Lotto 649 Package for Atari ST (Not yet Done)

GFA BASIC-related articles in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

rcamp48
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Lotto 649 Package for Atari ST (Not yet Done)

Postby rcamp48 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:16 pm

I am posting the source code for my Lotto 649 Package for the PC written originally in Quick Basic 4.5, updated to qb64, and now I wuld like to challenge anyone to rewrite this basic coe to work on the Atari ST. I have included all of the code for the various Canadian Lotteries, and the data files needed, you will have to search the code and rename the data filenames to appropriate names on the Atari ST to make the data files fit what I have written in the main code. It will be a challenge as I have over 59 K of code on the basic program, graphics is simple and can be redone on the Atari ST, I converted it to the Atari Portfolio years ago and as soon as I get my Atari Portfolio in the mail , I will recreate the source code again for that system. I will of course attempt to rewrite my code to the Atari ST, I don't know how compatable GFA Basic is with qb45 but I will also try Hisoft Basic for the Atari ST.

Here is the code:
LottoST.zip

Enjoy: Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call Spy Visits Spy BBS at Telnet 99.250.141.63
port 1989. BBS is up and running , but not all of the bugs ironed out. :megaphone:

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: Lotto 649 Package for Atari ST (Not yet Done)

Postby charles » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:42 pm

there already is a gfa lotto 649 code somewhere russ ,,,, yours will have a look
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:02 pm

Ya probably I have an update to mine including the GFA Basic disk that I used with it, as the code is simply code I am including it on the disk , ya I did send up a code earlier on FaceBook it was about 40 percent complete , this newer code is around 80 percent complete, lots of bugs but I will take care of it , anyone got any ideas on how to create interesting bar graphs on the Atari ST in GFA Basic ? Have not yet learned how to do that, or point me to an English version of documentation that is good?
Anyways here is the zip file of the .ST disk, it once written will work on any Atari ST with 512 K of Ram. Russ

Lotto 649 Package Atari ST Version.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
port 1989. BBS is up and running , but not all of the bugs ironed out. :megaphone:

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:03 pm

I have spent about another 30 hours since the last post writing my Atari ST Lotto Package Beta Version X0.998
It is now more complete , everything is written in GFA Basic, and flows better than before, most of the menus are now in box format, you still have to press a menu key to use it , I am thinking of using the mouse, but it seems faster to input a single keystroke than it is to move a mouse. Most keystrokes are hotkeys, some are not, some menus are text only but I am slowly changing them over from the old dos program. All of the numbers in the data file load properly now, but yet to display in a format that I want. With 2 numbers a week, 52 weeks in a year my program can keep track of about 5 years worth of data and manipulate the data no problem. I have yet to test the program on a 512 K machine but my goal is to complete the program within 2 months and have full graphics and run on a 512 K machine. Russ

Here is the updated file:
Atari ST Lotto 649 Package Beta Version 0.998.zip

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mlynn1974 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi Russ,
Interesting program. I see you don't include GFA BASIC in this latest disk image.
Maybe you could include a link in a small readme.txt so that people can download It.
I think the ST Format magazine version is not for redistribution but most Atari programmers have a copy.

In STEEM I copied GFA 3.5 from my HDD to A: and ran it from there. No problems.
I loaded LOTTO649.GFA

Bugs found so far:
1. I tried to enter the winning numbers from the last selection: 2 10 13
but when I got to 13 it said "Number Out Of Range!"
2. Is the above correct [Y]
Error shown: File already open
I don't know how this should work. Should it search the winning numbers list? Maybe the file is opened previously and not closed before reopening?
3. Frequency calculator shows division by zero error.
Best to guard against this and display a proper error message and allow the program to continue running.

I don't know anything about the Canadian Lottery but must be a popular thing if people have been using the QBasic version for many years.
Keep going with this!
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:24 am

your program is very extensive russ , any way I can help just ask .....
thinking of going to visit u one of these days ......

