Lethal Weapon - Illegal Copy?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Lethal Weapon - Illegal Copy?

Postby Stefan jL » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Sometimes when starting Lethal Weapon so do i get a "Illegal Copy" text at title screen and i can go no further?
I presume this is some sort of copy protection that fails as i use an original copy, does anyone know why the protection think i have an illegal copy?

Also another question... i was playing thru the game in Steem (sse 3.5.3) using the disk image from atari mania and the game get stuck when trying to load the garage level, is this also part of the copy protection?
I have attached a Steem snapshot just before the level loads to this post. (enter the door to the right)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Lethal Weapon - Illegal Copy?

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Not unusual with old floppies - data on floppy checked by copy protection is even more sensitive on aging. I had problems with making Pasti image of one game - copy protection failed. Only 5-th attempt produced working image.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:08 pm

ah..ok, thanks for the answer :)
Do you think having a non-original ST floppydrive would cause this error also?

And what about the STX from atari-mania... could it be a faulty copy, or is it a Steem bug that makes the progress impossible when you reach the garage level in the game?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 am

Atari did not manufacture floppy drives - they used diverse brand regular floppy drives of that era. So, no, it may not be the reason. As said, it is aging. And known problem with magnetic media.

I checked STX of Lethal Weapon at AM - there are no CRC errors (what would mean bad read of sector) in data sectors. Even compared with 1 crack, and no differences. So, most likely it is error free. I recommend that use regular Steem 3.2 , SSE is still pretty much experimental.

What you can do is to make STX image of your copy, even if it reports illegal copy - then I can compare data with STX at AM, so we will know more, and maybe can combine flawless image from 2 sources.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:24 pm

I just tried the snapshot in Steem 3.2 and it loads the level fine there so it is SSE that has a bug then i guess.

You still think i should do an STX?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:13 am

No need for another STX, obviously what we have at AM is OK.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:45 am

Best to report this to Mr Seagal on his bug report thread:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=25093
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:56 am

Dal wrote:Best to report this to Mr Seagal on his bug report thread:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=25093

Yes please report bugs there.
Anyway including the memory snapshot is great, I would never have reached that place on my own.
I looked at it, there's indeed a bug that makes Steem think it isn't a pasti image when reloading the snapshot and the same disk is still in the drive, but only if option 'Pasti only for STX' is set. It's true this option is experimental (as stated in the doc), it should be unchecked by default. Without it it runs fine.
Will be fixed in next beta but first I must release the Unix build.

@AtariZoll: I could also recommend that one doesn't use your buggy software, how would you like it?
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:44 am

Steven Seagal wrote:@AtariZoll: I could also recommend that one doesn't use your buggy software, how would you like it?

No need to feel insulted. I did not recommend to not use your SW. It was only for this concrete case. And where I said 'buggy' ?
You self admit that it is experimental. But if you think that my SW is buggy, please write me some report about, or write some topic here ... Every positive critic is welcome.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”