Anybody know the story on the death of Atari World magazine?

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Anybody know the story on the death of Atari World magazine?

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:22 pm

I have really enjoyed reading the magazine and am curious why it folded after issue #11.

I mean, I just finished issue #11 from March 1996 and no mention in the magazine of it being the last issue.

They talk about issue #12 like it is already planned and they encourage subscriptions in the letters page.

It is almost like they didn't see it coming.

With the backing of Compo and input from System Solutions' Karl Brandt it would seem like the magazine would hold its own. They mention in issue 11 taking on a new staff writer 8O.

What could have happened? There must be some story being the sudden demise of the magazine.

Anyone have the details of what happened back then?

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Anybody know the story on the death of Atari World magaz

Postby viking272 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Interesting!
I worked for Neal O'Nions (the publisher) at the time and I think it was to do with the lingering issues from an editorial decision to run some unsavoury photos in an earlier edition.
It got pulled from the high street chains within a few months (no-one would stock it) and had a massive task to convert everyone to a subscription base, but struggled.
The demise may have also been linked to the struggles of the Atari scene and rising paper costs, and the publishers other businesses struggling too.
I had left in Aug 1995, so was watching from afar when it closed, but I'm pretty sure other businesses owned by Neal folded at the same time.
I do however have a load of magazines including several of the dodgy edition WITH the pages that were cut out! Think they're in the loft until they became valuable! :D
I see Vic Lennard is on Linkedin so he may shed some more light! :)
Cheers

SteveBagley
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby SteveBagley » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:05 am

viking272 wrote:I had left in Aug 1995, so was watching from afar when it closed, but I'm pretty sure other businesses owned by Neal folded at the same time.

I seem to remember the discussion on NeST (UK-based Atari focused FidoNET-based BBS network) at the time was that the Compo lot had gone under.

I do however have a load of magazines including several of the dodgy edition WITH the pages that were cut out! Think they're in the loft until they became valuable! :D

The cover of that issue was awkward to buy in Smiths aged 16 I can tell you!

Hadn't he gone by issue 4 (due to ill-health brought on by issue 3 -- I think I emailed him about the cover) replaced by Andrew Wright.

It was a shame because it was probably the best Atari magazine there was -- I'm kind of annoyed I binned my copies years ago, are there scans available anywhere?

Steve

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:11 am

viking272 wrote:Interesting!
I worked for Neal O'Nions (the publisher) at the time and I think it was to do with the lingering issues from an editorial decision to run some unsavoury photos in an earlier edition.
It got pulled from the high street chains within a few months (no-one would stock it) and had a massive task to convert everyone to a subscription base, but struggled.
The demise may have also been linked to the struggles of the Atari scene and rising paper costs, and the publishers other businesses struggling too.
I had left in Aug 1995, so was watching from afar when it closed, but I'm pretty sure other businesses owned by Neal folded at the same time.
Cheers

Ah ok, yes, the letters pages in the following issue were quite critical of the "barbie" incident (which was issue #3). I know my copy has the offending page cut out, but the article is still pretty racey. I could see some chains reacting to it negatively. I didn't realize how much it affected the distribution of the future issues. Wow.

As for the paper costs, I noticed the last issue had a cheaper stock, not glossy at all. Maybe they were trying to save costs. It was just so sudden how they cancelled it. Can you imagine buying a subscription in issue #11 and then never getting even one issue? 8O

The magazine itself rocked! I am comparing each issue with the same time frame ST Format counterpart and Atari World knocked them out. Lots of really good articles and series.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:17 am

SteveBagley wrote:
viking272 wrote:I had left in Aug 1995, so was watching from afar when it closed, but I'm pretty sure other businesses owned by Neal folded at the same time.

I seem to remember the discussion on NeST (UK-based Atari focused FidoNET-based BBS network) at the time was that the Compo lot had gone under.

The cover of that issue was awkward to buy in Smiths aged 16 I can tell you!

Hadn't he gone by issue 4 (due to ill-health brought on by issue 3 -- I think I emailed him about the cover) replaced by Andrew Wright.

It was a shame because it was probably the best Atari magazine there was -- I'm kind of annoyed I binned my copies years ago, are there scans available anywhere?

Steve

So I guess it came down to Compo's business going under and ever-shrinking distribution by the chains. Must have been more to do with Compo going under I think because it was so sudden.

