Is there a way for the host program to know whether Pasti is using an ACSI drive?

In this forum you'll find more information about the Pasti & VAPI Tools and the Preservation Project built around these tools. Come on in to find out more about it and discuss these projects.

Moderators: Mug UK, ijor, Moderator Team

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Is there a way for the host program to know whether Pasti is using an ACSI drive?

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:48 am

I see nothing about it in pasti.h, but maybe it is outdated?

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Is there a way for the host program to know whether Pasti is using an ACSI drive?

Postby ijor » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi Steven,

I don't remember adding a specific API for that purpose.

There are a couple of workarounds. One is to look into the configuration. See the Pasti section of Steem.ini and it would be obvious. Only issue here is that it might not be necessarily updated from the current state (but you can force an update it if you want).

The other is to inject some kind of ACSI command in the DMA channel to see if there is something. But that looks a bit ugly for a workaround :)

Anyway, let me know what you need and I'll implement something in the next update (that hopefully would be released shortly).

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Is there a way for the host program to know whether Pasti is using an ACSI drive?

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:23 pm

I'd like to be able to check in config info if the enable box of hard disk config is checked.
For some reason STE TOS is slow when checking ACSI drives. One shouldn't disable it if an ACSI drive is actually used. In Steem I can check its native ACSI option, but when Pasti is enabled, we're forced to keep slow TOS.
It's not very important.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:12 am

I don't think that STE TOS, so 1.06 and 1.62 are slow in it. With real SW it works as fast as in other TOS-es. + it is most likely same as in TOS 1.04.
So, may be just something in emulation (chain) .
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:05 am

Maybe, but there's a noticeable delay on my STE at first boot too.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:31 pm

If same slowness happens also in Hatari, you can use Hatari's profiler to check where TOS takes its time.

Social Media

Return to “Pasti & VAPI”