Computer crime in Scotland, 1996

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Zippy
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Computer crime in Scotland, 1996

Postby Zippy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:38 am

It's not strictly Atari related but I thought you guys might be interested in seeing this just for the nostalgia. :)

I was clearing out some VHS tapes and found this old "Computer hardware crime" TV documentary shown here in 1996.

The guys at the Barras market in Glasgow who were involved in the ST/Amiga scene had switched to the PC by that time, but in the section at the Barras from around 18 mins you can see "The President" (mentioned on the early Medway Boys disks), that was the guy who originally put me in touch with the Medway Boys in the late 80's.

Download link is here:
https://down.uploadfiles.io/get/6m095

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: Computer crime in Scotland, 1996

Postby spiny » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:00 pm

grabbed it :)

going to have to watch it at home where it's quiet though, otherwise i'll need subtitles :D

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Zippy wrote:It's not strictly Atari related but I thought you guys might be interested in seeing this just for the nostalgia. :)

I was clearing out some VHS tapes and found this old "Computer hardware crime" TV documentary shown here in 1996.

The guys at the Barras market in Glasgow who were involved in the ST/Amiga scene had switched to the PC by that time, but in the section at the Barras from around 18 mins you can see "The President" (mentioned on the early Medway Boys disks), that was the guy who originally put me in touch with the Medway Boys in the late 80's.

Download link is here:
https://down.uploadfiles.io/get/6m095

No Iain and Peter? :)

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:30 pm

Very interesting time capsule, I was unaware of such big raids on office blocks to collect SIMMs at all.

The rest is more of a sidestory....thanks for posting this.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:01 pm

That was a nice trip down (if you'll excuse the pun) 'memory' lane :)

When I attended college for my lowly HND a few years beforehand in Deeside, the college brought in a whole new suite of PCs for several computer rooms. The college was broken into in the summer months and all of the new machines were stripped of their components and dumped.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mlynn1974 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:01 am

Thanks for that Zippy. Great to see The Barras again.

No Iain and Peter?

Peter was a gentleman. I sold about 350 DSDD disks to him in 1997 for £60 as I had copied them to ZIP disks. I have no idea what he did with them at that stage.

There was another documentary presented by Dominik Diamond on STV in 1992\1993 about software piracy.
It was Amiga biased but the interviews were clearly dramatised with actors. It also has an interview with David Jones from DMA Design explaining the effects piracy has on the industry. I'm sure it was on YouTube but I can't find it now. Jane Franchi is like Louis Theroux compared to Dominik Diamond!

Was The President upstairs in the ST days? Behind Roger Price Computing. His mate had a bike and they used Synchro Express a lot.
Most of the stalls didn't have names and my Amiga owning mates went to the third floor Amiga place. Stuart?

For those who have never been to The Barras, most of the buildings look exactly like derelict buildings in Doom. If you go there today there are usually some old guys sitting around 1 bar electric fires saying how good it was in the days of mass software piracy.
Last edited by mlynn1974 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:43 pm

Maybe a generic description of the location and what sort of market/meetings took place there mihgt be interesting to read. Maybe a fresh thread?
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:43 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:Maybe a generic description of the location and what sort of market/meetings took place there mihgt be interesting to read. Maybe a fresh thread?

That market was frequented by several Atari people. The PB disk mag team for one :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Frank B wrote:
simonsunnyboy wrote:Maybe a generic description of the location and what sort of market/meetings took place there mihgt be interesting to read. Maybe a fresh thread?

That market was frequented by several Atari people. The PB disk mag team for one :)

There's a name from the past. Are you still in touch with Agrajag (?) from PB?

I've not seen him since the Bradford party :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:10 am

Mug UK wrote:
Frank B wrote:

There's a name from the past. Are you still in touch with Agrajag (?) from PB?

I've not seen him since the Bradford party :)

Yes I am. He is on the facebook ST demo group. :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:22 am

Nice one. I remember sending the latest issues of PB that I got from him up to Floppyshop (as trades) and them having the print it as Pure Bo***ks Disk Magazine in their catalogue :)

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:42 am

He's on here but I don't know how active he is.

Zippy

Postby Zippy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:57 am

Frank B wrote:No Iain and Peter? :)

Were they at the Barras? I don't recall those names, but my memory is getting as dodgy as the stuff that went on at the Barras. :)

I'd never seen that PB disk mag either, strange that I never knew those guys considering the amount of time I spent hanging around at the Barras. Having a look at all the PB stuff now though.

mlynn1974 wrote:Was The President upstairs in the ST days? Behind Roger Price Computing

The President originally wasn't in that building at all, but was upstairs (1 up) in the building opposite the end of Gibson Street, to the right of "Pearsons" you see in the video. Later he moved into the "Marketland" building opposite Pearsons, on the ground floor.

