290 pixel fonts

Discuss your favourite artists, styles, art packages and much more in this section

Moderator: Moderator Team

YQN
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

290 pixel fonts

Postby YQN » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi,

I recently found this post with 290 pixel fonts, and I made a quick processing sketch to convert the files to 320*200 png images which can then easily be converted to PI1 here. If I were more skilled I would've made a tool that converts directly to PI1 but eh, I did what I could... Still thought it might be worth sharing.

The sketch creates an image with all the provided characters in ASCII order, first as 8*8 tiles, then zoomed x2 (then junk text), like so:

0048.chr.gif.png

The processing "app" looks like this:

font_conv.PNG

Commands:
UP/DOWN arrows: browse the fonts list
LEFT arrow: display in the 320*200 screen.
S: save PNG (to the sketch directory).

Since I made this very quickly and didn't mean to share at first, there is at least one "bug":
When saving, the name of the PNG file will be that of the highlighted font in the browser, which can be different from the one displayed if you have pressed UP or DOWN after LEFT, so save right after pressing LEFT to avoid misnaming.

I'm uploading the processing sketch and the fonts. If you don't use processing you can still check the fonts there (very cool), ask for a PI1 in this thread and I'll upload it. You can even ask for a specific text. :)

Oh, and there is a .txt with credits when known.

Hope that's useful to somebody else!

Yann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paulwratt
Atari User
Atari User

Re: 290 pixel fonts

Postby paulwratt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:21 pm

nice job thanks (also to Sometimes-99 for creating them)

for anyone who does not already know, the following can be used to generate .TTF pixel fonts, not limited to 8x8:
http://www.pentacom.jp/pentacom/bitfontmaker2/

could use it to add a few more .GIF fonts if you wanted

Paul

YQN
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: 290 pixel fonts

Postby YQN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Cool thanks!

Social Media

Return to “Discussion”