Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

matej
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

New TT + FALCON/ST PC-like case.

Postby matej » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:34 am

Hello friends.
So I have my TT motherboard (no case, no psu) at home. I wrote to one case company. About custom case (I dont have original TT case or PC bigtower). They wrote back -that they can help me with case (professional PC like case with TT ports and screw holes). Another small retro company can do Atx tt power supply. So my question is. Are here 18 TT fans which going to buy professional PC-like TT case? (for future, for music studio, for replacement broken original one). I will take 2... They can make only min. 20... Price will be like 100-150euro...

From their portfolio.
Last edited by matej on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: New TT PC-like case.

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:21 am

You can also announce it in the facebook group "Atari TT users":

https://www.facebook.com/groups/366559677045573/
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:48 am

If this project could be extended to allow for other port configurations (Falcon), I bet even more people could be interested.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:00 am

Will it have the same internal dimensions as the original TT case? I.e. will a TT mainboard with original PSU, Thunder, Storm, Lightning VME and a VME graphics card fit? (All these components fit into the original case.)

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 am

shoggoth wrote:If this project could be extended to allow for other port configurations (Falcon), I bet even more people could be interested.

Your opinion seems logical to me, even extending it to the ST with space for all kinds of enlargements (of the latter I think there was a particular attempt to build new cases and the author of the initiative was scammed by the company).

matej

Postby matej » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:49 am

So holes for:
TT
STFM
STE
Falcon
too???
It will be same size + few cm extra size (for ram cards, usb cards, vga cards and future turbocards....

And different backplates Falcon, STFM, STE, TT??? (probably 3D printed or cnc - what will be lower price...
So it will be modular like lego...

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:08 pm

matej wrote:So holes for:
TT
STFM
STE
Falcon
too???
It will be same size + few cm extra size (for ram cards, usb cards, vga cards and future turbocards....

And different backplates Falcon, STFM, STE, TT??? (probably 3D printed or cnc - what will be lower price...
So it will be modular like lego...

No need to be ironic, perhaps that is why there is currently no production of new cases.
I think we all try to help, even if it's not always possible. But you are right, your question is direct and it is not convenient to digress with other alternatives (although they could be studied):

You need TT users willing to spend 100-150 € in a box.
I have participated with two notes:
- You can extend your request in the facebook user group TT.
- I inform you of a similar initiative (for ST) that ended with a scam.
They are just data, do what you want with them.

Greetings.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: New ST/TT/FALCON PC-like case.

Postby mikro » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Atarieterno, I can assure you Matej wasn't ironic, it's his regular communication... format. ;)

I'd strongly suggest to start with the TT cases and *if* that goes well, focus on the other variants.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:43 pm

mikro wrote:Atarieterno, I can assure you Matej wasn't ironic, it's his regular communication... format. ;)

I'd strongly suggest to start with the TT cases and *if* that goes well, focus on the other variants.

Group by "families" I do not think it is so problematic, nor do you need a LEGO; I think that TT and Mega STe could have a removable back piece (similar to those used by cloned PCs for their motherboard´s rear connectors) of the same thickness as the rest of the case.
STf, STfm, STe and Falcon could have their respective back piece. And of course provide all the cases with extra space, for extensions and reinforcements (MonSTer type, eXxos, CT60, SuperVidel, VME, etc).
The real challenge is to find 20 TT users willing to pay in advance this project.

matej

Postby matej » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Modular like lego... Means that there will be one case. Holes are cheap to do (few cents) so like on PC where you have Atx and mAtx holes in one case multicase can be done.
Problem will be connector plate. You know that metal plate which is packed with every PC motherboard inside box. So I mean one type for TT another type for STFM another Falcon etc...
Basically it will be same size just connector holes will be different.
I will start with TT as I need it... Will add STFM holes. Falcon holes (will clean cases so will take dimensions).
Problem with falcon / stfm / ste going to be mouse in front, midi ports and cartridge... But extra holes can be done. As Mikro said. First I will do best case for TT and will add some extra holes to be more universal...

So that was like lego = modular = customable with using 3 types of connector metal plates...

Sorry for grammar guys. Ich bin besser in Deutsch...
I want to have extra CM (so no pizza box, more like desktop) for future expansion cards/turbo card/graphics card.
2x 3"5 (gotek or fdd and scsi2sd or hdd and 1x 5"25 (cd rom or another hdd via 5"25 to 3"5 via ide interface).
Also holes for atx and standard psu... Maybe holes for 1x PC fan will be nice too. To keep it cool. Todays FANs are more silent and with amazing LEDs...