Yes, Vic announced in issue #4 that he was leaving. His farewell editorial swore it wasn't because of the issue #3 article, but who knows. The stress from the reaction to it certainly couldn't have helped his health any.

Yes, it was the best Atari magazine of its time I think. I don't know of any scans anywhere, but maybe someone else does.

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:13 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:
The magazine itself rocked! I am comparing each issue with the same time frame ST Format counterpart and Atari World knocked them out. Lots of really good articles and series.

It's a funny one that... Future Publishing also did the 'Future Music' magazine, at the time that only had between 20k-30k readers ( same or less than ST Format ) but I guess it had stronger advertising support? On the flipside if Future had actually provided a 'decent' magazine then they might have had advertisers !! Easily had a Midi/productivity section and tutorials and sold ad space on that.... just another example of corporate laziness!

I still have issue's 1-6 of Atari World here, including the garish Barbie edition.. pages cut! I think all the coverdisks are online.
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:54 am

nativ wrote:
TheNameOfTheGame wrote:

It's a funny one that... Future Publishing also did the 'Future Music' magazine, at the time that only had between 20k-30k readers ( same or less than ST Format ) but I guess it had stronger advertising support? On the flipside if Future had actually provided a 'decent' magazine then they might have had advertisers !! Easily had a Midi/productivity section and tutorials and sold ad space on that.... just another example of corporate laziness!

I still have issue's 1-6 of Atari World here, including the garish Barbie edition.. pages cut! I think all the coverdisks are online.

I know. ST Format at the end was a shell of a magazine. Like 50 pages or so. But that was Future's choice I guess. I just need issue 4 for a complete set. Anyone have one to sell? :wink:

BTW, I heard Atari World took over after ST Review went under. How many issues of ST Review where there? I have issues 1-35 here. Last one I have is January 1995.

*Edit* Whoops, I just looked at issue 35 and it was indeed the last one. So I guess I have a full set. Haven't had a chance to read those yet. Next up for me is my Atari Computing set. Really lookng forward to those!

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:41 pm

I know. ST Format at the end was a shell of a magazine. Like 50 pages or so. But that was Future's choice I guess. Future's arrogance and impunity from giving a damn!

I just need issue 4 for a complete set. Anyone have one to sell? :wink:

I think I have a few ST User / ST Review / ST Format / The One but none that early I think! Probably start listing them on ebay
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:51 pm

out of interest, what was the dodgy image ? My copies are the ones with the images removed.

was it any worse that the 'sex' issue of ST/Amiga Format ? that had boobs and everything in it :)

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:53 pm

nativ wrote:

I think I have a few ST User / ST Review / ST Format / The One but none that early I think! Probably start listing them on ebay

I'll check my stash, I might have a 4 spare.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:43 pm

spiny wrote:
nativ wrote:

I'll check my stash, I might have a 4 spare.

Oh great! Thanks for looking. That #4 is an elusive one haha :D

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:36 pm

spiny wrote:out of interest, what was the dodgy image ? My copies are the ones with the images removed.

was it any worse that the 'sex' issue of ST/Amiga Format ? that had boobs and everything in it :)

It's odd, because the images that are still in the mag are doctored anyway? I wouldn't think they'd have left one un-doctored and not another, unless it perhaps was more unsavoury... whatever it was it probably pales into insignificance against 'lads mags' and google's content.

SteveBagley
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby SteveBagley » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:28 pm

nativ wrote: odd, because the images that are still in the mag are doctored anyway? I wouldn't think they'd have left one un-doctored and not another, unless it perhaps was more unsavoury... whatever it was it probably pales into insignificance against 'lads mags' and google's content.

It could well be that there were copyright issues with the unseen images and/or they depicted material considered illegal in the UK. In either case, printing them would have been a legal minefield (as well as dubious taste given the varied audience of the magazine).

Steve

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:11 pm

just checked my copy, and page 43 has been removed completely, and it has a sticker on the front saying 'page 43 has not been printed for legal reasons'

Couldn't find any duplicates of STF4 though, sorry.

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:16 pm

SteveBagley wrote:
nativ wrote: odd, because the images that are still in the mag are doctored anyway? I wouldn't think they'd have left one un-doctored and not another, unless it perhaps was more unsavoury... whatever it was it probably pales into insignificance against 'lads mags' and google's content.

