STFM to DVI/HDMI project

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: STFM to DVI/HDMI project

Postby ijor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:40 pm

troed wrote:Yeah it does sound strange. However, while the Mega ST schematics are from 1986, you can find the part number also in the Mega STE service manual from 1991:

U17 C025914 IC CUSTOM SHIFTER
U31 or C101608 IC CUSTOM FULL SHIFTER (w/D/A) U31

STF (Non STE) parts on Mega STE service manual ??? Where do you see that?

May be you mean Mega ST, and not Mega STE Service Manual? But then I can't find it online.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Smonson wrote:Haha, Quartus has about three trillion buttons I've never clicked on... :wink:

I see :)

You'll soon learn that the more internal RAM available you have, the more useful SignalTap is. I realize it is not easy to replace the FPGA, but it is recommended to debug with a larger FPGA so that you have lots of internal RAM. Altera provides what they call "Vertical Migration", larger parts with full compatible pinout. That's only for debugging of course, not for production. Yeah, I know, that's not like changing DIP chips on a socket :)

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:47 pm

ijor wrote:
troed wrote:Yeah it does sound strange. However, while the Mega ST schematics are from 1986, you can find the part number also in the Mega STE service manual from 1991:

U17 C025914 IC CUSTOM SHIFTER
U31 or C101608 IC CUSTOM FULL SHIFTER (w/D/A) U31

STF (Non STE) parts on Mega STE service manual ??? Where do you see that?

May be you mean Mega ST, and not Mega STE Service Manual? But then I can't find it online.

Hahaha, good catch :D I got it from here: https://archive.org/stream/Atari_MegaST ... 1_djvu.txt

What I didn't check was whether the link is in error. It contains several different documents - the Mega STE service manual is just the top one. The above section was from the Mega ST field manual 4.0. You're of course right that an ST Shifter is not in a Mega STE. It's still likely that Atari made up documents for a revision that never came to light.

/Troed

Smonson
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Smonson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

ijor wrote:I see :)

You'll soon learn that the more internal RAM available you have, the more useful SignalTap is. I realize it is not easy to replace the FPGA, but it is recommended to debug with a larger FPGA so that you have lots of internal RAM. Altera provides what they call "Vertical Migration", larger parts with full compatible pinout. That's only for debugging of course, not for production. Yeah, I know, that's not like changing DIP chips on a socket :)

I'll look into it, I'm only using 24784 bits right now, out of 119808 available in the EP2C5 (20%), so there's a lot of room.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”