https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Re: MiST and MIDI questions

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:34 am

Pm sent ...
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

vebxenon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vebxenon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:14 am

knabo wrote:I started a spreadsheet a while back for keeping track of compatibility for midi applications just for myself, might be useful for others: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Haven't updated it in months though, so might need to try some things out with the newer cores/firmwares and update.

Thanks for your list :cheers:
Just a computer and videogame lover :)

- Atari Jr 2600 clone
- Atari 7800 Peritel
- Atari XEGS
- Atari Lynx II
- Atari Jaguar
- MiST Board

cyberish
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cyberish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:30 am

Is there some "ROM-Port stuff" going on MiST now?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:11 am

cyberish wrote:Is there some "ROM-Port stuff" going on MiST now?

Do you mean adding a physical rom port or do you mean including dongle logic into the fpga itself? Adding a rom port doesn't make too much sense. It's too expensive as it requires level shifters and a physical connector etc and only very few users would use it. Moving dongle logic into the FPGA on the other hand is a) pretty difficult and b) might not be legal

Furthermore some dongles like the cubase2 dongle require a 100% exact cpu (that's the reason why the dongle doesn't work on a mega ste with caches enabled). This currently won't work with the mist, anyway.

So this is a difficult matter ...
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

cyberish
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cyberish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:37 am

I see... I was thinking of a real rom-port.

edingacic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby edingacic » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Hello what is the status now of MiST running Cubase, Notator SL is it possible to be a replacement for real Atari for work?

knabo
Atariator
Atariator

Postby knabo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:05 am

edingacic wrote:Hello what is the status now of MiST running Cubase, Notator SL is it possible to be a replacement for real Atari for work?

Legit copies of Cubase and Notator still can't run. Cracks of Cubase run pretty well (2.01 and 3.0 working the best), but cracks were buggy even on real hardware, so expect similar glitches/weirdness. I've not been able to get any Notator crack to run reliably (of the 3 or 4 copies i tried, they all crashed or stalled within 10 minutes of fiddling). It really is a shame because it's the more unique of the two programs and some of my favorite albums/songs were written with it.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who's got Notator working.

hybridst
Atarian
Atarian

Postby hybridst » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Has anyone tried running full versions of Hybrid Arts Edit Track version 6 or 7? Full versions of this software do not need a dongle.

schmudde
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby schmudde » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:12 pm

hybridst wrote:Has anyone tried running full versions of Hybrid Arts Edit Track version 6 or 7? Full versions of this software do not need a dongle.

I tried it over the weekend. Edit Track v7.10. I have a pretty up-to-date MiST box:

* Firmware r1203
* Core_150708 r1202
* TOS 2.06

I recorded MIDI (MIDI In) and had it change patches on my keyboard (MIDI Out). Though I never heard playback notes, I assume it was behaving as intended. I tried the help, etc... but didn't really get my head wrapped around the program.

Not sure if it's MiST-related, but the program did bomb when I deleted tracks. Not the first or the second, but the third track delete caused a hard crash.

hybridst
Atarian
Atarian

Postby hybridst » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:25 pm

schmudde wrote:
hybridst wrote:Has anyone tried running full versions of Hybrid Arts Edit Track version 6 or 7? Full versions of this software do not need a dongle.

I tried it over the weekend. Edit Track v7.10. I have a pretty up-to-date MiST box:

* Firmware r1203
* Core_150708 r1202
* TOS 2.06

I recorded MIDI (MIDI In) and had it change patches on my keyboard (MIDI Out). Though I never heard playback notes, I assume it was behaving as intended. I tried the help, etc... but didn't really get my head wrapped around the program.

Not sure if it's MiST-related, but the program did bomb when I deleted tracks. Not the first or the second, but the third track delete caused a hard crash.

IIRC, there are three builds of EditTrack 7 (platinum) floating around. One build is definitely more stable than the other two, though it does crash from time to time. EditTrack 6 (gold) is the most stable version.

I see value in the MiST for replacing my Mega 4 STE, but the only reason I would want one is if the MIDI support is as rock solid as it is on ST's. I doesn't seem like it provides rock stable MIDI.

ryan
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby ryan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:55 pm

knabo wrote:
edingacic wrote:Hello what is the status now of MiST running Cubase, Notator SL is it possible to be a replacement for real Atari for work?

Legit copies of Cubase and Notator still can't run. Cracks of Cubase run pretty well (2.01 and 3.0 working the best), but cracks were buggy even on real hardware, so expect similar glitches/weirdness. I've not been able to get any Notator crack to run reliably (of the 3 or 4 copies i tried, they all crashed or stalled within 10 minutes of fiddling). It really is a shame because it's the more unique of the two programs and some of my favorite albums/songs were written with it.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who's got Notator working.

From my understanding there has never been a reliable Notator software crack? I keep wanting to put some effort into reverse engineering the dongle and then just emulating the dongle in Verilog on the MiST. It has a CPLD in it that responds to messages on the bus and we just need to figure out what logic was programmed into it. I have two dongles, including one partially wired up to my logic analyzer already, I just haven't been able to motivate myself to get down into my office and organize my set up to make it happen.

