[pics] Homebrew Mega STe case

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

[pics] Homebrew Mega STe case

Postby spiny » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi All,

I aquired a Mega Ste recently, but it was missing several components, incluing the case itself. I've got it working OK now, so it needs a box to put it in. These pics show the progress so far, it's not finished and its not neat or tidy, but it will hopefully protect the board from me dropping things on it :)

To start, some sheet metal, this has been kicking about in my garage for years, which is why its rusty.

I missed the shot of the sides being bent up, but this is the front panel being made - I didn't have enough sheet to make it from one piece

tacking the front in place

front welded on and trimmed

keyed for paint with a flap disk on my grinder

base too

some primer to keep it looking tidy for now. I'll be adding car body filler to hide the small gaps later

the inside needs an insulation layer, filing cabinet hangers are usefull for this :)

glued in place

trial fit of MSTe

cutting openings for keyboard etc

trial fit again - note, I haven't cut the cartridge port as I don't have any.

floppy mount

supports welded internally

all in place and working.

Still to do:

I need to trim the back of the case to match the depth of the motherboard
I need to get more metal to make a top for the case
I need to make supports to the lid can have a monitor on it without bending
I need to paint it properly
and many other refinements :)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: [pics] Homebrew Mega STe case

Postby joska » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:00 pm

The english and their sheds :) I love it.

And the case looks very promising too.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:55 am

An artisan and ingenious solution. It is taking a very correct aspect, I would say that even comparable with the sobriety of the MKX C-Lab.
Congratulations.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

mouse_master
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby mouse_master » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:03 am

I know some of the origin story of that motherboard...... Well, a group of 100 or so Mega STe motherboards.

They came from Toad Computers in the USA. Before they were at Toad, Atari Corp had shipped the full systems from a warehouse in California to a company to destroy them. This company crushed the cases, but sold the motherboards. I believe that B&C obtained the TT motherboards.

I obtained them from Toad in late March of 98, and went thru testing all of them (hence the date written on the VME shield/shelf in sharpie) and slowly sold the stockpile of them off.

Can you share what all the ills of the board were? Just curious.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:03 am

mouse_master wrote:I know some of the origin story of that motherboard...... Well, a group of 100 or so Mega STe motherboards.

They came from Toad Computers in the USA. Before they were at Toad, Atari Corp had shipped the full systems from a warehouse in California to a company to destroy them. This company crushed the cases, but sold the motherboards. I believe that B&C obtained the TT motherboards.

I obtained them from Toad in late March of 98, and went thru testing all of them (hence the date written on the VME shield/shelf in sharpie) and slowly sold the stockpile of them off.

Can you share what all the ills of the board were? Just curious.

no way!? brilliant to know the history :)

there wasn't much wrong with it - I've had to build a power supply as it was missing, and the reset switch is broken off, but works OK without it for now.

it needed RAM and TOS chips - I've put 2.06 in it, which is working well. I needed to jumper the hard drive connector as that the board is also missing, but this has allowed me to use the ASCI port.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:43 am

mouse_master wrote:Before they were at Toad, Atari Corp had shipped the full systems from a warehouse in California to a company to destroy them.

8O Wow. Any idea why Atari needed to write their stock off like that rather than just sell them off cheaply?

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:47 pm

junosix wrote:Any idea why Atari needed to write their stock off like that rather than just sell them off cheaply?

It would have been around 1998, 2nd hand market for Atari computers would have been at an all time low, they had no commercial value?

mouse_master

Postby mouse_master » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:21 pm

It has been way too long to remember how I tested these boards, I know at a minimum that the Mega STe DIAG cart and plugs were used on each, and from there they were either GOOD, BAD, or ? (questionable).

I want to say 2/3 of the boards I received had TOS, 2.05 US, not sure why more did not, none had 2.06. RAM was missing though. Kind of odd, but I got a large collection of RAM from someone else at that time. Many had broken reset buttons. All boards came in large anti static bags, which was odd, unsure if Toad did that or the scrapper in California.

As for why they were scrapped, well, squeeze more value out of them. Not sure how California's taxes work, but with the 'destruction' of the stock, Atari Corp could write off the full MSRP of those system as a loss, rather than taking a pittance of cash from whatever Atari dealer might buy the stock.

I would guess that the stock had some sort of aging attached to it, so, unlike what was done with other Atari stock, (dumping tractor trailer loads to B&C and Best), it was more beneficial to the finances to have it destroyed.

I know that I was able to get 3 free new SC1224s from Atari, drop shipped, I think in 1997. My guess is that the stock was so old, it had no value to pay a scrapper (this is before electronics recycling was easy, Atari probably had to pay to scrap the Mega STe's and TTs) to destroy it, could not sell it, so best to just give it away and get the items off the balance sheet and clear the warehouses.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Ah! That all makes sense. Very interesting, thanks :)

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”