We Love Atari (Volume One)

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Re: We Love Atari (Volume One)

Postby dhedberg » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:39 pm

I'm mostly interested in the 2nd volume as I never owned any 8-bit Atari system.
If I may ask, how many more books of the first volume do you need to sell before considering printing the second volume?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Videl wrote:
DarkLord wrote:Ordered Volume 1 just now....

@DarkLord - Than you for the order! I sent you an e-mail FYI :wink:

Yeah, got that straightened out. Don't have the honor or privilege of living
in Ireland. :) :) :)

Thanks!
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:55 pm

dhedberg wrote:I'm mostly interested in the 2nd volume as I never owned any 8-bit Atari system.
If I may ask, how many more books of the first volume do you need to sell before considering printing the second volume?

Same here - I'm buying volume one (I actually do have an 8 bit background and 1 Atari 800Xl still around) but I'm far more
interested in volume two...

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:30 pm

@dhedberg and @DarkLord:

I only just started selling the book, so it's still early days! I'm ahead of target and if sales keep steady, I should be able to to offer Volume 2 for sale in June. If you guys can spread the word, it might help us get there even quicker!

Volume 2 is also close to my "Atari childhood", so it has more relevance to me as well, but I had to start the story of Atari at the beginning :-)

It will be worth the wait, it is crammed with Tramiel goodness :-)

Karl
Karl
We Love Atari (Volume One and Two)
Available now @ www.zafinnbooks.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/zafinnbooks

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Videl wrote:If you guys can spread the word, it might help us get there even quicker!

I think the best thing to do would be to post on the Atari 800 section of AtariAge (http://atariage.com/forums/forum/12-ata ... -computers) as there's a much bigger target audience there.
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:15 pm

@ggn

Done! Just hope nobody gets too angry at me using multiple forums there :-( I sent a copy to Retro Gamer magazine after contacting the editor, maybe he'll give it a little mention...

Karl
Karl

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:47 am

I also just posted the initial announcement to The DarkForce! BBS so hopefully
it'll get more exposure.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:19 am

Added a link to your page here as well:
http://nb.atari.org/main.php?page=links
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:10 am

I have taken the freedom to post at Atari-Home in Germany:
https://forum.atari-home.de/index.php/t ... 119.0.html

I hope this will also help to spread the word.

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:44 am

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I can't reply to the thread on atari-home.de for language reasons! But just so everybody knows, I co-founded the Atari Historical Society with Curt Vendel and ran the Atari Explorer website for years (which I am bringing back to life later this year). My book is a visual history, with full colour images some which are very rare. It was meant to be a single book, but due to weight and shipping (it was over 2.3kg originally!), it was decided to make it two books. Shipping is expensive for 2 reasons: 1) It is a 1KG package and 2) I will only ship with registered mail to ensure it gets to you, and that costs a little more than regular post.

So even though it is the story of Atari from 1972, it is done in a more visual style, because I think we all know the basic story at this point. :)

Karl
Karl

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:01 am

There's been several books and movies about Atari Inc., telling us the story, giving us lots of pictures and arts, but not a single book that gives us insight in Atari Corp. and the development of the ST, MegaST, STe, MegaSTe, TT030, Falcon030, Lynx, and Jaguar. I'd love to read more about Atari Corp. and the employees (their backgrounds, their views on the projects and the company, etc). Interviews with software and hardware developers, managers, marketing people. Pictures of offices, prototypes, etc. That's a story that's never been told and I'm afraid never will be told at any depth. I had high hopes for the Atari Corp. - Business is War book, but it seems like it'll never be released. It's getting harder and harder to write this book as many of the people that can tell the story have passed away or simply no longer remember the details.

I'd be prepared to pay some serious money for an in-depth book about Atari Corp. :-)

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:26 am

dhedberg wrote:There's been several books and movies about Atari Inc., telling us the story, giving us lots of pictures and arts, but not a single book that gives us insight in Atari Corp. and the development of the ST, MegaST, STe, MegaSTe, TT030, Falcon030, Lynx, and Jaguar. I'd love to read more about Atari Corp. and the employees (their backgrounds, their views on the projects and the company, etc). Interviews with software and hardware developers, managers, marketing people. Pictures of offices, prototypes, etc. That's a story that's never been told and I'm afraid never will be told at any depth. I had high hopes for the Atari Corp. - Business is War book, but it seems like it'll never be released. It's getting harder and harder to write this book as many of the people that can tell the story have passed away or simply no longer remember the details.