The Cubase dongle would be easy as it's just a ROM if I'm not mistaken?

knabo
Atariator
Atariator

Postby knabo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:35 am

ryan wrote:It has a CPLD in it that responds to messages on the bus and we just need to figure out what logic was programmed into it. I have two dongles, including one partially wired up to my logic analyzer already, I just haven't been able to motivate myself to get down into my office and organize my set up to make it happen.

The Cubase dongle would be easy as it's just a ROM if I'm not mistaken?

I think Till actually managed to emulate it to some degree, but I'm under the impression that the barrier to success remains the not-perfectly-timed tg68k core. Interesting read here: viewtopic.php?f=111&t=20130&hilit=cubase+dongle

moebiusrising
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby moebiusrising » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:06 pm

schmudde wrote:I tried it over the weekend. Edit Track v7.10. I have a pretty up-to-date MiST box:

Brand new MiST owner here running latest firmware 151118 and ST Core 151123.

I can say I'm pretty impressed with this little wonder box and have plans to hook this up to an array of gear (Complete Korg Volca series, Arturia Minibrute, Eurorack Modular Synth w/MIDI Thru)

So far on this thread options for a 1X4 MIDI Thru box seem to be limited to the MIDIMan model and MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru (which requires soldering on the FPGA? or Quadra board?) to facilitate the 5V draw. Has anyone else tested other manufacturer's thru boxes?

Although I'm sort of wary of being knocked down to a single MIDI Out and 16-channels, I'll have to say "challenge accepted" and look forward to my slim setup.

If there are other users of EditTrack and the MiST I would love to start a new thread to keep in touch (also, I'm hoping to tackle the project of resurrecting a manual and getting it into PDF form)

schmudde
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby schmudde » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:31 am

moebiusrising wrote:So far on this thread options for a 1X4 MIDI Thru box seem to be limited to the MIDIMan model and MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru (which requires soldering on the FPGA? or Quadra board?) to facilitate the 5V draw. Has anyone else tested other manufacturer's thru boxes?

Although I'm sort of wary of being knocked down to a single MIDI Out and 16-channels, I'll have to say "challenge accepted" and look forward to my slim setup.

I might be missing why you're using a thru box; I'm using the Edirol UM-880 MIDI patchbay. My MiST is on Channel 1 and then it is fed out to the other 7 Channels - each synth set to only accept their own channel. It's also quite easy to patch the output of my keyboard into the MiST or into any other sound module.

I haven't settled on a sequencer yet, that's the only thing stopping me from getting real work done on this rig.

moebiusrising
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby moebiusrising » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:13 am

schmudde wrote:I might be missing why you're using a thru box; I'm using the Edirol UM-880 MIDI patchbay. My MiST is on Channel 1 and then it is fed out to the other 7 Channels - each synth set to only accept their own channel. It's also quite easy to patch the output of my keyboard into the MiST or into any other sound module.

I haven't settled on a sequencer yet, that's the only thing stopping me from getting real work done on this rig.

Edirol UM-880 sounds great, but runs around $400 used. I'm fine with 16 MIDI channels but lag starts getting bad after daisy chaining to more than 3 devices (noticeable lag/jitter) I was under the impression MIDI Thru boxes were to give devices a dedicated out to alleviate lag.

As far as sequencers go, I've tested both Cubase v3.01 and EditTrack v7.1 (The re-released freeware version) and Cubase at the moment seems more stable (no crashes, halts)

schmudde wrote:Not sure if it's MiST-related, but the program did bomb when I deleted tracks. Not the first or the second, but the third track delete caused a hard crash.Not sure if it's MiST-related, but the program did bomb when I deleted tracks. Not the first or the second, but the third track delete caused a hard crash.

I've had the same experience you've had with deleting tracks on EditTrack and now just initiate a save on the project before I go ahead and do it. Kind of a cop-out but I can't live without my beloved EditTrack. :D

cube48
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cube48 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Has anyone succeeded with M, the algorithmic composition app? I'm able to run M but it only outputs a real-time MIDI messages like clock and start/stop. Unfortunately no note events. Tried so far only the STE mode and different CPU versions of MIST but no luck. The same copy runs fine on real STE and also on emulators like Hatari and STeem.

Oh, and thanks knabo for that compatibility list!

knabo
Atariator
Atariator

Postby knabo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:42 am

I've just updated the compatibility list. Overall compatibility is up, and I was able to get a few applications working that weren't before. Unfortunately it seems that the most recent firmware/core combination also breaks a few applications that were working before (like Laurie Spiegel's Music Mouse and The Dice Waltz). This is really a shame, because these are two of the best MIDI applications on the ST imo.

cube48 wrote:Has anyone succeeded with M, the algorithmic composition app? I'm able to run M but it only outputs a real-time MIDI messages like clock and start/stop. Unfortunately no note events. Tried so far only the STE mode and different CPU versions of MIST but no luck. The same copy runs fine on real STE and also on emulators like Hatari and STeem.

I had the same issue. Following the instructions found on that page, I got as far as trying to edit a pattern (Pattern>Edit), and it just failed silently, not opening any dialog. I'll experiment more with it later.

Return to “MiST”