Cubase Audio CBX and Yamaha CBX

Do you need some hardware and/or software? Do you want to clear out the attic? Post your classified ads here. Please use the sub forum if you are posting links to items you've found on ebay.

Moderators: Mug UK, Adrenalin, Moderator Team

INSPECTOR77
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Cubase Audio CBX and Yamaha CBX

Postby INSPECTOR77 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Hello i need help with my setup:
I have an STE with TOS 1.62 (good DMA), 4 mg ram , the Steinberg dma to scsi interface, a Yamaha cbx-d5, a 1g Quantum Hd, and hddriver 7.93.
Which are the steps to mount the Quantum Hd drive in the STE?, i made 4 partitions of 256 and then format the drive.....ok?...
Will the formated Hd mount in a windows 95 pc for transfer the cubase cbx program?

Regards
-2 Atari STE 4 ram
-Atari Stfm 1 ram

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed May 08, 2013 7:08 pm

You won't be able to mount the drive in Windows.

Funnily enough, I have spent my afternoon trying to get this going now that I have everything I need. I am using the STE with AlanH's IDE interface in it - so I planned to use the UltraSatan to transfer the CBX files over to one of the IDE drives. My plan was thwarted due to what appears to be a dead UltraSatan. :( I've ordered one of Lotherek's ones.

I'm away for a few days now, so can't do any more. I'll probably dig out an old PC laptop and transfer the files using parcp instead.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Driver8
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Driver8 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:59 pm

I've been trying to get my CBX going this week too! I didn't have any success with my Mega 4 and two different SCSI adaptors but picked up a TT last week and finally got it going! I'm guessing it's down to the SCSI implementation, the Steinberg SCSI adapter should do the trick. As far as I'm aware the key is to have two hard drives. Cubase should be on your main hard drive with SCSI ID 0, then there should be a separate hard drive with SCSI ID 1 (for recording audio to), then the CBX itself should be on ID 5 or 6 with a terminator on one of the SCSI ports (I'm using an active one). If you've got the SHDI programme then add this to your AUTO folder on the hard drive you boot from, it appears to be Steinberg's own SCSI driver. When you boot up SHDI should kick in and list both hard drives and the CBX, then it's just a matter of firing up Cubase CBX and you can configure the CBX's settings in the Audio menu.

INSPECTOR77
Atari User
Atari User

Postby INSPECTOR77 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Driver8 wrote:I've been trying to get my CBX going this week too! I didn't have any success with my Mega 4 and two different SCSI adaptors but picked up a TT last week and finally got it going! I'm guessing it's down to the SCSI implementation, the Steinberg SCSI adapter should do the trick. As far as I'm aware the key is to have two hard drives. Cubase should be on your main hard drive with SCSI ID 0, then there should be a separate hard drive with SCSI ID 1 (for recording audio to), then the CBX itself should be on ID 5 or 6 with a terminator on one of the SCSI ports (I'm using an active one). If you've got the SHDI programme then add this to your AUTO folder on the hard drive you boot from, it appears to be Steinberg's own SCSI driver. When you boot up SHDI should kick in and list both hard drives and the CBX, then it's just a matter of firing up Cubase CBX and you can configure the CBX's settings in the Audio menu.

I manage to mount my scsi hddrive!!!

, but when i launch cubase always says, cbx-d5 not found......

what driver did you used for mounting your hard drives???.
-2 Atari STE 4 ram
-Atari Stfm 1 ram

Driver8
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Driver8 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:29 pm

I used the ICD drivers to format the drives and put SHDI.PRG in the AUTO folder on the drive/partition I boot from (usually C drive). When my Atari boots up from C drive it runs the ICD drivers and lists only the hard drives (and their partitions) on the screen, not the CBX. Then SHDI.PRG runs and shows details of the hard drives/partitions AND the CBX. Then when it's finished booting I just run Cubase and it finds the CBX. The important thing (as far as I know) is to get SHDI.PRG to recognise the CBX.

You should have the CBX set to SCSI ID 5 or 6 and the hard drive should be ID 0. Make sure the CBX is last in the SCSI chain and that there's a terminator in the free SCSI port of the CBX. I've never seen the Steinberg DMA-SCSI adaptor. Does it have any switches/buttons?

