General Upgrade Advice

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Boinger
Atarian
Atarian

General Upgrade Advice

Postby Boinger » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi,

Recently got an old STE up and running thanks to Greenious's advice.

Now I get the fun job of upgrading the system.

1) The floppy drive is totally knackered, literally dropping apart so I'm looking at a Gotek drive. Now I have looked on eBay and seen several for sale at wide ranging prices, is there anything specific I should be looking at?
2) TOS - is it best to upgrade it to the latest version? The one in the system at the moment is the Rainbow TOS version.
3) Is it worth upgrading to 4mb Ram as I haven't seen many games etc needing that much memory.
4) Screws - Mine had no case screws in it, some on the inside were also missing. What sizes do i need?
5) Finally - how easy is it to retrobrite the case as this is a very badly tanned STE. Anymore tanning and it would be on a reality tv show!

Many thanks

Lee

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: General Upgrade Advice

Postby joska » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:03 pm

Boinger wrote:1) The floppy drive is totally knackered, literally dropping apart so I'm looking at a Gotek drive. Now I have looked on eBay and seen several for sale at wide ranging prices, is there anything specific I should be looking at?

Yes, you need to update the Gotek's firmware with HxC or FlashFloppy. And most importantly - please don't molest the STE case by cutting it to fit the Gotek.

Boinger wrote:2) TOS - is it best to upgrade it to the latest version? The one in the system at the moment is the Rainbow TOS version.

You have 1.06 or 1.62, both are fine for playing games and watch demos.

Boinger wrote:3) Is it worth upgrading to 4mb Ram as I haven't seen many games etc needing that much memory.

1Mb should be enough for all games I believe.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:01 am

What Joska said.

Upgrading to TOS2.06 and 4mb ram is really only beneficial if you get a HDD.

4 - check the assembly section of the ste field service manual over at https://www.dev-docs.org/docs/ it has all screws and where they go listed.

5 - There's several threads about it, one interesting is viewtopic.php?f=15&t=32240
search the forum for "yellowing" or "retrobrite" and you'll find more.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:58 am

My STE's have very brittle cases, from what I've read about the peroxide treatment this can potentially make it even worse. So personally I would stay away from retr0brighting.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

theimann
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby theimann » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:14 pm

The peroxide treatment worked well for one of my STs, didn't work well for two other ones, they turned out very spotty.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”