Free Retro Gaming Mini Mag

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Free Retro Gaming Mini Mag

Postby Greyfox™ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:36 pm

A few people over at Retro video Gamer Forum have got together and created a nice little mini mag FREE for the retro gaming community, it has an Interview, a FIG-nition article and a nice little Jaguar CD home brew review, and is designed in a way for printing on one sheet on both sides and folds into a handly little mag for those long train rides home..so don't delay , download today :)

you can get it [here]

helped with by your truely ;)
Last edited by Greyfox™ on Tue May 01, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
↓↓Click Banner to See More↓↓
-== Making Atari great once more ==-

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Free Retro Gaming Mini Mag

Postby christos » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:41 pm

I see kizza is participating. Make sure that the rest of you check what he is writing.

Otherwise: Not bad at all.

P.S. Mr Kizza has been caught plagiarising over and over again so I would check whatever he wrote against the internet.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Greyfox™ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:33 pm

now now..no need for that type of talk :roll: ...I helped them with layouts and with a Jag game being present, I thought I'd share it here with all you Atari Fans, regardless of who wrote the reviews, please leave it up to the readers to make there own opinion of the review and nothing more.. :cheers:

grey.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:29 pm

I am merely urging caution. When you publish something it's only good form to attribute it to its source. I am not talking about the particular review but for the general premise. I imagine you are not doing this as a one off but something that is going to continue. In that sense I feel the need to urge caution so that everyone who in good faith participates in this endeavour isn't associated with any ethically objectionable practices that said individual has performed in the past while displaying no remorse in the present. For example, and I am not aware if he is the founder of the retro video gamer wedsite, although he is a forum administrator, we can see that a lot of the information found in the aforementioned page is taken from other websites without any noticeable attribution.

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index. ... =tabletops
http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~pinwhiz/gs.htm

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?page=arcades
http://www.videotopia.com/games.htm

www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?page=computers
http://freespace.virgin.net/tony.brown7/computer/

Now, I don't know who is responsible and if you had permission and I am prepared to apologise if you do but it does seem strange.
My Atari blog

zapiy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby zapiy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi, i am the founder of RVG, a site that was born way back in 2001 as were those pages, many permissions were sort by various people who helped get the initial site of the ground over 11 years ago.

The site as you see now is new and expanding, the guy you call kizza is indeed Admin and has helped us no end.. What went on here stays here, this is a new beginning an i hope you can try from your end to move on and the old saying live and let live.

Glad you liked the mini mag in general though.

And nice place you all have here.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 am

Hi,
If the original authors are fine with not being credited, who am I to argue? :) I am glad to hear you had permissions, cheers for clearing this up!
My Atari blog

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue May 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Greyfox™ wrote:you can get it [here]

Opps.... get a malware block on my Chrome. :(
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Greyfox™ » Tue May 01, 2012 11:44 pm

It's quite safe only contains 2 jpg images

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed May 02, 2012 12:30 am

Ok.
May be it's the x-site scripting from the advertisements that are on the page. Man, it is plastered with so many of them "fun" advertisement.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Wed May 02, 2012 7:07 am

Kizza and a possible virus... Sounds simply amazing...

sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sh3-rg » Wed May 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Cyrano Jones wrote:Kizza and a possible virus... Sounds simply amazing...

But you won't know how amazing unless you download it (oddly 2xJPG inside a ZIP... I'm not sure which JPEG setting were used, but they've managed to make the files bigger than default [2x2 1x1 1x1] settings would have with a compression factor of 1... try PDF next time maybe :?: ).

Contents:
There's a review of Tube SE, but it's lacking in facts and difficult to wade through. It refers to Tube SE as a CD game - it's not. It's simply a regular Jaguar homebrew binary - someone has used our ULS/JiFFI tools to make a version of it that loads from a CD instead of a skunkboard/BJL/etc., but anyone who's a proper Jaguar fan and knows their arse from their elbow knows that obviously doesn't make it a CD game. It also states it supports Memory Track cartridge - it does not (confirmed with author). Did anyone actually read the included doc or play the game for more than 5 minutes, or did they just watch a YouTube video or two, skim a couple of forum posts & then make it up? Apart from the review being written in a strange/obscure dialect of English I have not previously encountered ("before we all had a chance to take it in the programmer came back with a second edition that features improved graphics and music by Marcus losbjer as well as new unlockable levels, thus fixing the small things wrong with the original Tube" - lol wut?!), the rest of the mag is wonderful...

Well, apart from the poll that looks suspiciously like it had a whole 8 participants and has no tangible link to any feature in the magazine, making it appear to be a quick 'filler'. Also, 1/4 of the magazine seems to be an advert for "The worldwide hub for your hobby"... 8O Seriously, don't make that kind of outlandish claim unless you actually are AtariAge or Digital Press, it just looks ridiculous and isn't going to help your credibility (that along with the majority of the site contents copied from ancient websites, what's up with that?). There's an interview with some fairly bland questioning, not quite "what's your favourite colour?" but hardly any more cutting or insightful. There's an art to interviewing and getting the interviewee to respond in a way that will offer interesting information and make readers want to read more. TBF, a real highlight in this piece is Mr.Kizza asking the guy what it was like to work for Mastertronic - a company I recall he himself once claimed to have worked for... or was it freelance... or was it his uncle... or was it a fib...? Aaaaanyway...

The fignition article is actually quite interesting... a dozen or more pages of that kind of material and people are going to take notice and want to read more. Do that a couple of times a year rather than release stuff similar to this each month or two and you'll get a following and deserve it.

Take that as constructive criticism or rant and rave at <pink and massive font, innit>PURE REBOOT H8ERS!!11</pink and massive font, innit>, one will lead to you producing better results, the other will give you plenty of chatbox rage fodder, so I've helped out either way ;-)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed May 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Downloaded OK.
Great. No malware at all.
Big JPG files allow you to zoom into the small text.... really needed for us older users. :cheers:

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”