Will try on my own tomorrow

JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: VISION 4.5a is out!

Postby JeanMars » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi,

just made some tests:

@eero: you're right, if it is a Falcon, AES popup usage is forced. However it is on purpose as regular Falcon AES version is 0x0330 and so VISION can't rely on appl_getinfo to know about popup features. I could remove this force but in this case, regular Falcon will lose AES popup support... Can you point me to the exact emutos file you are using? I tried on Hatari and it looks OK.
On Hatari, TOS 4.92 and ST-High resolution, help bubble display is correct (see attached picture); what is your configuration exactly?
In 4colors resolution, I agree this is buggy but honestly I won't fix it, this is too an exotic resolution to spend time on it...

@sashapont: On Aranym or Hatari 256 colors resolution mode, it works OK on my side. Does it happen only on Firebee? Send me vision.log to see if I see something wrong (make sure to have LoggingFlags = 1ff933f in vision.ini before starting VISION). Are you using "Save as..."? Please describe more your issue.

Cheers,
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sashapont
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby sashapont » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:22 am

JeanMars wrote:Hi,
@sashapont: On Aranym or Hatari 256 colors resolution mode, it works OK on my side. Does it happen only on Firebee? Send me vision.log to see if I see something wrong (make sure to have LoggingFlags = 1ff933f in vision.ini before starting VISION). Are you using "Save as..."? Please describe more your issue.

Cheers,
Jean

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/MAit/89dVLMJN7
Atari Falcon, Firebee

rudis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rudis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:53 pm

your image is saved in d:\ but you search in d:\development ??

JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JeanMars » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi sashapont,

yes looks like you are not looking in the folder where you saved the picture...
Also I guess you created the image from "New..." in file menu and newly image file is NEW.TIF.
TIF format is selected by VISION in this case when color mode is TrueColor (else IMG should be selected by VISION) and GIF format is not compatible with, I agree there should be some error message (there is one now but probably not in the version you're testing).
Please try again and make sure you're in 256c mode and post vision .log here (make sure to have LoggingFlags = 1ff933f in vision.ini before starting VISION).
If that helps, you can try VISION "nightly build" at http://vision.atari.org/download/temp/vision.zip, at least you should have an error message in TC mode for GIF saving.

Thanks,
Jean

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:15 pm

JeanMars wrote:@eero: you're right, if it is a Falcon, AES popup usage is forced. However it is on purpose as regular Falcon AES version is 0x0330 and so VISION can't rely on appl_getinfo to know about popup features. I could remove this force but in this case, regular Falcon will lose AES popup support...

According to SYSINFO, EmuTOS v0.9.10 reports AES version 1.4:

Code: Select all

TYPE           : FALCON030
PROCESSOR      : 68030
FREQUENCY      : 16 MHz
TOS VERSION    : 2.06
GEM VERSION    : 0.20
AES VERSION    : 1.40

So things will still work fine with TOS versions supporting higher AES versions, if you select popup type based on the available AES version (instead of on which type of machine Vision runs on).

JeanMars wrote:Can you point me to the exact emutos file you are using? I tried on Hatari and it looks OK.

On Falcon (and TT) you should be using 512k image. I was using the latest release, v0.9.10.

While most of the Vision works fine with EmuTOS, the problem is that popup menus don't work on Falcon (on other machines they do). See above.

JeanMars wrote:On Hatari, TOS 4.92 and ST-High resolution, help bubble display is correct (see attached picture); what is your configuration exactly?

They look OK in monochrome / ST-high with TOS v4, but NOT with TOS v1, v2 or v3.

JeanMars wrote:In 4colors resolution, I agree this is buggy but honestly I won't fix it, this is too an exotic resolution to spend time on it...

I was only suggesting adding a dialog at start which says that 4-color is not a supported resolution and e.g. quitting.
Last edited by Eero Tamminen on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JeanMars » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi Eero,

appl_getinfo is only available on TOS > 4.00; for regular Falcon (I mean running original TOS) version is 3.30. So there is a special case on this because VISION knows it features popups. What I can do is to test against this version (3.30) for Falcon to not use AES popups in your case.

For monochrome, can you please make a screenshot? That may help me understand where the problem is.