I'd be prepared to pay some serious money for an in-depth book about Atari Corp. :-)

I fully agree. What you describe are exactly my feelings and my views.

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm

dbsys wrote:
dhedberg wrote:There's been several books and movies about Atari Inc., telling us the story, giving us lots of pictures and arts, but not a single book that gives us insight in Atari Corp. and the development of the ST, MegaST, STe, MegaSTe, TT030, Falcon030, Lynx, and Jaguar. I'd love to read more about Atari Corp. and the employees (their backgrounds, their views on the projects and the company, etc). Interviews with software and hardware developers, managers, marketing people. Pictures of offices, prototypes, etc. That's a story that's never been told and I'm afraid never will be told at any depth. I had high hopes for the Atari Corp. - Business is War book, but it seems like it'll never be released. It's getting harder and harder to write this book as many of the people that can tell the story have passed away or simply no longer remember the details.

I put this book together because I wanted more about Atari, including Atari Corp. too! I've talked to Richard Miller, Les Player, Ira Goldstein and Tim King among others about Atari Corp. and got a few nuggets of information from them, but it was a long time ago and macro details get hazy. Unless you could sit down with Shiraz Shivji himself, I think the details would still be general enough at this point. The amount of files Atari Corp. destroyed before they left 1196 was heart breaking :-( Hopefully we can read a more in depth book someday, but I'm not sure the level of detail you wish for will be possible.

I was lucky to get some photos from inside 1196, including a Christmas Party, and I have some other rare Atari Corp. images in the book as well. All I can say is, I've put a book together that isn't the same as anything already done, otherwise it wouldn't be worth my while or more importantly, yours. If you like Atari, both books will compliment what you already have and know.

Including: XL/XE/XEGS/ST/TT/STACY/PC/ATW/STE/PORTFOLIO/MSTE/ST BOOK/LYNX/FALCON/JAGUAR/PROTOTYPES/GAMES/DEMOS and more all in one book :-)

Karl
Karl

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Videl wrote:I put this book together because I wanted more about Atari, including Atari Corp. too! I've talked to Richard Miller, Les Player, Ira Goldstein and Tim King among others about Atari Corp. and got a few nuggets of information from them, but it was a long time ago and macro details get hazy. Unless you could sit down with Shiraz Shivji himself, I think the details would still be general enough at this point. The amount of files Atari Corp. destroyed before they left 1196 was heart breaking :-( Hopefully we can read a more in depth book someday, but I'm not sure the level of detail you wish for will be possible.

I was lucky to get some photos from inside 1196, including a Christmas Party, and I have some other rare Atari Corp. images in the book as well. All I can say is, I've put a book together that isn't the same as anything already done, otherwise it wouldn't be worth my while or more importantly, yours. If you like Atari, both books will compliment what you already have and know.

Including: XL/XE/XEGS/ST/TT/STACY/PC/ATW/STE/PORTFOLIO/MSTE/ST BOOK/LYNX/FALCON/JAGUAR/PROTOTYPES/GAMES/DEMOS and more all in one book :-)

Karl

Interesting! Thanks for these details.

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: New Book We Love Atari - Update!

Postby Videl » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:03 am

Hi guys,

Shipping update - all orders upto #10036 have shipped as of March 29th (with your free poster and sticker).

Volume 2 News - We are almost 50% of the way to printing Volume 2, so spread the word :-) Thanks to all of you who have supported my book so far, I can't wait to show you Volume 2.

Karl
Karl

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:43 am

Got mine in - not had a chance to look it over thoroughly yet, but I will on
my next day off. It looks nice though! :)

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:11 pm

@ DarkLord - Great news, glad it arrived safely. I really hope you enjoy it.

Volume 2 News: I am over the 50% mark of my goal to print V2, so if sales keep up it shouldn't be very long until it is available for sale.