Roger Price and most of the other pirates were up those stairs they show in the video, Roger Price to the right and the others to the left or up on the top floor.

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:43 am

Zippy wrote:
Frank B wrote:No Iain and Peter? :)

Were they at the Barras? I don't recall those names, but my memory is getting as dodgy as the stuff that went on at the Barras. :)

I'd never seen that PB disk mag either, strange that I never knew those guys considering the amount of time I spent hanging around at the Barras. Having a look at all the PB stuff now though.

mlynn1974 wrote:Was The President upstairs in the ST days? Behind Roger Price Computing

The President originally wasn't in that building at all, but was upstairs (1 up) in the building opposite the end of Gibson Street, to the right of "Pearsons" you see in the video. Later he moved into the "Marketland" building opposite Pearsons, on the ground floor.

Roger Price and most of the other pirates were up those stairs they show in the video, Roger Price to the right and the others to the left or up on the top floor.

Yes. They ran a PD stall. BTW I've met you in person before :) We met at the old Strathclyde computer club on the south side. You fixed your Gods crack to be STe compatible on my STe :) It had the old bitplane out of sync on a shiftmode change issue.

Zippy

Postby Zippy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Frank B wrote:Yes. They ran a PD stall. BTW I've met you in person before :) We met at the old Strathclyde computer club on the south side. You fixed your Gods crack to be STe compatible on my STe :) It had the old bitplane out of sync on a shiftmode change issue.

Aha, I never had much interest in the PD stuff so that would explain why I didn't know the names. I think I do remember the guys you mean now though. :)

Ah yeah, the Strathclyde computer club... good times. I was going to that in the mid 80's with my BBC micro when it was at Strathclyde Uni, but when I met you with your STE was that at the old school in Kinning Park? I think it ended up there after they got chucked out of the GFT? My mate's mum was the manager of the GFT (Glasgow Film Theatre) and he arranged for the club to move there (into what is now their smaller "Cinema 2") but it didn't last when they found some of the computer club guys had been stealing some rare film posters right off the walls! Before that it had been in the Amateur Radio club rooms near Ingram Street.

Some of the guys at the Barras asked me not to give out the latest ST stuff at the computer club, or to only give it out late on just before everyone left, so they wouldn't lose so many potential customers at the weekend, haha. :) Sometimes they'd delete games off the menus too, so they could sell them for more on separate disks.

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:39 pm

Yep. Kinning park club. Quite a few people used to kick about there. Some of the guys from Cynix on the ST and Access on the Amiga.

Zippy

Postby Zippy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 pm

Frank B wrote:Yep. Kinning park club. Quite a few people used to kick about there. Some of the guys from Cynix on the ST and Access on the Amiga.

Yup, I think 1 or 2 of the other Cynix guys from Edinburgh came with me to the club a couple of times, but anyone else who said they were in Cynix was making it up. :)

I never knew there were any Amiga "scene" guys at the club. There didn't seem to be much crossover between the 2 scenes, everyone seemed to either have an ST or an Amiga but very few had both at the same time.

I'm still amazed that the PB mag guys were right here and apparently hung out at the Barras too and yet I'd never seen their stuff.

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 pm

It is possible. I never met DML in all the time I went there :) I met him years later. Hi Doug :D I also wrote the intro to the unreleased last issue of PB :)
I eventually released it 30 years later ! It's here https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/ ... /index.htm :)
Last edited by Frank B on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 pm

I knew at least a couple of members of Access at the club. :)

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:10 pm

If you go there today there are usually some old guys sitting around 1 bar electric fires saying how good it was in the days of mass software piracy.

They may be able to tell you all about the unreleased PB Magazine #24 :mrgreen:
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:14 pm

LOL. What about issues 1-20? :D

wobbler
Atarian
Atarian

Postby wobbler » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:44 pm

This is a blast from the past. I used to go to the Kinning Park club, and also worked in the Barras back in the day.

mrr19121970
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mrr19121970 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:06 pm

can you please 're upload?

The free hosting period for this file has now expired, only premium users can download it.

felicemaggie

Postby felicemaggie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:46 pm

This has now been uploaded to Marcer's FTP site :)
Atari Falcon x 4 (including a broken one that I need to get fixed), Atari Mega STe (4mb, TOS 2.05), Atari STe (1mb), Atari Mega ST (2mb) with SC1435 color monitor, Atari 4160 STe (4mb, TOS 1.62), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD (a fantastic upgrade, definitely worth it).
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :) On PS4 and PS3, username: felicemaggie

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”