OK for 4color resolutions, I can add a warning message to let user decide if he wants to continue or not, as if icon is the only issue, he can use other means (meu, keybooard and help bubbles).

Thanks for reporting these issues, I'll post a message here when a version is ready to be tested.
Jean

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:49 pm

Why do you need appl_getinfo()? appl_init() should already tell you the AES version, in all TOS versions.

(Besides, AFAIK all TOS functions return the function number if TOS didn't recognize the function. I assume the same applies also to AES functions like appl_getinfo(). If yes, you could also check its return value and perhaps assume AES to be too old if the call returns something else than success value.)

Screenshot of the monochrome problem:
grab0001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gstoll
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gstoll » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:01 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:(Besides, AFAIK all TOS functions return the function number if TOS didn't recognize the function. I assume the same applies also to AES functions like appl_getinfo().

If you call a AES function which is not present, then came a Alert box with the function number.

If you want test for appl_getinfo you can use this:
https://freemint.github.io/tos.hyp/en/a ... l_xgetinfo

For the function "is_magic" use this: https://freemint.github.io/tos.hyp/en/magic_test.html

JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JeanMars » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi,

If you want test for appl_getinfo you can use this:
https://freemint.github.io/tos.hyp/en/a ... l_xgetinfo

Problem with this routine is that it won't return support for a classic Falcon as AES is 3.30.
I have added test for AES version >= 3.30 if Falcon is detected.
Please test it at: http://vision.atari.org/download/temp/vision.zip

I also added a warning message for 4color modes.

Thanks for the screenshot in monochrome, I'll have a look.

Let me know if version above is better for you.
Cheers,
Jean

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:50 pm

JeanMars wrote:Problem with this routine is that it won't return support for a classic Falcon as AES is 3.30.
I have added test for AES version >= 3.30 if Falcon is detected.
Please test it at: http://vision.atari.org/download/temp/vision.zip

I also added a warning message for 4color modes.

Popup menus work now also with EmuTOS and the warning looks good!

However, after testing with Hatari VDI mode, I noticed that the toolbar icon issue isn't related to the number of colors, but resolution. Vision seems to be using wrong icons in 2-color mode when screen height is <400 pixels. If 2-color mode screen height is >= 400 pixels, icons look fine. See the screenshots:
vision-stmed.png
vision-vdi-2planes.png

Could you change 16-color icons to be used only when screen supports 16 or more colors?

JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JeanMars » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:40 am

Hi Eero,

then something should be wrong in VISIONB.RSC; I'll have a look. Thanks for reporting.

Cheers,
Jean

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:43 am

Just another note: i currently tried some tiff images. Vision does not support all formats (which is ok, the big libtiff does not support everything, either), but when it encounters something unsupported, it seems to just send the file to the viewer, which is imho not what the user expects.

Also, there seem to be problems with tiled images. You can find test images from libtiff here (the original link from the libtiff homepage seems to be dead, but the images are the same). The cramps-tile.tif is not displayed correctly in vision.

And another thing: the multitos drag&drop protocol does not seem to work. I'm seeing routines in vision which should handle it, but it does not work, i always get a timeout from the desktop when dragging something to visions windows. I'm not sure what header files you use, but you should be aware that the definitions SIGPIPE, SIG_IGN etc. from Pure-C headers are not the one MiNT expects, those are meant for Pure-C's signal() function, but not for Psignal().

JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JeanMars » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi Thorsten,

when it encounters something unsupported, it seems to just send the file to the viewer, which is imho not what the user expects.

It is intended to send the file to hex viewer only when file format is unknown, there's probably a bug there I'll have a look. Thanks for notifying.

And another thing: the multitos drag&drop protocol does not seem to work. I'm seeing routines in vision which should handle it, but it does not work, i always get a timeout from the desktop when dragging something to visions windows. I'm not sure what header files you use, but you should be aware that the definitions SIGPIPE, SIG_IGN etc. from Pure-C headers are not the one MiNT expects, those are meant for Pure-C's signal() function, but not for Psignal().

I just tried on Mint under Aranym, I drag&drop some image files to image browser window and they are open in new windows.
What action are you doing exactly?
BTW, I didn't even know that this was possible :-) To me, it was just to open files when they are drag&drop to executable's icon.

