Atari 1040 STF FPU upgrade

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Atari 1040 STF FPU upgrade

Postby sagan2 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:17 pm

Hello all!
I have one STF which I'd like to upgrade so I'm planning on Marpet RAM upgrade, TOS upgrade and FPU upgrade. FPU puzzles me since it does not have empty socket like Falcon or STE but only pad marked as "U66" which does have 68 pins just like 68881 or 68882...Is it possible to find PGA or PLCC sockets nowadays that could be soldered onto that pad?
I found some sockets in my local store but they are bit smaller in size and their pins cannot be exactly positioned over the U66 solder pad....I have spare both 68881 and 68882 and would also to get suggestions on which to use on STF....Thnx!
:coffe:

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Atari 1040 STF FPU upgrade

Postby Nyh » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:41 pm

sagan2 wrote:I have one STF which I'd like to upgrade so I'm planning on Marpet RAM upgrade, TOS upgrade and FPU upgrade. FPU puzzles me since it does not have empty socket like Falcon or STE but only pad marked as "U66" which does have 68 pins just like 68881 or 68882...

There is no simple way to upgrade a 1040 STF with a FPU. The empty pad U66 is the place where a blitter could be installed. Not a FPU. The STe cant not be upgraded with a FPU either. That option only exists for the Mega STe and Falcon.

Hans Wesseks

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:02 pm

I believe it is possible to do this on an STE but it takes a considerably huge amount of time, effort and knowledge to achieve. Buying a Mega STE is the best option in the end.

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:14 pm

Shredder11 wrote:I believe it is possible to do this on an STE but it takes a considerably huge amount of time, effort and knowledge to achieve. Buying a Mega STE is the best option in the end.

There are multiple 16 (or more) MHz upgrades with FPU support. The one of the best you can get is PAK68/3 board. Givimg you a 68030 + FPU up to 50 MHz.

Hans Wessels

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 am

Thank you guys for the valuable info! I managed to upgrade RAM to 4 Mb and TOS to 1.04, machine works really nice now! I don''t think it really needs Blitter chip, but if I find one maybe I'll think about it again :) FPU is obviously mission impossible unfortunately...Empty modulator solder pads look tempting but I guess it is much easier to make an ST to SCART cable and enjoy some games on LCD or analog TV with SCART... :cheers:

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:11 am

Nyh wrote: The one of the best you can get is PAK68/3 board. Givimg you a 68030 + FPU up to 50 MHz.

Hans Wessels

Agreed, with the understanding that these are almost impossible to find.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:20 am

Add a 68881 numeric processor to your ST, revised by Djordje Vukovic, includes schematics

http://atari4ever.free.fr/#other
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Well, this is for Mega ST I think...could be used on ST but I wouldn't like to fiddle that much...I feel lucky enough that 4 MBs of Marpet RAM worked immediately :)
I tried ICD Link with Yamaha 4416 CDR I found on an garage sale, but unfortunately it doesn't work because the Link lacks arbitration...Anyone knows if Link would work with simple CD rom device and Extendos? It would be really useful since I have lot of games backed up on CDs....
:cheers:

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 pm

frank.lukas wrote:Add a 68881 numeric processor to your ST, revised by Djordje Vukovic, includes schematics

http://atari4ever.free.fr/#other

you can add an FPU easily to ANY ST

but as talked about before ??? why
there is very little ~ absolute zero software can or would use it
unless recompiled from heavily modded sources to take advantage of it

i think its not a good idea and would also slow down a st init or and ste init
costing mpu cycles each time it gets 'looked at' by the mpu

its a shame more people dont use mega machines to program for it for fear of problems with no fpu in older machines

bit of a c66 = 3X22 but thats the way programs are already made
it would be nice to add but man go buy a mega!!!!

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”