GAMEX issue.

A section to cover all the different problems encountered by running game x on system y! Whether it's as simple as a non-STE compatible game through to h/drive installable games. Discuss them all in here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

francouai
Retro freak
Retro freak

GAMEX issue.

Postby francouai » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:47 pm

What does it means?

14725592_10154602606299192_1060118497988478454_n.jpg

I'm trying to play HD games on 2GB CF from IDE controller card
What to do to load the game correctly?
Got this problem with Robocop 1 , Robocop 2, all games with files named "D15R_xx.FIC" on the folder.

I'm trying to understand.
thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
Francouai :angel:

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: GAMEX issue.

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:27 pm

Some of listed requirements is missing. What harddisk driver you use ? What computer ?
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

francouai
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby francouai » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:18 am

I'm using BIGDOS to get my CF alive on Atari 520 STE
--

jvaltane
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jvaltane » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:52 am

Try partition to smaller parts depending on your TOS version. 256MB partition to gamex with STE should be quite safe bet. You can also try 512MB. BIGDOS with your gamex partition might cause some problems.

I had similar problem with Falcons IDE. I had to move gamex games to 512MB partition. Actually I repartition whole disk.
- jvaltane

francouai
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby francouai » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:31 am

I have actually only one partition of 1.9GB with two folders in (GAMES/AUTO).
you've right, here it is the problem.
So,I'll make two partitions on my 2GB CF, one with 90Mg and the 2nd one with 1.9GB to put all games in.
--

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Instead guessing would be better to read instructions, usage: http://8bitchip.info/atari/GamexUsage.html
There says that BigDOS makes problems. So, solution can be:
A: If want DOS partitioning must keep partition size under 32 MB and running not BigDOS when playing games.
With swappable part C that is easy to solve.
B: Using AHDI - it's free, but no DOS type partitioning support, so must solve file transfer different - util is here:
http://8bitchip.info/atari/drimus.php
C: Going on TOS/DOS compatible partitioning and driver - that's commercial. Free demo here:
http://8bitchip.info/atari/DiskImgPP1.html

I really don't see why must put all games on Atari hard disk or Flash card. If you can solve file transfer from PC easily, then is enough to have only those what play currently. And btw. Windows allows access only to first partition on removable storage.
And one thing more: think on people who dealt with it in their free time and try to give some feedback, do some tests of complete gameplay. That will help community too.

jvaltane
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jvaltane » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:33 pm

No. Not that way.

Make some boot partition (any size your machine supports) and for the gamex games partition size would be 256MB or 512MB) ...and I would split rest of the cf for 256MB or 512MB pieces. Try at least without BIGDOS.
- jvaltane

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:29 pm

jvaltane wrote:No. Not that way.
Make some boot partition (any size your machine supports) and for the gamex games partition size would be 256MB or 512MB) ...and I would split rest of the cf for 256MB or 512MB pieces. Try at least without BIGDOS.

As said BIGDOS is not welcome here, to say so rude it :D That's were you are right. But going on larger partitions, over 32 MB requires that they be TOS compatible or DOS/TOS compatible. I must point on it again and again, because people often make mistake combined with not reading instructions and think that some DOS partition works fine on Atari. But when it is over 32 MB and no TOS/DOS compatible driver used and/or it is not created with special partitioner SW following happens: all works good, you can copy there until it is filled up to 16 or 32MB, depending on TOS version. After that new files will simply overwrite files which were first written on partition. Even in this forum some old Atari user made this mistake when posting some image.
Explanation is that DOS type partitions solved using more than 65536 (2 power 16) sectors with 16 bit FAT (what can address max so much) differently than TOS.
BIGDOS is fine TOS extension, but it has lower compatibility, so plenty of SW will not work when it is used.
Newer solution - HAGA should work with BIGDOS too, and at moment about half, so some 500 games are done with it, so until not solve usage of bigger partitions in some of recommended ways (ICD driver is fine too, but I don't know about their IDE driver) better play them (those with date after Jan 12 2012).

francouai
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby francouai » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:45 am

but without BIGTOS, I cannot have any partition more thant 1G??
HAGA is an alternative to BIGTOS? ( I don't know this SW)
--

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:20 pm

francouai wrote:but without BIGTOS, I cannot have any partition more thant 1G??
HAGA is an alternative to BIGTOS? ( I don't know this SW)

It is BIGDOS and not BIGTOS. What means that it is extension what allows using BIGger DOS partitions under TOS (Atari). But as said, it is not good for many SW. HAGA is something different - it is abbrev of HArddisk Gaming Atari - where different system than in Gamex (what has actually direct disk access from driver moved/installed in High RAM) is used, to make it more compatible with different hard disk drivers and extensions. So extension like BigDOS too. But it is always better to running machine without SW extensions - so let TOS self to do all it, if possible. And it is - TOS/DOS compatible partitioning allows max 512MB partitions, so you can have 4 on 2 GB card - that will work faster than combination of BIGDOS and large 1-2 GB partition(s).

Social Media

Return to “Games - Compatibility Issues etc.”