Cheers,
Jean

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:03 pm

JeanMars wrote:To me, it was just to open files when they are drag&drop to executable's icon.

Is that just using main() argv and argc ?
why need to use Psignals for that?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:32 pm

@JeanMars: i was dragging some file to the toolbox window. If you explicitly only want to support image windows, the you should at least send an negative acknowledge, so the sender does not have to wait for the timeout. Dragging to the icon is something different, in that case the desktop will send a VA_START message if the app is already running.

@wongck: Psignal() is needed during the protocol, to ignore the SIGPIPE signal that might otherwise kill your program. And drag&drop on multitos is a separate protocol, that has nothing to do with main(). Its just a safe way of receiving arguments, without having to read someone else memory.

JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JeanMars » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:52 am

I don't remember using any Psignal in Vision, and i'm surprised ir (dragging a file to a vision's window) works on my side. Need to have a.deeper look, in the meantime if you can send me vision.log file (please set all logging bits in LoggingFlags) that would help

Cheer,
Jean

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:00 am

Psignal is used in tools\dragdrop.c. Log-File is attached (from version 4.6a1, the one compiled from the sources you attached in the other thread)

Screenshot_20190925_105608.png

JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JeanMars » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 am

Hi Thorsten,

thanks for the log.
Actually dragdrop.c is part of TOOLS folder but it not listed in VISION.PRJ :-) I have added this file some time ago with probably in mind the idea to use it at some point but I never did.

I don't see this issue on my side as I'm using Thing! desktop which uses a different protocol apparently when it comes to drag&drop to an application window (probably WM_VASTART (which is supported) but need to check).

I have to have a look at this protocol to see how I can implement it. At least I can add relevant code to report a negative acknowledgment (https://freemint.github.io/tos.hyp/en/p ... #ddlisting).

OL
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby OL » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Hello Jean

you can use this small library for dragdrop use.
dragdrop.zip

Olivier

JeanMars wrote:Hi Thorsten,

thanks for the log.
Actually dragdrop.c is part of TOOLS folder but it not listed in VISION.PRJ :-) I have added this file some time ago with probably in mind the idea to use it at some point but I never did.

I don't see this issue on my side as I'm using Thing! desktop which uses a different protocol apparently when it comes to drag&drop to an application window (probably WM_VASTART (which is supported) but need to check).

I have to have a look at this protocol to see how I can implement it. At least I can add relevant code to report a negative acknowledgment (https://freemint.github.io/tos.hyp/en/p ... #ddlisting).
OL

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:38 pm

OL wrote:you can use this small library for dragdrop use.

That's about the same he already has as source in the archive, but which is not active yet. And it has the same problem: it uses Pure-C's definitions of SIGPIPE and SIG_IGN, which is wrong for Psignal()

JeanMars
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JeanMars » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi Thorsten,

I have added basic support on AP_DRAGDROP to return this protocol is unsupported to avoid timeout.
Can you please give it a try as I'm not sure how to test that.
Here as usual: http://vision.atari.org/download/temp/vision.zip

If someone has official dragdrop source for PureC, I can try to add support sometime in the future.

Thanks,
Jean

OL
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby OL » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:27 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:
OL wrote:you can use this small library for dragdrop use.

That's about the same he already has as source in the archive, but which is not active yet. And it has the same problem: it uses Pure-C's definitions of SIGPIPE and SIG_IGN, which is wrong for Psignal()

You want to said SIG_IGN has wrong definition in PureC TOS.H or we should not do Psignal() ? I use this lib with GCC and PureC and it not failed as I can see, but in fact for PureC I not use the toslib from PureC but the replacement from Philipp Donze for around 15 years.
OL

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:01 am

The definitions in Pure-C are for its library function signal():

#define SIG_IGN (sigfunc_t)-2L

But MiNT uses

#define SIG_IGN ((__sighandler_t) 1L)

Maybe they are defined to the correct value somewhere else in your project (portab.h?), because Pure-C's signal() does not even know about SIGPIPE

>I not use the toslib from PureC but the replacement from Philipp Donze for around 15 years.

That might also explain it ;)

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:18 pm

@Jean: found another problem: the attached image is displayed with wrong colors, using the internal module

Social Media

Return to “Applications”