Back after years... reanimating my Falcon... IDE-CF question

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

moondog/.tSCc.

Back after years... reanimating my Falcon... IDE-CF question

Postby moondog/.tSCc. » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Hello together,

I was away from Atari´ing quite some time now and I´m going to reanimate my Falcon for proper use again. Happily he´s still running without problems (was laying for about 2 years untouched in my cellars) and I hope he will do it for some more years as well.

As the porting of datas between PC and Falcon was always an ugly job to do and I have read so much about those IDE-CF adapters I´m going to try it out for me too. In fact I will stay with my 2 GB internal HDD as there are some years of my Atari life laying on them and so I thought about a 44pin cable with 3 connectors to be able to use both devices. So up for my quite lame questions :? (I feel like a noob now as I feel completely out of the business today...)

- Is the Falcon PSU able to power HDD and CF-adapter without any problems?

- Does it matter what adapter I use, are they all compatible? I think the biggest point is to be able to jumper the CF adapter.

As I´m going to use it in the first way to swap files between both machines it doesn´t matter to me if the card is bootable and such stuff as the system will stay on the internal HDD...

And... as a last question apart from this, I found in my hardware boxes an external CD-ROM drive to be connected to the printer port. Does anybody know if there were made any works to get such devices to run on Atari machines back in days?

Ok, that´s it for now and thanx in advance!

Eric aka moondog
Undercover Magascene - observing the Atari scene since 1993

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Back after years... reanimating my Falcon... IDE-CF ques

Postby christos » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Welcome back. For the 2 devices on the bus others should be able to answer better, as well as the cdrom. I think metados or cdtools should be able to handle it though if you can spare the cost extendos will be just perfect. For reading the HD on pc, that's a hard part, I managed to get it read on ARANYM under linux and that was the only way I managed to get it read by a pc. It's a relatively simple process, just needs to run aranym with root priviledges.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:23 pm

I have also a 44pin cable with 3 sockets, and have a 30GB HDD and a CF adapter on it. Master on the HDD and slave on the CF adapter.
Booting only from HDD ( the C: partition ) using Hddriver. The CF card itself is DOS/TOS compatible. No issues to write/read on CF on PC and Atari.

Other devices I have attached to the IDE as slave devices which draws power from the Falcon instead of the CF includes another HDD, a SATA adapter with SATA HDD. For device that draw current from external PSU are HDD (3.5 inch), CD-RW drive and DVD-RW drive.

You may want to look at AF wiki on transferring files between computers.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

moondog/.tSCc.

Postby moondog/.tSCc. » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Many thanx for your hints. Ok, going now to catch the needed things and will give a statement when all is up and running... or not 8O

About the cd rom I wonder if this way to connect it to an Atari was ever thought at all. It seems to be quite seldom on the PC as well as I didn´t found running drivers so far and it isn´t running over p´n´p. I also know that the transfer rates will be damn low but who cares? Maybe someone has an idea if some Atari HDD/CD tools are able to handle a CD-ROM at the printer-port on any possible TOS machine...

Thanx in advance,

Eric

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Wow, moondog is back, too :D
Glad to see you here after so many years Eric!

Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ektus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 pm

moondog/.tSCc. wrote:Many thanx for your hints. Ok, going now to catch the needed things and will give a statement when all is up and running... or not 8O

About the cd rom I wonder if this way to connect it to an Atari was ever thought at all. It seems to be quite seldom on the PC as well as I didn´t found running drivers so far and it isn´t running over p´n´p. I also know that the transfer rates will be damn low but who cares? Maybe someone has an idea if some Atari HDD/CD tools are able to handle a CD-ROM at the printer-port on any possible TOS machine...

AFAIK there has never been a driver for parallel port CD-ROMs on the printer port. There was something involving some adapter on the ROM port to use such drives, but I've never seen such a device myself.

CD-ROMs are obsolete anyway, you can easily transfer data with SD-cards (or CF, or whatever) nowadays.

Any CF- or SD-adapter I've ever tried did work for me, but most don't support hot swap. Power down after card removal is mandatory, otherwise these readers won't respond to any command.

Ektus.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage

moondog/.tSCc.

Postby moondog/.tSCc. » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi Brume...

"Many years" ... nothing more to say... feels a bit like a little eternity... I happy that this forum still exists and is going still strong, seems to be even stronger than in the times back I was active in here...

@Ektus... hotswap isn´t a must for me on this, I need it to swap bigger files between my machines as the file splitting as I had to do with floppy disks in the past is so sucky nowadays, that I didn´t feed my Falcy with new stuff since long, long time... so I will survive it when I have to switch on my Falcy here and then to change the card...

About the CD-ROM, I know that they´re obsolete today but before I kick it into eeehbay I just wanted to know if it may be usefull for my Atari´s somehow.

Btw... has anyone experiences with thos double-CF-adapters together with an IDE HDD? I think I have seen some statement that it can be used too - making 3 drives on one IDE port, but I don´t remember the source of this anymore, maybe I have seen this on some advertise about such a double IDE-CF-adapter, dunno right anymore. So what?

Thanx and greetings,

Eric

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Take a look here for CF-IDE adaptors:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21458

I have one in one Falcon in the other I have an IDE to SD which also works great btw.
Using HDDRIVER 8.23 to get them to work...

For the CD I recomend an SCSI (Like a Plextor). They can be found on the net.
Or a zip drive, I have an old IDE in my PC and an SCSI on the Falcon. Use them
to swap software around.
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
( I have just to much Atari stuff)

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Moonie!! :D Ok tscc is back in business... now we need a coder :P
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

moondog/.tSCc.

Postby moondog/.tSCc. » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Muahaha... wouldn´t call it business right now :lol: at the moment I´m fiddling around in my hardware-room in my cellars and stumbled over my falcy again while putting together some oldschool-pc´s. Anyway, will check up the latest releases on Falcon as well on the real machine, not only as youtube video... :wink:

Hau rein!

Greetings,

Eric aka moondog

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:29 am

Oh! Welcome back moondog. :)

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Agreeing with DMA and the rest without adding anything useful, welcome back Eric :cheers:
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”