Driver8
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Driver8 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Oh, forgot to mention that the MIDI ports of the CBX should be connected to your Atari's MIDI ports and the HOST switch on the back of the CBX should be set to 'MIDI'

INSPECTOR77
Atari User
Atari User

Postby INSPECTOR77 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Driver8 wrote:I used the ICD drivers to format the drives and put SHDI.PRG in the AUTO folder on the drive/partition I boot from (usually C drive). When my Atari boots up from C drive it runs the ICD drivers and lists only the hard drives (and their partitions) on the screen, not the CBX. Then SHDI.PRG runs and shows details of the hard drives/partitions AND the CBX. Then when it's finished booting I just run Cubase and it finds the CBX. The important thing (as far as I know) is to get SHDI.PRG to recognise the CBX.

You should have the CBX set to SCSI ID 5 or 6 and the hard drive should be ID 0. Make sure the CBX is last in the SCSI chain and that there's a terminator in the free SCSI port of the CBX. I've never seen the Steinberg DMA-SCSI adaptor. Does it have any switches/buttons?

This is exactly mi configuration, i boot from "ICDBOOT.SYS" (located in c:) and have "SHDI.PGR" in Auto folder inside c:...the problem is the SHDI.PGR don´t show anything...
My hd "id" is "0" my cbx "id" is "6", the cbx Host is "midi"........

The "IDCHECK.PGR" that come with hd utils, show my hd a cbx without problem

Yes the DMA-SCSI adaptor have 4 swiches...but i don´t found any information about it...... i will try changing this

Thanks a lopt for your help!!!!
-2 Atari STE 4 ram
-Atari Stfm 1 ram

Driver8
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Driver8 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Sounds like the switches could be the answer! Might be for changing parity/termination etc.

Let us know when you get it working :)

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu May 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Had partial success on the TT - the SHDI driver immediately found the CBX and my hard drives. Cubase cannot find it though.

For the ST, it seems that a Steinberg interface is required. I'm going to ping an email to Wolgang Forster to see if there is any chance he could somehow make his ACSI-SCSI interface impersonate the Steinberg device. Hopefully it might simply be a case of altering the identity tag of the device.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

INSPECTOR77
Atari User
Atari User

Postby INSPECTOR77 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:46 pm

I can't get it to work, i test all combinations, SHDI driver never loads HD or CBX,
My dma to scsi adapter is the first version, has an internal scsi port and four swiches
-2 Atari STE 4 ram
-Atari Stfm 1 ram

Driver8
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Driver8 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:12 pm

Hmmm.. that's a real shame you guys can't get it working :(

DaI, are you using the version of Cubase CBX that Shredder11 posted earlier on this thread? Seem strange that SHDI would recognise your hardware but not Cubase itself. Does it give you the 'Can't find CBX' error message when you start Cubase?

Inspector77, what brand/size hard drive are you using? Have you tried changing the jumpers on the drive itself? I'm sure there has to be some way of getting it to work considering you have the proper Steinberg SCSI interface. Can you post some photos?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 am

I'm using the cubase package posted by shredder on this thread.

I've been fishing around online and found some references to different firmware for the CBX. Some people talk about v1.08 being a 'mac specific' firmware.

Don't know much more but I'm wondering whether there may be a few of these CBX's that were modified to behave better with macs and it's these boxes which don't play nice with our Ataris.

I've contacted Yamaha support to see if they can clarify or release the firmware images.

INSPECTOR77
Atari User
Atari User

Postby INSPECTOR77 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 am

Some images

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95770197@N06/

The dma2scsi interface can´t handle big hd, so i try with a very old quantum 40 megas from a macintosh II, with this disc i can format-partition-mount without problems,
i can see the hd and the cbx when i scan the scsi interfaces, but the steinberg scsi driver not mount anything.
-2 Atari STE 4 ram
-Atari Stfm 1 ram

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sat May 18, 2013 8:41 am

Yamaha have confirmed that the firmware in my CBX is V2.09 and was the last firmware ever released for it - it was released in 1998/1999. They also confirmed that they no longer carry the ROMs as spare parts and that no ROM images are available.

