Question about dumping to retrobackup

A forum about Atari protected floppy disks analysis, preservation, emulation, tools

Moderators: DrCoolZic, Brume

Skyworm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Question about dumping to retrobackup

Postby Skyworm » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:17 am

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new here, so please excuse me if this question has been asked before.
I want to dump my collection of Atari ST games to the ftp server (ftp://retrobackup.com). I have a SuperCard Pro (which absolutely rocks!), so I'll be uploading SCP images. On the forum, I think JimDrew argues that one rev is fine (which I assume is done using the defaul values by setting the copy mode to 'index' on the SCP sw), while DrCoolZic argues it's better to use splice with 3-5 revs if you want to get better image quality and allow for conversion to .stx (did I get that right?).

What is the agreed upon method for dumping disks on the FTP server?

Again, sorry if this has been asked a million times. I am a complete noob when it comes to floppy-related stuff, but certainly very enthusiastic to learn more! =D

Skyworm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Question about dumping to retrobackup

Postby Skyworm » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:46 pm

So, I've started dumping in the "Incoming-Atari ST" folder. My setup with the SuperCard Pro softare is splice with 5 revs. I check every dump with Steem, and occasionally a real ST machine.

There are some pretty good titles in there, like Betrayal, Monkey Island, Several Sierra titles, etc. So hopefully you'll see them in the main folder eventually.

Enjoy!

kodak80
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kodak80 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:14 am

I think the 5 rev / 1 rev choice is really what works for you. SCP is aimed at duplicating your disks and I have started with 5 rev then had issues with 1 rev and now use 5 rev again for my backups. I also have a Kryoflux board and this defaults to 5 rev. I would recommend using 7zip to compress your SCP dumps as this saves considerable disk space and makes uploading to the retrobackup.com quicker.

Dumps look good. Many thanks for uploading them. Look forward to the remainder. :D
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:41 am

Of course, this thread should be in preservation section.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:34 am

AtariZoll wrote:Of course, this thread should be in preservation section.

Yes, moved:)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Skyworm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Skyworm » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:02 pm

kodak80 wrote:I think the 5 rev / 1 rev choice is really what works for you. SCP is aimed at duplicating your disks and I have started with 5 rev then had issues with 1 rev and now use 5 rev again for my backups. I also have a Kryoflux board and this defaults to 5 rev. I would recommend using 7zip to compress your SCP dumps as this saves considerable disk space and makes uploading to the retrobackup.com quicker.

Dumps look good. Many thanks for uploading them. Look forward to the remainder. :D

That makes sense. So I'll make sure to compress the rest of the dumps using 7zip.
Also apologies for posting in the wrong section, I'm new :)

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Your uploads were replaced with compressed versions. Since retrobackup is only for SCP images, you probably posted in the correct forum to begin with.
I am the flux ninja

Skyworm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Skyworm » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:34 pm

JimDrew wrote:Your uploads were replaced with compressed versions. Since retrobackup is only for SCP images, you probably posted in the correct forum to begin with.

Ah well, either way I'm glad you guys filled me in on the proper procedure. It's nice to find so many retro enthusiasts on the forums.

I'm compressing several more SCP images right now, so hopefully they'll be on the server in about an hour.

By the way Jim, thanks for developing the Supercard Pro, it's awesome :)

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks... they are quite popular for sure. I am getting ready for a 5th production run. Hard to believe that in a few months it will be 2 years old.
Last edited by JimDrew on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the flux ninja

Skyworm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Skyworm » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:16 pm

JimDrew wrote:Thanks... they are quite popular for sure. I am getting ready for a 5th production run. Hard to believe that is a few months it will be 2 years old.

That's great news, I wish you the best Jim.

Honestly, I'm really happy that there is a market for it. It really is a very solid product, and so far I've had about 99% success with it. In fact the only exception was Prince of Persia that simply refuses to work. I might actually start a new thread about it, should be interesting to see what the problem is with that one.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:36 pm

If you send me the flux (.scp) image file, I can tell you what's wrong with it. Make an image using SPLICE mode (2 revs or more) and send it to: data @ cbmstuff.com
I am the flux ninja

Skyworm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Skyworm » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:10 pm

Okay, that's weird. I dumped it again using the exact same settings (SPLICE 5 revs), and now it works... I have no idea what changed.
I've uploaded the SCP file to the FTP server.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Are you cleaning your drive heads frequently while dumping? You should be. The magnetic media did not fair well over time and it will collect on the heads, making them "dirty". This results in incorrect data being read.
I am the flux ninja

Skyworm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Skyworm » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:03 am

JimDrew wrote:Are you cleaning your drive heads frequently while dumping? You should be. The magnetic media did not fair well over time and it will collect on the heads, making them "dirty". This results in incorrect data being read.

Assuming there isn't a better way of cleaning the drive heads than using a "Disk Drive Head Cleaner" that I bought off ebay, then I'd say yes.

So I guess I'll look around forums to find out more about using the analyser that comes with your SCP software. It makes sense, I think, to start checking my image dumps as I go along.

Thanks Jim.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:58 am

It's pretty obvious if the flux is bad just by loading the image into the analyzer and looking at a few tracks. I am working on a routine right now that will check the flux as the disk is copied and report if the flux ends up outside of +/-5% of the expected bitcell region.
I am the flux ninja

kodak80
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kodak80 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:30 am

One other element to consider when cleaning are the floppy disks themselves. If the floppy disk has mould or dirt on the surface then this could be your problem. Cleaning the floppy disks themselves also helps get good dumps.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards

Skyworm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Skyworm » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:42 pm

JimDrew wrote:It's pretty obvious if the flux is bad just by loading the image into the analyzer and looking at a few tracks. I am working on a routine right now that will check the flux as the disk is copied and report if the flux ends up outside of +/-5% of the expected bitcell region.

That would be really helpful. I took a look at a sample of the disks that I've been dumping, and so far everything looks normal. Actually I found that Aufit is very useful in this regard too. I love the "Disk View" visualisation, it's very convenient. However, a routine that automates the process, like you said, within the SCP software would be optimal.

kodak80 wrote:One other element to consider when cleaning are the floppy disks themselves. If the floppy disk has mould or dirt on the surface then this could be your problem. Cleaning the floppy disks themselves also helps get good dumps.

Q-tip and alcohol? :)
I'm curious, is there a better way to clean them?

kodak80
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kodak80 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:44 am

Q-tip and alcohol? :)
I'm curious, is there a better way to clean them?

I still use a Q-tip and alcohol as this is a delicate cleaning process. I did consider options on automating the cleaning but if dirt got in it could damage the disk surface and a Q-tip offers more tactile feedback.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:56 am

I tried to clean a floppy once years ago with IPA, it took the magnetic coating right off the disk :roll:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Skyworm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Skyworm » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:40 pm

exxos wrote:I tried to clean a floppy once years ago with IPA, it took the magnetic coating right off the disk :roll:

Oh dear... :/

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:58 am

i use woman coton eye cleaner. It's softer than Q-tip, and allow with IPA to remove ALL the poo beyond the disk surface. With a Q-tip there's always some mould remaining on the surface.

My 2 cts and personal experience. With it, some absolutely unreadable disks came back to life, and i've been able to dump them properly :)
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Social Media

Return to “Floppy Disk Preservation”