MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 - 3D printed

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: MiSTer - Case Universal v5.2 - 3D printed

Postby Newsdee » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:52 am

PLA printing is easier than I expected and a lot of fun. The one caveat is that sooner or later something will go wrong with your printer (since it's mechanical) and then one has to be a bit of a gearhead to fix it.

I just replaced the extruder on mine but it isn't working as well as before (which is still an improvement over not working at all). I suppose I need to look into how to do a "calibration" for it.

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 pm

As I've told many people who have shown interest in 3D printing (in it's current state):

- It is something of an entire discipline and art form unto it's own. Expect a learning cliff to become proficient.
- It is both immensely rewarding and insanely frustrating.

:)

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:54 am

remowilliams wrote:- It is something of an entire discipline and art form unto it's own. Expect a learning cliff to become proficient.

Yeah it is and I love it!
:cheers:

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:58 am

djmartins wrote:
remowilliams wrote:- It is something of an entire discipline and art form unto it's own. Expect a learning cliff to become proficient.

I blame NegSol... :lol: :lol:
At first I just wanted something to encase my nekid DE10-Nano board, then I saw NegSols design and ordered some parts to be printed. That's when I got hooked by the 3D-Printer bug. I started with an Ender3, figured start low & slow. NOW I can't upgrading the darn thing and fiddling with it LOL!

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:59 am

laserdisc wrote:
djmartins wrote:

At first I just wanted something to encase my nekid DE10-Nano board, then I saw NegSols design and ordered some parts to be printed. That's when I got hooked by the 3D-Printer bug. I started with an Ender3, figured start low & slow. NOW I can't stop upgrading the darn thing and fiddling with it LOL!

Poobah
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Poobah » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 am

laserdisc wrote:
djmartins wrote:

At first I just wanted something to encase my nekid DE10-Nano board, then I saw NegSols design and ordered some parts to be printed. That's when I got hooked by the 3D-Printer bug. I started with an Ender3, figured start low & slow. NOW I can't upgrading the darn thing and fiddling with it LOL!

And then you decide to build your own from scratch.....
MiSTer Expansion Boards, USA Seller: IO, SDRAM (32, 64, 128), RTC, USB, Audio Input & Accessories)
http://www.legacypixels.com/mister

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:09 am

Maybe you can't start a 3D Printer Addicts Anon org.
I can't because I am too busy printing stuff....

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:28 am

So my extruder broke and I got a replacememt, but surprise, the hole for the filament didn't align with the original extruder gear. And according to what I read online, that gear is a pain to replace.

I cobbled something together rising the extruder with a couple of coins, which was good enough for me to print a more permanent solution (a plastic base to hold the piece better).

It's still not extruding as well as it should, calibration test shows it's only outputing 45% of plastic. I need to find a way to connect the printer via USB so I can read the current settings and increase motor steps...

It's not very fun but at least I'm learning...

glaucon1984
Atari User
Atari User

Postby glaucon1984 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:21 pm

Hi,

I wanted to comment on a couple of things I don't like from all the cases I've seen so far:

- Very light and small. It's the same issue with Raspberry Pi, NES Classic and similar devices, the thing is very small, very light, it weights less than the cables attached to it, it feels more like a dongle than a device with its own entity and importance. Analogue does a good job here by adding a metal plate to their products giving them some weight, a device with the capabilities of the Mister can take up a bit more of space and weight and nobody would feel that it doesn't deserve it.

- Function over form. This is an advantage for many, but I think there is something to say about a nice design, like the last Atari console.

I've seen some designs, that probably many of you know, but I will put below, that could make the Mister a beautiful piece of retro gaming technology, (maybe somebody can be inspired by it?):

Source: http://androidarts.com/

I would pay good money for a case that looked like that, even if most of the stuff it's just decorative (like a fake floppy drive).

An advantage on a bigger case is also the option to reroute some ports internally, room for future layers, and maybe a big 8-12cm fan to cool the case with very low RPM and noise.

Sorry to hijack this thread with my suggestions, but this is so far the most "official" Mister case thread I've found. Also I'm useless designing so I secretly hope somebody will do it for me.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:31 am

glaucon1984 wrote:I wanted to comment on a couple of things I don't like from all the cases I've seen so far:

Yes, you are right in general.
It's not a problem to add some metal plate, As it's DIY, everyone decides himself if he wants more heavier device of lighter.
The cases you shown are definitely beautiful but all of them will require the moulding. There is no way you can print them at home with such slick looking. Unless some manufacturer would like to make such case, there is no way to get it.
Unfortunately MiSTer quantity is just small fraction of Raspberry Pi, so it's unlikely some manufacturer will be attracted by MiSTer.

This is why i think the more viable case solution is using existing one. For example Amiga 1200 case. There was KS/IGG campains for new cases and key caps, so it's a good opportunity to get a new case with good color and integrate MiSTer there.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:37 am

I'm also monitoring the RPi cases in hope there will be a good case with extra volume inside, so MiSTaer at least in basic config (without I/O and USB boards) will fit.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:30 am

I've been looking for something like this:

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/10806/neo-geo-x-build

that uses little extended ports to make the layout a little more polished than the development board.

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Doing a quickie search for something similar... I found this:
http://www.3d-caddata.com/3d_print_designs/view/320

I imported it into Cura (attached screenshot) but the individual pieces aren't segregated and I'll have to learn how to separate the individual parts. I'm currently at work but I couldn't wait to find my posting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:08 pm

laserdisc wrote:Doing a quickie search for something similar... I found this:
http://www.3d-caddata.com/3d_print_designs/view/320

It would be good if you would upload it somewhere without registration.

While model is definitely good, don't expect to print it as nice as on 3D rendering :) At least not at home.
It's more for 3D resin printing which is very expensive.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:19 pm

Kind offtopic, but couldn't pass the RPi X68000 case: https://sano.shop/en/products/detail/402585

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:06 pm

Sorgelig wrote:It would be good if you would upload it somewhere without registration.

While model is definitely good, don't expect to print it as nice as on 3D rendering :) At least not at home.
It's more for 3D resin printing which is very expensive.

It could be done with a lot of sanding and priming then painting, but would take considerable extra effort for sure.

Here's the STL available for download w/o reg.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1syoFJ4 ... sp=sharing

Sorgelig wrote:Kind offtopic, but couldn't pass the RPi X68000 case: https://sano.shop/en/products/detail/402585

OH COME ON SORGELIG!!! I promised myself not to spend money on "goodies" this month. :lol:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:42 am

laserdisc wrote:Here's the STL available for download w/o reg.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1syoFJ4 ... sp=sharing

thanks!

haricot42
Atarian
Atarian

Postby haricot42 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:45 pm

looking again at Arne Niklas Jansson blog ( androidarts.com) , this man designs rock.....

I will try to leave him an email, maybe he will be enthusiastic about the project ??

I use Autodesk Inventor software for my work. If I have a design, I will try to model it.

Return to “MiSTer”