NEW IDE Controller & TOS 2.06 board (with extras)

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: NEW IDE Controller & TOS 2.06 board (with extras)

Postby joska » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Select "Install driver" (IIRC) and then select which partition to install HD-driver on. Reboot. That's pretty much it. The desktop will only install an icon for the first partition by default though.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:03 pm

wyerd wrote:I'm finding HDDRIVER a bit tricky to get to grips with. Once you created a partition and formatted it, how do you designate the drive letters and get it to boot off C? Is there a guide anywhere or a list of steps? Thanks. Getting there :D

With the demo, you need to create a single partition of size "0.5".

Then reboot, run HDDRUTIL again, and choose "Install HDDriver" and select the C: drive, and reboot again and it should boot from it.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

wyerd
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby wyerd » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:11 pm

I've upgraded to the full version but it's not booting from C:

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Can you show a picture of where the clip is connected on the ACSI port ?
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Also, what size of partition are you using ?

Maybe show a picture of the partition screen ?

wyerd
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby wyerd » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:05 am

It BOOTS!

It all came together once I used a 2GB SanDisk CF card. It appears not all CF cards are the same.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:39 am

Take a picture of the problem CF cards and let me know. Thanks, and glad you up and running.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:51 am

I've always used SanDisk with the SD cards I've used with all of
Jookie's devices I have, Satandisk, Ultrasatan, etc. I've not had
any problems with SanDisk cards. I've always used them because
in a few other threads here and other places, some users had
posted the same thing - that some cards just don't work.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

wyerd
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby wyerd » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:31 pm

alanh wrote:Take a picture of the problem CF cards and let me know. Thanks, and glad you up and running.

Had problems with these 2:-

What are the recommended partition sizes for Boot & Data? I have a Boot partition of 32MB and am thinking of splitting the rest of the card into 256MB chunks.

alanh wrote:Once you are setup, you also might want to try getting one of these style adapters which are much smaller and take the power directly from the IDE board.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Female-IDE-Ad ... 5af217e8d3

I've ordered one of these off eBay as it'll be a better fit than what I'm currently using.

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone who helped me out, it's very much appreciated. Cheers!

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:58 pm

I tried a few out on my falcon a few years ago, Lexar seems to be one of the best.

Code: Select all

Transfer rate
Sandisk CF EXTREME III        3494 KB/sec  0.8mS.
LEXAR    200x                 3580 KB/sec 0.2mS.

Partition Transfer rate
Sandisk CF EXTREME III        3287 KB/sec 6.3mS.
LEXAR   200x                  3442 KB/sec 5.4mS
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 pm

I've never seen Integral before, so I'll try and get my hands on one.

I'm surprised the Sandisk had problems though.

As for partitions. The max for TOS 2.06 is 512MB for each partition. It's really how you want to slice up your card though.

Also, you can get BigDOS which allows bigger partitions, but you'll be limited to 512MB for the boot partition.

BigDOS pointers are on the HDDRIVER website.

diamondspringwater
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby diamondspringwater » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:04 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question but, if my STE has a bad DMA will I be able to save a CF card via the ide controller and not get corrupted files.
Thanks

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:28 pm

I have some trouble with my Atari Mega ST4 and the DMA/ACSI Port and over the IDE Interface it is all fine, not problems ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

diamondspringwater

Postby diamondspringwater » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:19 am

Thank you Frank, that sounds like what I need, I keep getting corrupted partitions on Satandisk.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:19 am

diamondspringwater wrote:Thank you Frank, that sounds like what I need, I keep getting corrupted partitions on Satandisk.

For the sake of future discussions on the topic, do you know that you have the "bad" DMA chip (C025913-38)?

(I belong to the people who've switched out my "bad" DMA for a "good" DMA without ever really have had the issue - and there have been some recent discussions on how it might be external influences, not the chip, that causes the issue. It's always good to have documented corruption issues instead of ancient lore .. :))

/Troed

wyerd
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby wyerd » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:35 pm

alanh wrote:Once you are setup, you also might want to try getting one of these style adapters which are much smaller and take the power directly from the IDE board.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Female-IDE-Ad ... 5af217e8d3

Adapter arrived today. 6 Days from Hong Kong and that's including 2 days for the weekend. Plugged it in making sure that I'd identified pin 1 before hand and booted. Read CF card, HDDRIVER and straight to desktop. Happy chappie!

