MiSTer to avoid corruption.

JamesF

Postby JamesF » Sun May 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Everything is fine with linux and the menu.png file.
After I press lalt+lshift+lctrl+ralt, I see the background again.

hex12
Atarian
Atarian

Postby hex12 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello,
On SNES core i cannot make any usb pad working after having updated to last Linux and Main Mister release.
No absolute answer from the pad, neither from the menu trying to configure controller.
It is as if the pad is broken, but it is not as it correctly works on my PC.
Tried 8bitdo SNES pad and PS4 pad (both with cable).
USB Hub is working because my usb keyboard perfectly work.

I think it should be a Linux or Main mister problem.
Can you please help on that?

onaryc29
Atari User
Atari User

Postby onaryc29 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:23 pm

i'm not sure it is the right place to discuss about that but here are some points, that are not necessary but could improve the developer work/user experience.

• change the conf str title according to the region : for me it is not genesis but megadrive or pcengine/coregrafx and not turbografx 8). Perhaps it shall be done in a translation generic feature in the framework. I'm good with english but it would be nice for a lot all people.
  • add the key accelerators in the osd conf str : no need to manage that anymore in each core.
  • for the conf str, one have to specify the range used in the status, it is pretty straightforward but, is there a way to specify the range in bit number and using variables instead of numbers. If not, the index could be computed by the framework and returned to the core. With the actual version, if an option needs more bit range in the status for more values, you could potentially have to change a lot of indexes from other option in the process. Instead of :

"O13,Scandoubler Fx,None,HQ2x,CRT 25%,CRT 50%,CRT 75%;",

Having something like that :

"O,3, ScanDH, ScanDH, Scandoubler Fx,None,HQ2x,CRT 25%,CRT 50%,CRT 75%;",

The main advantages are that the code is more comprehensible and if there is an option modification in the osd menu, only the index of the concern option has to be changed (if needed).
  • i see why it can be needed to have a small timer for changing the video mode but i think it shall be taken care in the framework (the timer value can be configured through an hps_io option if each machine need a specific value or perhaps this value can be changed in the osd if it depends on the display used). Currently, there are differences in some cores (genesis, snes, sms,...)

JamesF

Postby JamesF » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:01 pm

delete

Shamus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Shamus » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:13 pm

I am sorry to post this noob question. I would like to do the MiSter Linux update by replacing "linux.img" and "zImage_dtb" by hand on the SD card using a PC because my MiSter is not connected to the internet. I located "zImage_dtb" but were do I get "linux.img"?

:shrug:

esmith13
Atariator
Atariator

Postby esmith13 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:18 pm

Shamus wrote:I am sorry to post this noob question. I would like to do the MiSter Linux update by replacing "linux.img" and "zImage_dtb" by hand on the SD card using a PC because my MiSter is not connected to the internet. I located "zImage_dtb" but were do I get "linux.img"?

:shrug:

You can get both files from here: download the latest release at the botton, of course...

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... n64_MiSTer

Shamus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Shamus » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:23 pm

It's in the updated SD Card Installer RAR! Right? Stupid me! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:53 pm

onaryc29 wrote:i'm not sure it is the right place to discuss about that but here are some points, that are not necessary but could improve the developer work/user experience.

Probably it's better to get more familiar with HDL and how it works. What can be done easily and what is hard or expensive to make.
Traditional programming is not always applies to HDL although sometimes it looks similar.
And besides that, OSD config as also about description and mapping - current form is from one side is simple from other is powerful enough to handle.
There are near 100 cores handled by this OSD successfully. So, it's proven to be enough without overwhelmed complexity.

Return to “MiSTer”