Shipping update - all orders upto #10042 have shipped as of today (with your free poster and sticker).

Note: Stock is getting low on Volume One, so if anybody is looking for a First Edition copy, you might only have a few weeks to act.

Thank you again for all the e-mails of support, and of course all the customers from Atari-Forum.

Karl
Karl

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:04 pm

So I finished reading the book yesterday. Great read, while not being exhaustive in the history of Atari it gave a nice vertical slice of what was happening during the early years.

In the pros I'd definitely say: Very good text (which is what one would expect from a native English speaker :)), nice volume of ads and trivia bits, good presentation/book format.
In the cons: One of the few things I didn't like was the use of light-ish grey text on white background (a bit darker text would have been nice).

And that's pretty much it. Looking forward to volume 2!
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:25 pm

@ggn - your too kind :-) Thanks for the review, I will darken the text in Volume 2.

Volume 2 news: only 25 copies left of Volume One (First Edition), as soon as they are sold I will have covered costs enough to start the print run for Volume 2. They will come with a special limited 55mm Atari ST badge and vinyl sticker... and yes, all first editions of Volume 2 come with a one-off Atari poster.

Shipping update: all orders upto #10051 have shipped as of today (with your free poster and sticker).

Karl
www.zafinnbooks.com
www.atariexplorer.com
Karl

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:18 am

dbsys wrote:

Me too!
I stopped checking for updates on “business is war” as I got the feeling it just wasn’t happening. It’s sad to me that the 8 bit Atari gets all the love, so many people I work with in IT here in the USA that are in their early 40s or older don’t even know the ST etc ever existed...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 8GB HDD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation, PDA's and more!

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:32 pm

EmpireAndrew wrote:Me too!
I stopped checking for updates on “business is war” as I got the feeling it just wasn’t happening. It’s sad to me that the 8 bit Atari gets all the love, so many people I work with in IT here in the USA that are in their early 40s or older don’t even know the ST etc ever existed...

Everytime there is a TV programme or magazine article about the Apple Mac or IBM PC, you'd swear there was never any other platforms out there! They always skirt around the ST (and a lot of the time, the Amiga too), when it was in fact a very important part of computing history. It practically gave birth to most of the MIDI sequencer and arranger software still around to this day, put affordable DTP in the hands of thousands, played host to an entire video game re-birth from 1986 - 1990 (until those pesky game consoles took over... and the Amiga (again!)), provided the perfect home machine with ample power for most people, and was a very popular VT terminal solution. I could go on...

And I have done... I will make sure the ST (and Atari Corp) gets its place in the limelight and tell the story and show the world how great the ST (and its cousins) were.

We Love Atari Volume 2 - Summer Release - Only 23 copies of Volume One left to sell 8O

Karl
Karl

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Wed May 01, 2019 4:31 pm

The Darkforce! BBS is giving away one free copy gang:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22460&p=373475&hilit=we+love+atari+volume+1#p373475

Good luck! :)

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Sun May 05, 2019 11:34 am

@ DarkLord - Thank you for supporting my book, closing in fast on Volume Two :-)

Update:

Volume 2 news: Only 16 copies left of Volume One (First Edition), as soon as they are sold I will have covered enough costs to start the print run for Volume 2. They will come with a special limited 55mm Atari ST badge and vinyl sticker... A few of you asked to see the badges... here you go!

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/30518-badges1/

All first editions of Volume 2 come with a one-off Atari poster. Question, should we go with an 8-Bit theme or a 16-bit them for the poster (or dare I say it, 64-Bit!)?

Shipping Update #6

Shipping update: all orders upto #10056 have shipped as of today (with your free poster and sticker).
Karl

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun May 05, 2019 10:08 pm

You're very welcome!

Hmm, since Volume Two is supposedly covering the 16 bit era (right?), I'd
go with 16 bit for the poster... :)

Videl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Videl » Mon May 06, 2019 12:31 pm

Volume 2 covers 1984-1996

So we could have anything from 8 - 64 Bit, but I am leaning towards our friend in the 16-Bit corner too :-)
Karl

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”