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:49 pm

Great stuff. Glad you're all sorted.

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:52 pm

Well, my STE IDE board arrived earlier in the week and I've spent some time tinkering today to get it installed.

I took Alan's advice and took my time lining up the pins to the cpu socket before I inserted, and it was well worth it.

Despite a scary level of force to insert the board,the STE booted fine afterwards, which was reassuring.

I spent some time trying to make the HDDRIVER software work, but given it was a limited functionality demo, I've plumped for AHDI for now, and have left the CF drive formatting.

The drive busy light is on, so I'm feeling hopeful, and if I can get this stage done, I'll be looking to permanently mount the drive internally, possibly with the CF card easily removeable from outside.

The machine is a bit of a frankensteins monster, starting out as an STE board off ebay, arriving caseless. A 520 STFM was bought dead, and the case modded to contain the STE board.

A 4MB upgrade followed, and now AlanH's superb IDE board.

I'll report back on how I get on, hopefully in the next few days.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:13 am

I'd recommend CBHD over AHDI if you're after a free version of HD driver software.

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:45 pm

I've got up and running successfully with AHDI, and I can see the drive and access it :D

At the moment it's still in bits across my desk, so I have time/options and am certainly considering giving CBHD as an option, and I'm not going to plump for one driver just yet.

AHDI was amazingly easy to set up though, after spending quite a bit of time trying to get HDDRIVER to work unsuccessfully, I can only guess that maybe my 1GB Sandisk CF card didn't get on with it.

With AHDI, I was able to create an AHDI floppy disk from an image on an old Dell laptop, using floimg, and get straight in there and format and partion with no bother at all.

The next stage I think will be a case mod to allow me to access the CF card externally and some tinkering with CBHD, and I may see what happens with the 16GB CF card I have, just to see if it works.

I have to say hats off to AlanH for putting this together, it makes adding IDE to the STE a piece of cake.

It's still way easier to add a hard disk to an A1200 than an STE, but the STE has been more fun!

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:57 pm

So it looks like my 16GB CF card works with AHDI as well, it's formatting as we speak :D

I'm struggling to find CBHD though, so if anybody has a good link please....

I have been able to find cbhd502.tos, and I can extract it on my STE, but I have no way of compiling the extracted files at present :?

So far very impressed, but sadly no more time for tinkering today!

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:22 pm

I peaked too soon when I said the 16GB card worked, it wouldn't let me format, but TBH I don't need a massive drive, because Atari disks only hold 720kb, so 1GB is more than enough.

Might dig out some old laptop drives and have a play with a physical drive over a CF card, epecially since the STE is in bits atm.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:21 pm

That could be a problem of AHDI rather than the CF.

CBHD502.TOS should unpack with CBHD.PRG so no need to compile anything.

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:09 pm

HMM, it didn't unpack CBHD.PRG, maybe an issue with my download, so I'll get it again and try unpacking, see what happens, thanks.

Will post when I've had a chance, likely this weekend.

UPDATE:

So, i managed to look tonight and it hadn't unpacked properly, so I have redownloaded and unpacked ok.

Will give it a whirl this weekend for sure.

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Mon May 04, 2015 10:29 pm

So.

I've spent a lot of time over the weekend with both AHDI and CBHD, and the winner was ultimately CBHD.

For whatever reason, AHDI would not allow me to install a bootable driver on C, and after much reading, faffing, testing, trying, retrying etc (You get the picture), I was able to install CBHD, and get a bootable system running.

A quick save of the desktop later and I now happily boot up and see all 4 partitions on my 1GB CF card, with no need to boot from floppy any more :D

So far, I've upgraded to AlanH's wonderful IDE card, 4MB ram from 1MB (STE, so dead easy), and TOS 2.06, which meant I had to get the soldering iron out to re jig the jumpers, and I'm happy to say all is well.

I also soldered the HD floppy jumper whilst I had the lid off, and the HD format option is showing as available, though I don't have a HD FDD installed as yet.

Next is an upgrade to add that HD FDD drive, so if anyone has any good links, it's an STE I'm trying to upgrade :o

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”