Wish we could get this...

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

mzry
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Wish we could get this...

Postby mzry » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 am

They're Amiga cases before anyone gets too excited... but I just wanted to post this as it's so cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSF0jmUEWFs

They come in blue, black and clear acrylic. Plus replacement colour keys. I wish we could get something like this for the ST / Falcon case.

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Wish we could get this...

Postby BoNuS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:00 am

A very large 3D printer perhaps ;)
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)

frank.lukas
Atari God
Atari God

Postby frank.lukas » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:09 am

Swap your whole Atari Stuff for Amiga ones and be happy ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

mzry
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby mzry » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:11 am

frank.lukas wrote:Swap your whole Atari Stuff for Amiga ones and be happy ...

That's a great idea I didn't think of that :)

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:13 am

They are very cool but look at the prices. I would really like one for the cool factor but a case with corresponding key-caps is something like $200+

Mindthreat
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Mindthreat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 pm

The frost clear ones are super slick!
"To create the future, you must first embrace the past." - http://cerka.weebly.com

Arawn
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Arawn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:43 pm

I doubt they are 3D printed, most likely someone got hold of the original molds. I can find how much it would cost to manufacture a mold for STf/STe casing, I have a friend who works in the industry here in Portugal and I can have a talk with him. He's a bit overwhelmed with work right now, will have to wait a bit.

Edit: but I'm sure it will be at least in the order of tens of thousands of euros, most probably in the hundreds of thousands...
1040STfm (Spanish), SM125 monitor, Megafile 30, 520STe (4MB), 520STfm (XtraRAM 1MB), Mega STe (4MB, 120MB HDD), Mega ST4, TT030 (4MB+64MB, 1.2GB HDD)

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Arawn wrote:most likely someone got hold of the original molds.

They didn't get the original molds. They looked for them pretty much everywhere but no-one had them. They had either been lost or destroyed. They re-manufactured their own molds changing and improving the design in places.

Arawn wrote:I can find how much it would cost to manufacture a mold for STf/STe casing,I'm sure it will be at least in the order of tens of thousands of euros, most probably in the hundreds of thousands...

These guys will know. But it wasn't in the hundreds of thousands. Their kickstarter needed to raise 150,000 euros for the moulds and approx 1000 units plus profit. I imagine it was 20-30k euros

Maeke
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Maeke » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:21 pm

alexh wrote:
Arawn wrote:most likely someone got hold of the original molds.

They didn't get the original molds. They looked for them pretty much everywhere but no-one had them. They had either been lost or destroyed. They re-manufactured their own molds changing and improving the design in places.

Then why not do the same for our beloved ataris?

mrbombermillzy
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mrbombermillzy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:15 pm

If youre going to make it worthwhile, then why not manufacture something thats really needed:

Amiga 3/4000 keyboard cases and Falcon 030 Upper cases for a start.

Not sure that A1200 cases were in desperately short supply or anything to need a new batch.

Maeke
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Maeke » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 pm

mrbombermillzy wrote:If youre going to make it worthwhile, then why not manufacture something thats really needed:

Amiga 3/4000 keyboard cases and Falcon 030 Upper cases for a start.

Not sure that A1200 cases were in desperately short supply or anything to need a new batch.

Those amiga cases have the same problem as atari cases, yellowing and some cases were broken too, so they decided to make new cases with modern plastic, way more sturdy than aged plastics, but it's clear that i am jealous of these new cases, especially since a stf recently joined my ste, stf which was sold with a broken case, but with a c070789-001 rev D ùotherboard (i didn't know which motherboard it was but if the computer works as the dealer had claim, then i am very Lucky, just need a new upper case, bottom seems in good shape, i am cleaning the computer and will test it later). back to subject, the project was made by amiga 1200 fans so of course they made amiga 1200 cases first, we just need someone to port the project on our cases (and not only falcons)

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:36 pm

I'd be very surprised if there are enough atarians prepared to fund a kickstarter with the amount of money needed to make new moulds from scratch.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:32 am

That would be the problem...
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:37 am

This would rock, I think the A1200 cars also have the potential for the remade A1200 boards that are being worked on (http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Amiga_reloaded). Not sure if we could get some of the really advanced Atari hardware hackers together and build new Falcon motherboards?

vido
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby vido » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:05 am

leech wrote:This would rock, I think the A1200 cars also have the potential for the remade A1200 boards that are being worked on (http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Amiga_reloaded). Not sure if we could get some of the really advanced Atari hardware hackers together and build new Falcon motherboards?

Here you have a chance to get new Falcon motherboard. Not the same size but almost 100% compatible.

http://experiment-s.de/en/progress/

I believe to show support would help for faster progress.

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:37 am

A universal case (desktopper/tower with detachable keyboard), which could hold all atari motherboards (with some replaceable backpate) and have space for the addons/drives would rock and would have enough user base I think...

