need help fixxxing my 1040 sT

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

need help fixxxing my 1040 sT

Postby ST Graveyard » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:33 pm

Hello,

For some time now my STe is having this disease. When power on, the drive just won't start. I try and try again, and after a while, and after a few little punches, it works again. Is this common? And how can I fix this? Could somebody give me some pointers as I don't know a thing about atari Hardware.

Another thing is my mouse buttons. I think it is the mouse port, cause on all of my three mouses, the left button won't work most of the time, and they all do on my other STe.

Can anybody help me?

Cheers
Grave
We are Atari Legend.

Visit us at : http://www.atarilegend.com

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:00 pm

I suspect on the mouse problem you have a cold solder joint where the connector is soldered into the motherboard. Sorry to say this but in your shoes, I would take the computer apart, remove the motherboard, and touch up the solder connections with a soldering iron and some rosin core solder. Over time the soldered connections can come loose as mouse and joystick are plugged and unplugged.

Not sure what to say about the floppy drive. If you have an external floppy I would try plugging that in and see if it works. That would help to narrow down the problem somewhat. A visual inspection of your connectors on your intenal drive would not hurt, but that seems unlikely as a problem. Make sure control cable and power cable are well seated anyway.
Courtesy is not an option.

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Re: need help fixxxing my 1040 sT

Postby Klapauzius » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:17 pm

ST Graveyard wrote:For some time now my STe is having this disease. When power on, the drive just won't start. I try and try again, and after a while, and after a few little punches, it works again. Is this common? And how can I fix this? Could somebody give me some pointers as I don't know a thing about atari Hardware.

Can't offer any real help on this, but the floppy drive in my Mega ST is also sensible to having warmed up properly. If not (for the first half hour or so after switching it on) it produces lots of CRC errors. This means it does load in it's files, but loading takes longer, as TOS needs a few retries to get it's data from the floppy....

So, no real idea what to do, except perhaps sitting your STE in a warm place :?:

Klaz

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:37 am

Thanks for the info guys,

Well, I can assure you, I take care of my hardware, and it is stocked in my room, which has normal temperature always.

I use to take this machine to computer clubs and stuff, and I guess the trouble started by always moving it.

I will open it up tonight and see If I can fixxx some things.

More help is welcome...If there are people out there who had the same trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
grave
We are Atari Legend.

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: need help fixxxing my 1040 sT

Postby Greenious » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:11 am

ST Graveyard wrote:For some time now my STe is having this disease. When power on, the drive just won't start. I try and try again, and after a while, and after a few little punches, it works again. Is this common? And how can I fix this? Could somebody give me some pointers as I don't know a thing about atari Hardware.

As with all mechanic things, wear and tear is a major factor. Aswell as dust. Give it a good cleaning, Simbo got a good guide on how to refurb a floppy.

Another thing is my mouse buttons. I think it is the mouse port, cause on all of my three mouses, the left button won't work most of the time, and they all do on my other STe.

This is a classic problem. However, the solution is timeconsuming and requires you to be very careful. You have to take your keyboard apart and resolder the mouse/joystick ports. And the keyboard is full of small parts that you have to put back in place again. (and by design it looks like one piece is missing when you do...)

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:45 pm

Well, good news ... i opened up my STe again ... and cleaned it ... there was some dust visible ... I pushed a bit on the chips ... and now everything is working again!!!

Lets hope it stays a bit like this!

Thanks guys!
We are Atari Legend.

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”