Removing a mighty sonic board

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Removing a mighty sonic board

Postby wietze » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Ola, I recently became a (humble) owner of an atari falcon. I found that it currently has a mighty sonic board (32mhz cpu and up to 32mb fastram).

Im still a total falcon noob, and am wondering how easy it is to remove this board.

Any ideas?

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Removing a mighty sonic board

Postby frank.lukas » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Not so easy ...

There are two pins from the original CPU lift off and 9 wire solder in the Mainboard. Take a look into the DOITF030 ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby arf » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:18 pm

wietze wrote:Ola, I recently became a (humble) owner of an atari falcon. I found that it currently has a mighty sonic board (32mhz cpu and up to 32mb fastram).

Im still a total falcon noob, and am wondering how easy it is to remove this board.

Any ideas?

If you’d like to remove it, I'd like to buy it.

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:01 pm

frank.lukas wrote:Not so easy ...

There are two pins from the original CPU lift off and 9 wire solder in the Mainboard. Take a look into the DOITF030 ...

Would this imply I need to get a new 68030 cpu to replace the old one?

Desoldering the wires seem something that is achievable.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:11 pm

To disable the original CPU you have to lift off CPU pin 16 and lift off pin 17 too and put pin17 to GND.

To activate the old original CPU you have to resolder CPU pin16 to the Mainboard CPU16 pad and CPU pin17 do the same ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 pm

frank.lukas wrote:To disable the original CPU you have to lift off CPU pin 16 and lift off pin 17 too and put pin17 to GND.

To activate the old original CPU you have to resolder CPU pin16 to the Mainboard CPU16 pad and CPU pin17 do the same ...

Yup I looked into it. It seemed to be under some glue, and the cpu is not socketed, so this seems to be a challenge. I hope to find someone that can do this with a steady hand in the coming time :)

Ayreon
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Ayreon » Tue May 07, 2019 2:50 pm

http://wiki.newtosworld.de/index.php?title=Mighty_Sonic_32 and https://archive.org/details/GE-SoFt_Mighty_Sonic_32_RAM_expansion_for_the_Atari_Falcon030_German_undated/page/n3 here's a bit more info with photo's. It's in German though.
By the way.. many thanks for the surprise. My wife loved the flowers :)

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Rustynutt » Sat May 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Actually, unless you are upgrading further, the Mighty Sonic is a nice accelerator, especially the alternate ram. As long as it's working properly :) Like the Afterburner, difficult to use without using an external keyboard.
Agree, reattaching the CPU pins isn't the easiest of solder jobs.

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:15 pm

Make sure to put in healthy RAM cardriges. Also the RAM Slots pins must be in a good condition. What to do, if one of the pins is broken?

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi there guys, a little follow-up. The mighty sonic board is removed, and the falcon is still operational :)

However, I seem to be having something thats bothering the bus (I think) because GEM Bench is giving me these results:

RAM Access: 63%
ROM Acces: 51%

The waitstates for ROM and RAM are set ok (1 for ROM, 0 for RAM).

Any suggestions as what to look/try next?

gembench2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:20 am

I would start by confirming that these numbers are correct. Have you tried Nembench?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:40 am

joska wrote:I would start by confirming that these numbers are correct. Have you tried Nembench?

All I did so far was run the benchmark and ask a confirmed correctly working falcon to run the same benchmark. It ended up the same, albeit having numbers of ~100% at the RAM and ROM states.

I will follow up on your suggestion and run Nembench tonite, again both on mine and on the correctly working stock falcon.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”