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:57 pm

I am, working on a newer copy , I updated my qb64 program, and want to do the same thing in GFA Basic, but there are a lot of changes to be made. I will upload a zip file of the Lotto 649 Package 2020 Beta Version 0.998, it will be a total untouched version that works in qb64 but causes many errors in GFA basic. If someone wants to make it compatible with GFA Basic, then go ahead, I am spending m,y time on making the PC version work properly , then I will attempt to convert it to GFA basic, however anyone that wants to do this can if they want. And the date entering structure of the winning numbers entry will be automatic now. Its a big task, anyone up to it? Russ Campbell

PS: I will finish the QB64 version then upload it as is:

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mlynn1974 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi Russ,
Could you explain the history of this program please?
Was it originally written in QBasic but now ported and maintained in QB64?
Will the original program run correctly in the current build of QB64?
https://www.portal.qb64.org/

I was wondering if GFA BASIC is the best language for an ST version?

For this project it is more important to have a specification of what the program does rather than the code. Then it could be ported to any language. The ideal would be to write it in C\C++ but it's support for graphics would be rather limited. You could only really rely on stdio.h and conio.h for universal portability. If BASIC has to be used for convenience it is best to split the program into as many functions as required so that each function can be easily tested and so that changes in the master version (QB64) can be back ported to the ST easily.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Atari ST Lotto 649 Package Beta V 0.9982.zip
Ya I started writing the program in 1994 for a doctor in my area, he paid me $40 Can per change on the program, basically what it does is allows you to enter winning numbers, search for a set of numbers in previous draws, there is a 14 to 42 number wheeling system, random number wheeling system of 14 to 42 numbers, graph menus of any date range , and a history calculator. What I do in the history calculator is first find out the number of times each number comes up, how often and search for numbers that have not come up within the last 2 months. This is all working in my PC version, but I am now working on getting the ST version working properly. I will have a routine that will check for either a mono or colour monitor and display the screens accordingly. IT is a big project , over 3000 lines of code, several data files, and even has a serial key on it (encrypted) with a de-crypting routine in the start of the program.

Here is my latest version,
Atari ST Lotto 649 Package Beta V 0.9982.zip
all in functions now, but yet to be working, I have used about half of the functions, and I will write a documentation file in detail for the program, although when fully operational, the program will be self documented.

Another feature being implemented is an auto next draw update, the program will automatically calculate the day (Wed) or (Sat) or each draw, then add 3 or 4 days to the date of the last entered draw.

rcamp48

Postby rcamp48 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:16 pm

mlynn1974 wrote:Hi Russ,
Could you explain the history of this program please?
Was it originally written in QBasic but now ported and maintained in QB64?
Will the original program run correctly in the current build of QB64?
https://www.portal.qb64.org/

Yes it will, it is almost done.

I choose GFA Basic because almost everyone uses it.

I was wondering if GFA BASIC is the best language for an ST version?

For this project it is more important to have a specification of what the program does rather than the code. Then it could be ported to any language. The ideal would be to write it in C\C++ but it's support for graphics would be rather limited. You could only really rely on stdio.h and conio.h for universal portability. If BASIC has to be used for convenience it is best to split the program into as many functions as required so that each function can be easily tested and so that changes in the master version (QB64) can be back ported to the ST easily.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:17 pm

I like it , even tho its got a classic 8-bit style to the program flow ,,,
im about to rewrite the entire package just for fun ... its cool neat and keeps me thinking ... thanks russ !

rcamp48

Re: Lotto 649 Package for Atari ST (Nearing Completion)

Postby rcamp48 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Hey Charles: I have just finished putting everything into Functions, and most menus are working now, winning numbers database is loading into memory OK, I have yet to test the search and print menu, but it should speed up considerably now as I have coded almost all functions and called about 60 percent of them, feel free to re-write the program, it should be easier now that everything has a function.... I am working now on the auto-update feature of them program, it know what the day of the week is for the years 1900 to 2100, just have to put in the code to automatically put in the date of the next draw, bar-charts are next in my line of work, and of course using the mouse in the main menus instead of the keyboard would be good I can even put in a good spiffy picture in the windows(s)........lots of ideas, here is the latest update. Russ

lotto20.zip

Social Media

Return to “GFA BASIC”