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:07 pm

I have many old computers from the era in question and by far the worst quality case is that of my Amiga.
They yellow a lot worse than the ST case but more importantly, they are brittle. Of everything I've shipped across the US the only stuff to break were 2 Amiga 500s on 2 seperate ocasions. They are very sensitive to any form of stress. It's different material to the ST and thinner.
Don't be too jealous, they need new cases more than we do...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, TOS 2.06 -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/16MB, Int 8GB Gigafile, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator, UltraSatan -> 1991 Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
Amiga 500, Win 3.11 PC, Several old Macs, Newton, SGI Indy, much more and counting!

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:23 pm

The cases of the Stacy and the STBook are fragile too.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Maybe the same material?
Sadly they're so rare no-one is likely to make new moulds for them. :(
1991 Atari TT030, 2/16MB, Int 8GB Gigafile, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator, UltraSatan -> 1991 Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
Amiga 500, Win 3.11 PC, Several old Macs, Newton, SGI Indy, much more and counting!

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:55 pm

The STacy cases are pretty fragile (in places) as they age.

When taking it apart, you have to be really careful around the
floppy drive. Also the molded sections on the back cover are
easily broken, as well as some of the plastic threads strip
very easily. Darned things are so close and tight inside. :)

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:19 pm

vido wrote:
leech wrote:This would rock, I think the A1200 cars also have the potential for the remade A1200 boards that are being worked on (http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Amiga_reloaded). Not sure if we could get some of the really advanced Atari hardware hackers together and build new Falcon motherboards?

Here you have a chance to get new Falcon motherboard. Not the same size but almost 100% compatible.

http://experiment-s.de/en/progress/

I believe to show support would help for faster progress.

Awesome! I was not aware of this project. Looks like there is full progress on ST/STe, but still a lot of work left for Falcon chipset.

Would love to support a project like this. I would also love to know if we could ever potentially get TOS 5.0 released. One thing I find different in the Atari community over the Amiga one is that they like to argue a lot over who owns the OS now, where we have people just adding to the open source buts and working on EmuTOS. Not sure why more of them don't just support AROS, since at this stage I would think they should all agree that open source is the only way forward for improvement. OS4 is nice, but limited to speciific hardware.

mrbombermillzy
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mrbombermillzy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:35 pm

EmpireAndrew wrote:I have many old computers from the era in question and by far the worst quality case is that of my Amiga.
They yellow a lot worse than the ST case but more importantly, they are brittle. Of everything I've shipped across the US the only stuff to break were 2 Amiga 500s on 2 seperate ocasions. They are very sensitive to any form of stress. It's different material to the ST and thinner.
Don't be too jealous, they need new cases more than we do...

I fully understand what you are saying... However, I have the oposite problem!

I have an A1200, non yellowing and in great condition. I havent kept it in any especially careful way :)

However, I have 2 Mega ST keyboards and the case plastic is very brittle on both.

I believe the culprit is not C= using better plastic than Atari or anything like that, but SUNLIGHT!

The reasoning behind this is because I have a motorbike that was made in 1986 and the original plastic coolant tank that was on there when I bought it about a year ago is like glass paper. I could crush it into pieces by hand very easily. To me, this looks like exposure to sunlight.

I suppose different plastics react differently, but this seems to be the same sort of effect, but perhaps more intense as the motorbike tank is in direct sunlight every day.

Computers are not generally stored outdoors :) but obviously they can be next to a window. This can cause the bromine to react causing the browning effect. However, one thing that still puzzles me about that... Isnt glass meant to filter out UV light?

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:05 am

I personally have found the Mega ST keyboards to be rock solid, built like
tanks...

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:25 pm

I agree sunlight is a big problem.
But the A500 and ST cases are not the same type of plastic.
Even when they were new in say 1990 the Amiga felt more flimsy to me.
Not that the ST is a quality built product by any stretch of the management mind.
Also the cases of some Atari peripherals are seemingly made from a different plastic to the ST itself.

I'm curious now as to what plastic Commodore used on the A500 vs Atari on the St, and the general thickness of them, in terms of comparison.

Not that it matters really, but I honestly feel the ST is better built than the A500, however when it comes to say the TT and the A3000 the Amiga could well be better. (is it metal?)

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:47 pm

I always felt that the Falcon was better constructed than the A1200 as well.

The Mega ST's always seemed like workhorses to me also (witness my
personal experience with the one dated "1987" that's been running my
BBS quite literally for decades).

EDIT: Not to seem like I'm knocking the Amiga all the time, I also owned
an A1000 and an A2000 and they felt very solid to me. I especially liked
the A1000 with the recessed keyboard and the signatures on the inside
cover, including the dog. :)

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”