[SOLD] Garage sale: Falcon 030 + various stuff to whatever offer

Do you need some hardware and/or software? Do you want to clear out the attic? Post your classified ads here. Please use the sub forum if you are posting links to items you've found on ebay.

Moderators: Mug UK, Adrenalin, Moderator Team

mooncactus
Atarian
Atarian

[SOLD] Garage sale: Falcon 030 + various stuff to whatever offer

Postby mooncactus » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:21 pm

Sorry long post. I decided I needed some room in my garage, so I registered to the forum to sell all my first-hand but crappy Atari stuff instead of throwing it to the bin :/

I am located in Montpellier, France so I guess I can send throughout Europe without too much S&H. Who am I: I used to be a low-profile Atari demomaker (see eg. the 3 Chaotic Motion screens in the Phaleon Megademo by our friends Next: http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... /index.htm), then a developer at Palmsource, and finally an old time blogger and maker (e.g. 3D printing since 2012 on http://www.tridimake.com). Huh enough on me.

To be clear, sure, I could sell the parts individually to make much more money out of the stuff, but, heck, I would have to spend time on it :D

I have an uncommon deal ;)

The easiest way to check the mess could be this google album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GQsTwHEVCTJmegD27 (cope, none of the 3D printers in the background are for sale). I cleaned nothing prior to taking pictures, so you get 25 years of dirt for free!

Falcon 030

Certainly, the most interesting part is a "recently dead" Falcon 030. Last time I checked, like 5 years ago, it worked fine but alas, this time it no more boots... It is not that crappy actually and given the high pitched noise I highly suspect that only the PSU might be gone. So it may be easy to fix with the appropriate parts (and possibly re-sell for quite a hefty price as I really was surprised how much these costs nowadays!!).
But I do not want to investigate or try and fix by myself. I never used it a lot but most of the screws are gone nonetheless. I see on an invoice that I had it upgraded with a 68882. The case is OK, the motherboard is really clean, the keyboard is a bit dirty, Yes, it has a few keys swapped with that of an older STF (maybe I found it was prettier at the time). It was one of the very first to be sold in France IIRC, I was on a waiting list at the time. Looks like 4MB RAM as stated on the original box I kept. The hard drive is a Seagate ST9077A (hence 64MB, not 80? -- not sure it works at all there might be some source code or other goodies on it).
Actually, my mindset is more like I would be selling it for the motherboard, or for parts.

Atari 520 ST

Also, I sell (or I will discard!) my former abused workhorse: a 520ST upgraded to 1MB RAM with military chips IIRC (true, golden ones!).
I just was able to boot to GEM and read a diskette (it looks like I lost or ditched my entire collection of demos & game: idem, 5 years ago we played Joust like we were back in time and I was able to show a few demo to my other half LOL). But... this one is outrageously hacked! I used to spend all my days coding demos and bringing it everywhere in France at the time, so it almost falls apart.
There is also a secondary floppy drive, where the ST has a direct power supply and a microswitch to force booting on it. The internal drives seems a bit flimsy, as the video connector, hence the sound in the video (I did not even bother, must be easy to fix)

Amiga 600 for parts?

I also even have an Amiga600 for parts (or would it boot? I would have to hack an appropriate power supply to know). This one, I do not even remember who gave it to me and when (...this is the only non-first hand stuff here).

Misc stuff

Finally some misc stuff: only one spongy but "working enough" Atari mouse, many joysticks... that I could also use as "foam" in the boxes ;)

I also have a quite rare external SCSI enclosure for the STF labeled "Golden Premium 105" (some FR re-branding at the time?!), that I remember using like a king with my ST (how fast I could load the assembler IDE compared to diskettes!!) and yes, it comes with the bulky & expensive Centronics cable. But, but... no SCSI drive in it (it eventually crashed), and it looks like some cables are cut (WTH?)... so no clue if it would work again. Bulky and heavy, maybe some of you might still be interested as it was a seriously expensive piece of hardware at the time!

So what? (hmm, wasn't this the name of an Atari demo?)

My "weird deal" is:
- whatever part or lot you are interested in, just give me your price here! The bigger the lot the happier I am.
- then I wait a bit more for others to chime in, if any. And then I select the highest offer, or the coolest person, or the closest to me, or the one I might have met at a demo or a coding party (that would be awesome!), whatever arbitrary reason :D
- we then agree on how to proceed. My guess is I would then list it on ebay as "buy it now" and tell when & provide the link here. Or you just trust me and send the money via Paypal before I sent the parcel (we will not do the other way, sorry!)
- oh, and I only sell if it is above the shipping cost plus a pack of beers! :-D
- better even, if someone comes near Montpellier, FR, he will get a free and working SC1425 color CRT monitor :D (yes, it still works!), and he'll probably get all the little stuff that might prove harder or time-consuming to sell ;) Say, I even have a brand new "1st Word Plus (French)" collector, that I probably never used. Dunno if the disks are still readable (the label no more sticks on teh disks), it comes with the booklet :D. The monitor might probably be too heavy for shipping otherwise, or it might die in the process (I cannot believe it still works!). Eh I just check and saw one sold 65+12€ on ebay actually, so feel free to ask as well (it lacks the front cover for the buttons, and it is dirty as the other stuff except the Falcon).

