All about ST/STE demos

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

elianda
Atarian
Atarian

TT030 Demos?

Postby elianda » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:32 am

Hello,

lately I saved a TT030 from the trash at the university.
Since that I tried to get some demos running but it seems that about 95% does not work. In most cases it crashes or the Screen just turns black and then it crashes...

So is there a list or so of TT compatible or even TT demos?
Darkness and Oddstuff runs so far.

Ciao...
...Micha

Frank
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Frank » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:26 am

Yeah it's not 100% st compatible.

I haven't tried a lot of stuff mine it but anything packed makes it fall over.

Cheers for saving it from the trash. Binning a TT is sacrelidge :/
Pretty good save :)

Frank
People of the world can be classified as 10 groups. Those that understand binary and those that don't ;)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:42 am

Could be a multitude of reasons why the programs don't work .. a lot of demos (early ones) wouldn't work with 4MB as they addressed the screen at the 512K direct memory address ($78000) and other such short-cuts.

As for "demos written for the TT030" .. unless some groups released, them, I'm not sure any existed. I've seen source code somewhere that enabled the 16Mhz option when a MegaSTE was used - but that was only for the depack routines!
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

NiceGuyUK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: TT030 Demos

Postby NiceGuyUK » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:42 am

I just wished I lived near a university that had TT030's going spare. Still trying to salvage a Falcon I got from eBay....

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Re: TT030 Demos?

Postby thothy » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:53 am

elianda wrote:So is there a list or so of TT compatible or even TT demos?
Darkness and Oddstuff runs so far.

I remember a "Starwars" demo that was written for the TT. I once tried to run it on my Falcon and one could see the Millenium Falcon flying over the screen, but it crashed very soon. So this is probably one of the only demos that exclusively runs on the TT...

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:32 pm

AFAIK Grotesque 030 By Omega will work on a TT. And I hacked crapman so the file version works on a TT (and 1 meg machines).

Nyh

ICS

TT Demos

Postby ICS » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:11 pm

There are a few demos for TT:

Grotesque (the one called OMEGAFIN.PRG)
TT Wars (that's probably the Star Wars one)

And several smaller screens and stuff:
Scape, Gouraud.prg,
Yet Another Bytero, Glasstro and Orion Beta from TSCC
Diag TT (from Atari)
ADEBUG 3D TT Demo from Brainstorm
Shiny

Don't remember any others, but there could be more.

The Flying Egg
Atarian
Atarian

Postby The Flying Egg » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:53 pm

Nyh wrote:AFAIK Grotesque 030 By Omega will work on a TT. And I hacked crapman so the file version works on a TT (and 1 meg machines).

Nyh

Actually, when I coded the Grotesque demo... It worked quite well on a TT030... I coded it specificly to work on STE and TT030 as I had both of the machines myself.
I did have some mail conversation with some guy some years ago, who hacked it so it worked on a Falcon 030... Maybe it was this version you hacked back?
But still, the original version works perfectly on a TT030.

I do have a TT030 (with the sources for the Grotesque demo on it). Havn't started it in a lot of years though. Don't event think I got a working mose for it...

I did love the Motorola 68030 CPU... Some of the stuff you could use the pipeline and cache for on that CPU have still not been seen on any other CPU... Like coding a program so some of the commands actually got executed during the time that another command was being processed, so it actually looke like one of the commands took 0 clockcykles!
Fun and scary at the same time!

Social Media

Return to “Demos - General”