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: New TT + FALCON/ST PC-like case.

Postby wongck » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 pm

while we are going the lego/modular style..... may I thrown in the CTPCI extension?
It may be too much.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Not wanting to be the one to throw a wrench into a project...

The TT/MSTE got similar dimensions and could probably share a case. But the ST/STE/F030 have different dimensions and should probably be considered a project of it's own.

Ofcourse, for any case to be really interesting, a well thought out case with room for expansions/HDD etc is probably necessary.

Imho, I kinda like the TT/MSTE case as it is. As for ST/STE/F030, I am concerned about the keyboard/mouse solution coming with a new case, without a decent external keyboard(and indirectly mouse) solution I doubt there will be many takers.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:22 pm

I would love to see a new case for the falcon, that could be used like a tower or desktop. For the keyboard and mouse a effiel solution could bought as an extra if this became a community backed project. I really need to replace an old pc at case that I have my falcon in at the moment that was damaged in a house move. I've even looked at amiga cases but there would be to much cutting and cable extensions, I would prefer a case designed for the job .

matej

Postby matej » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:55 am

Mouse+key+data ->3"5 position Cosmos Ex???
Will work on TT version first. I have PC old acrylic case for prototype. Will take dimensions from it.
CTpci -> when TT will be done I will add holes for Falcon too and on end STE/STFM...Than I will do people list and when there will be 20 will send files to that company...
Or travel there (its close to me).

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:37 am

Sounds good, if I can re house my Falcon, cd drive and hard drive in a nice new case that can be used as a tower or desktop count me in, ill buy one.

Just a thought, what about the company that made the Firebee case, do you think they could make a custom case for the rest off the Atari line ?

matej

Postby matej » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:44 pm

No its well known European PC case manufacturer...

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:02 pm

Hello all, is there any further updates on this. Now that I am settled I would love to restore the Falcon and the first thing on the shopping list would be a new case.

matej

Postby matej » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Will take dimensions from my acrylic PC tower this week...

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby KLund1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Suggestion for back plane to help keep costs down.
On the inside of the back plane, have molded stencils of the holes for TT or MSTE with a center divot. We can drill the holes we need ourselves. The correct drill bit sizes could be molded in, as well as the model (TT, MSTE) that hole would be for. We all already know what each port is for so I do not think there would be a need to have outside case icons or labels over/under the ports.
This method would be very helpful for 520/1040ST/f/m/E/Falcon range too. As mentioned above, I personally do not think there is a one case that fits all. But two might work.
Also perhaps setting up a small KickStarter might help make this more legitimate for all wanting to be involved?
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 am

All sounds good to me, what ever is needed to make this happen, count me in for one. The black finish looks good as well.

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Very interested too...I have a Falcon030/060 and CTPCI, so this may not be possible to fit in?

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mrbombermillzy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Just a thought, but I actually have my MSTE/TTs in their original cases and really dont have a problem with the case at all.

However, (as can be seen by the above requests) more people seem to have been dissapointed that Atari put the Falcon in an old ST case, so would probably prefer that re housed. I imagine ST owners too as it will help for expansion room. Not so sure about an already made (by Atari) TT or MSTE case. IMHO they arent bad at all, so why change them?

For the STE/F030 a good place to look for implementation ideas is the aforementioned Eifel tower and the DDD case.

Just sayin'! ;)

I dont mean to put a spoiler on your original idea, its just I do believe that the STE/F030 would work out more popular for you, if quantities are what you are after.

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby KLund1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 pm

mrbombermillzy makes a good point. I also do like the TT/MSTE case as is. But re-casing ST/F030 makes some sense to me.
But i have no idea what would be a good design. The keyboard seems to be the issue with me. 2 cases? CPU & Keyboard? Then we are back to TT/MSTE case for ST/F030?
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:00 pm

For me when I originally got my Falcon it was a parts lot, it was a working motherboard and the bottom of a case and the keyboard, nothing else. So I used an old AT PC case and got everything to fit.

It was never the neatest off jobs but it worked, it housed everything I had for the Falcon at the time, but as I said above the case has been damaged, so I really hope this case can be made to give the Falcon a new home.

And off course treat it to some of the new add-ons that are out now that I had missed.

harveymush
Atari User
Atari User

Postby harveymush » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:07 pm

For me I would like to see a tower case to house everything including DVD drive etc, with the rear ports in place and hope fully extensions for the cartridge port and midi etc. For the keyboard I plan to use one of the USB or ps2 keyboard and mouse adapters. The idea being if it works I hopefully use a KVM switched to share screen keyboard and mouse with my pc

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”