I can provide more pictures, and you can reach me at jeremie francois on gmail if you really need to PM me (better ask here may be!)

It would be a pity for me to discard all these good memories to the bin when some people still use/cherish the stuff, but still, I do not want to lose money sending it either, so I can ship far but you pay the shipping! Now, if I can make some real money out of it, well, I am OK with it.
I feel better if I can sell it here first than on ebay amha. I am already glad to see people still active and who want to use these old day computers :)
Last edited by mooncactus on Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sunaiac
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Garage sale: Falcon 030 + various stuff to whatever offer

Postby sunaiac » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:27 pm

Very interested in the falcon (already have 5 STs on the other hand) and I'm in France. Will contact you in French shortly.

Regards;
Falcon 030 - 4MB - 2GB CF - NetUSBee - VGA - TT Touch
Mega STE (2MB - No HDD ) - 1040 STE (1MB) - 520 STE (0.5MB) - 1040 STF (1MB) - 520 ST+ (1MB) - 260 ST (1MB)

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:21 pm

Just to get started here. I'll give you 200 EUR for the Falcon.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mpattonm » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:44 pm

withdrawn
Last edited by mpattonm on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mooncactus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mooncactus » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:38 pm

You are fast to reply guys! Now I have good news for you :)

@sunaiac made me test the power supply of the Falcon just once more, which was a good idea after all.
I re-seated the plugs and
* this time the machine did power up!
* I spent some time looking for it but I eventually found the Atari VGA adapter (I was lucky: it is written on it!)
* so the Falcon is working and the deal is becoming more interesting for everyone :)
* note: the up & right cursor keys did not react -- I did not take the risk to disassemble and clean them

I spent about one hour looking at super old stuff that I lost a few decades ago :D

:!: there is one special condition from me now: that he who buys it in the end sends me the "historical" content of the drive when he installs a way to transfer files to a modern computer (I mean, the music, graphics, and source code of the demo group!).... I lost two decades ago in a bad crash on a PC.
Actually, there is even a directory I prepared at the time which is waiting to be copied :) The hard drive gave me tons of errors on Linux when I tried to run it via an IDE adapter plugged on a USB3 (special atari formatting?). I did not insist as I initially thought it was dead, but the Falcons reads it well, I even compiled some assembler :D

I have added some photos and one video to the album with system info.
Link to the video https://photos.app.goo.gl/gwp7S8rVAmfHd83Q6

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:31 am

mooncactus wrote:Actually, there is even a directory I prepared at the time which is waiting to be copied :) The hard drive gave me tons of errors on Linux when I tried to run it via an IDE adapter plugged on a USB3 (special atari formatting?). I did not insist as I initially thought it was dead, but the Falcons reads it well, I even compiled some assembler :D

You may use Drive Image from PPera to create a image of your Falcon drive or transfer the files to your PC. before selling it away.
http://atari.8bitchip.info/drimus.php
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:56 am

Or contact Brume, he will preserve your stuff for free and he is just as fast as Marcer he says... lol
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

mooncactus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mooncactus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 am

wongck: thanks! I was away for longer than I can admit and bridges were made since last millenium...
BTW I got it now "it is not possible to detect correct CHS parameters via USB reader".
So I will unpack the falcon once again and give it a try, thanks again :)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:18 am

CHS should be written on the HDD itself. Good luck!!
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

atari1975
Atarian
Atarian

Postby atari1975 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:22 am

So... is the falcon still available? :roll:

mooncactus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mooncactus » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Sorry @atari1975, I did not see your question! Anyway, it was on hold, and I received the money today, so it is definitely sold now.
Thanks everyone for the tips & for keeping those nice machines up and running :)

sunaiac
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: [SOLD] Garage sale: Falcon 030 + various stuff to whatever offer

Postby sunaiac » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:23 am

I'm the happy buyer :)
Will see you guys in the 32 bit categories soon !
Falcon 030 - 4MB - 2GB CF - NetUSBee - VGA - TT Touch
Mega STE (2MB - No HDD ) - 1040 STE (1MB) - 520 STE (0.5MB) - 1040 STF (1MB) - 520 ST+ (1MB) - 260 ST (1MB)

Social Media

Return to “For sale / Wanted”