Any fans of Atari ST BBS door games?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Any fans of Atari ST BBS door games?

Postby DarkLord » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Wow, that's different. I'm with you Jeff, I don't think I'veseen anything like that
either.

On DarkForce, I only use VT52 for static screens. This makes me want to investigate
the possibilities... :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

GelOhPig
Atarian
Atarian

Postby GelOhPig » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:16 am

Kirkman wrote:I used to call Flash BBS in St. Louis back in the early 1990s, and among my favorite games was Space Empire Elite. SEE of course was the inspiration for Solar Realms Elite, an immensely popular SEE clone for PC BBSes, which spawned Barren Realms Elite, Falcon's Eye, and many others.

Anybody else out there have good memories of Atari BBS door games? Better yet, any former ST door game programmers?

I want to help preserve the history of these old games. Years ago I create several articles (including one for SEE) on Wikipedia. But now the scourge of "notability" has begun to claim them. Activist editors deleted the SEE article because of a dearth of reliable sources about its history and significance.

Computer historian Benj Edwards wrote a blog post this morning about that deletion: http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/922

Anyway, anticipating the deletion, I mirrored the SEE article (along with all other Wikipedia BBS door game articles) onto a new wiki: http://breakintochat.com.

My immediate goal is to preserve these old articles, but my longer-term goal is to expand and strengthen them. I know this forum is full of history-minded folks, and also folks who have access to old magazines and the like. If you come across anything relevant to old BBS door games, please visit my site and contribute what information you can!

--Josh

Not trying to thread-trash, but I use to call Flash in St. Louis. Also BuckSkin, The Frog BBS, The Bungalow, Night Moves, The Chef, Gateway, and a few others. I went by the handle "Boner" (I was a kid...sorry!) Goo to see a St. Louis Atari BBS'r!

Kirkman
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Kirkman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:09 am

GelOhPig wrote:Not trying to thread-trash, but I use to call Flash in St. Louis. Also BuckSkin, The Frog BBS, The Bungalow, Night Moves, The Chef, Gateway, and a few others. I went by the handle "Boner" (I was a kid...sorry!) Goo to see a St. Louis Atari BBS'r!

Glad to hear from you! I'm in touch with Gateway*Shoe, the SysOp of Gateway, but I haven't found Dick Pederson or any of the other Flash folks I remember like Ron Robinson and his son Michael.

Any fun memories of those old boards?

Kirkman

Starfleet HQ BBS is back online

Postby Kirkman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:54 am

There's a new old Atari ST BBS I had never come across before: Starfleet HQ, running RatSoft BBS.

Here's the address: bbs.sfhqbbs.org

I was especially happy to find it because they have SEE version 11.37, a version I have never tried before, from 1996.

zonky900
Atari User
Atari User

Postby zonky900 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:09 am

I never played BBS door games growing up...
i would really love to call in to one of these places and play on my STe!

GelOhPig
Atarian
Atarian

Postby GelOhPig » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Kirkman wrote:
GelOhPig wrote:Not trying to thread-trash, but I use to call Flash in St. Louis. Also BuckSkin, The Frog BBS, The Bungalow, Night Moves, The Chef, Gateway, and a few others. I went by the handle "Boner" (I was a kid...sorry!) Goo to see a St. Louis Atari BBS'r!

Glad to hear from you! I'm in touch with Gateway*Shoe, the SysOp of Gateway, but I haven't found Dick Pederson or any of the other Flash folks I remember like Ron Robinson and his son Michael.

Any fun memories of those old boards?

Several!
TurboCrossFire and I along with his cousin turned the Frog BBS message board around a few times in a matter of hours. I think the board had a running number of 100 message per board. Not a big deal now by any means, but when you have 300 Baud, a time limit, and other people wanting to read and share the bbs, it was a big big deal. other memories as well. It was a good time.

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:04 am

Yes I am a big fan, I am at present resurrecting my old BBS Spy Visits Spy BBS with Forem ST 3.77 and STIK, I will have a working copy up here as soon as I unzip 7 door games that I have downloaded. My BBS will be running again.

Russ
Call Spy Visits Spy BBS at Telnet 99.250.141.63
port 1989. BBS is up and running , but not all of the bugs ironed out. :megaphone:

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Cool Russ. I certainly miss the BBS times, but not the phone bills. :D
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:33 am

dhedberg wrote:Cool Russ. I certainly miss the BBS times, but not the phone bills. :D

That's why so many of us were stoked by the arrival of the UDS LAN to serial port adapters.

Long live telnet and BBS's! :)

Kirkman

Postby Kirkman » Wed May 22, 2019 3:41 pm

rcamp48 wrote:Yes I am a big fan, I am at present resurrecting my old BBS Spy Visits Spy BBS with Forem ST 3.77 and STIK, I will have a working copy up here as soon as I unzip 7 door games that I have downloaded. My BBS will be running again.

Russ

Do you have any old messages on the BBS, or are you re-creating from scratch?

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:20 pm

Unfortunately I lost all of the old messages , so I am recreating from scratch. Russ
port 1989. BBS is up and running , but not all of the bugs ironed out. :megaphone:

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:44 am

I am now up and running Spy Visits Spy BBS on one modem, tomorrow I install the Lantronics device, the theme of my BBS is that you have gone back to 1989, where there were lots of BBSes, and the old theme of Spy Visits Spy BBS has been resurrected. My BBS is being run on a real Atari ST with Forem ST, I had downloaded all PC doors and realized that I had to have ST doors, so I grabbed what I could, now the work of properly setting them all up. I am getting a 16 port server to run all of my Lantronics devices and modems, I have 2 phone lines and two modems that work perfectly but only connect at 2400 baud. (28800s). Phone number for now to call is
1-226-647-0501 Russ

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:46 am

DarkLord wrote:
dhedberg wrote:Cool Russ. I certainly miss the BBS times, but not the phone bills. :D

That's why so many of us were stoked by the arrival of the UDS LAN to serial port adapters.

Long live telnet and BBS's! :)

Hey Darklord: Can I connect more than one called on my BBS with a UDS-10 Lantronics device? or am I limited to one caller ? Russ

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:32 pm

rcamp48 wrote:
Hey Darklord: Can I connect more than one called on my BBS with a UDS-10 Lantronics device? or am I limited to one caller ? Russ

At least with BBS Express ST! v1.98a, you're limited to -1- caller at a time.

There were a few BBS software packages that supported multiple lines, but not many.

Michtron v3.0 (which Atari Corp used with a special setup).

Octopus.

Not sure about Ratsoft...

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Same with Forem ST. I have it running good now, limited to 2 GIGS online with the Ultra Satan , otherwise it will crash
Russ

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:16 pm

Spy Visits Spy BBS is now running some door games, but its still in testing mode, help me test the online games at
99.250.141.63 port 1989 , Russ

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”