The Yamaha part number for my ROM is XK857K0.

@Driver8 - can I ask you if you might have a chance to pop your CBX open and take a look at what part number is on your ROM? I have a feeling that the device enquiry string on my later ROM version could be different to what Cubase is expecting; hence why it can't 'see' the CBX.

In the meantime, I will take out my ROM and make an image of it as there doesn't appear to be ROM images available anywhere for these things.

Driver8
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Driver8 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:03 am

I should have a chance to take a look tonight. I'm pretty sure Cubase tells you the firmware number when you bring up the CBX settings screen. If not then I'll open it up and have a look for you, if you've got the means to copy my ROMs then I've no problem loaning them to you, it'd be useful to have images of them them available somewhere.

Driver8
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Driver8 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 am

@INSPECTOR77

Hmmmm.... That's frustrating that you can get the Atari to recognise and format the drives but SHDI doesn't see them at all. Sorry for asking the obvious question but do you have the power supply for the DMA-SCSI adapter? I still think it may just be a matter of setting the jumpers/switches but without a manual there's no real way of knowing what they do...

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue May 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Driver8 wrote:I should have a chance to take a look tonight. I'm pretty sure Cubase tells you the firmware number when you bring up the CBX settings screen. If not then I'll open it up and have a look for you, if you've got the means to copy my ROMs then I've no problem loaning them to you, it'd be useful to have images of them them available somewhere.

Thanks! In the meantime, I have taken an image of my CBX rom and uploaded it to my site: http://www.septicsurgeon.net/Yamaha_CBX-D5.html

INSPECTOR77
Atari User
Atari User

Postby INSPECTOR77 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Driver8 wrote:@INSPECTOR77

Hmmmm.... That's frustrating that you can get the Atari to recognise and format the drives but SHDI doesn't see them at all. Sorry for asking the obvious question but do you have the power supply for the DMA-SCSI adapter? I still think it may just be a matter of setting the jumpers/switches but without a manual there's no real way of knowing what they do...

Exactly, i can see, format, partition and mount the hd, (without power supply don´t work) but SHDI never see HD or CBX... i think the jumpers are for
the internal scsi port.

Regards
-2 Atari STE 4 ram
-Atari Stfm 1 ram

Driver8
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Driver8 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 am

OK, I didn't get a chance to open it up but managed to fire up Cubase quickly and the CBX settings window shows V1.20A which I'm guessing is the firmware version. Maybe the A stands for Atari? How many chips is the firmware on so I'll know what to look for when I open it up?
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed May 22, 2013 9:03 am

Ok sounds promising. There is one EPROM. When you open it, you'll immediately see 2 socketed chips. The smaller one of the two is the one we need.

Thanks!

Driver8
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Driver8 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:57 pm

image.jpg

OK, apologies for the terrible photo but I got it open and found a pair of HOs (sorry, couldn't resist :wink: )
I presume it's the smaller chip on the left you're after?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed May 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Yes - the one on the left of that picture is the EPROM. I'll PM my address. :)

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sat May 25, 2013 6:19 pm

OK - I have good news and bad news.

Good news - I have received the EPROM from Driver8 and created an image of it.

The bad news is that I didn't realise the chip next door which I understood to be a 16bit microcontroller actually also has a PROM integrated within it as well. At present I don't have any way of reading the PROM area of this chip. If anyone has any idea, please let me know!!

CBXD5
Atarian
Atarian

Postby CBXD5 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:15 am

That’s really bad news!
I am the author of a CBX-D5 PC-Software. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuu1oxEcZuE (Anti-Spam-Name Nando Rosso) and looking for a solution the other way round:
I have an old Firmware from 1994 and need the newest V2.09 firmware. As far as I understand it is not possible copy the V2.09 Firmware to a new (blank) EPROM. (I am not fit in electronics)
Anyone here who want to exchange the EPROM my old EPROM for V2.09 ?

Jens

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:28 pm

I may well do. I'm just trying out some older firmware this week on my one. If my suspicion is correct and the 2.09 firmware is no good for me, then I'll definitely be interested in swapping with you.

Both chips need to be swapped - the EPROM is only half the story with regards to firmware on these things.

Social Media

Return to “For sale / Wanted”