It could well be that there were copyright issues with the unseen images and/or they depicted material considered illegal in the UK. In either case, printing them would have been a legal minefield (as well as dubious taste given the varied audience of the magazine).

Steve

I'll have to dig them out of the loft to be sure, but I had 2-3 copies of that edition un-edited. The images that I recall were the bestiality ones with an Alsation dog on a woman with minimal censoring. Quite how an editor thought this was fit for a national computing magazine I don't know.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:18 pm

spiny wrote:just checked my copy, and page 43 has been removed completely, and it has a sticker on the front saying 'page 43 has not been printed for legal reasons'

Couldn't find any duplicates of STF4 though, sorry.

No problem, thanks for checking! :cheers:

SteveBagley
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby SteveBagley » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:28 pm

viking272 wrote:I'll have to dig them out of the loft to be sure, but I had 2-3 copies of that edition un-edited. The images that I recall were the bestiality ones with an Alsation dog on a woman with minimal censoring. Quite how an editor thought this was fit for a national computing magazine I don't know.

That would definitely have been illegal (and still is) under UK law… One wonders if Vic was asked to leave because of it…

Steve

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:07 am

SteveBagley wrote:
viking272 wrote:I'll have to dig them out of the loft to be sure, but I had 2-3 copies of that edition un-edited. The images that I recall were the bestiality ones with an Alsation dog on a woman with minimal censoring. Quite how an editor thought this was fit for a national computing magazine I don't know.

That would definitely have been illegal (and still is) under UK law… One wonders if Vic was asked to leave because of it…

Steve

yeah, thats a biiiig no-no!

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:48 pm

It reminds me, I have scanned all the AC and AW mags, Just need to PDF them really, but my copy has the missing barbie page cut out. If anyone has a good scan of it, I can add it into my PDF.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:51 pm

exxos wrote:It reminds me, I have scanned all the AC and AW mags, Just need to PDF them really, but my copy has the missing barbie page cut out. If anyone has a good scan of it, I can add it into my PDF.

Sounds great! I unfortunately threw away all of my copies some years ago. Where do you plan to make them available for reading/downloading?
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:16 pm

dhedberg wrote:
exxos wrote:It reminds me, I have scanned all the AC and AW mags, Just need to PDF them really, but my copy has the missing barbie page cut out. If anyone has a good scan of it, I can add it into my PDF.

Sounds great! I unfortunately threw away all of my copies some years ago. Where do you plan to make them available for reading/downloading?

They will be downloadable from a server initially. Which reminds me, if anyone knows a easy to use program to convert lots of images into a PDF then let me know.

They may appear in a random order as some pages need to be re-scanned yet still. Though should be some issues which can go live pretty much right away.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:38 pm

exxos wrote:
dhedberg wrote:

They will be downloadable from a server initially. Which reminds me, if anyone knows a easy to use program to convert lots of images into a PDF then let me know.

They may appear in a random order as some pages need to be re-scanned yet still. Though should be some issues which can go live pretty much right away.

If you are using Ubuntu I use a simple shell command like this to convert the pages to pdf:

Code: Select all

for i in *png;do j=`basename "$i" .png`;convert $i $j.pdf;done

Then I merge all the pdf files into one big pdf:

Code: Select all

pdftk *pdf cat output <filename.pdf>

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:38 pm

Im a hardcore GEM & XP PRO person ;)

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:40 pm

exxos wrote:Im a hardcore GEM & XP PRO person ;)

Well I can convert them if you need.

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:07 pm

A small tip

PDF is always the last thing to think about when dealing with scanned material as magazines. I always convert PDF back to regular JPG images using a special PDF to CBR app.

A much better choice is to keep the pages as regular JPG images and then place them inside a regular ZIP file and then rename the ZIP file to CBR

ST_World.zip will be ST_World.cbr instead.

CBR is the standard format for all comic book readers.
http://www.cdisplay.me/

There's comic book readers for all operating systems. Much faster and much smoother then to use Adobes PDF format.

Check EMUparadise for exemple
http://www.emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/

Comic Book Reader for...

Windows
http://68.235.37.75/691ajxXXaTJ10jAKhdc ... 0setup.zip
MAC
http://68.235.37.75/691ajxXXaTJ10jAKhdc ... 0.9.29.dmg
Linux
http://68.235.37.75/691ajxXXaTJ10jAKhdc ... 4.0.tar.gz

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”