RAM upgrade = screwed up GEM?!

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

RAM upgrade = screwed up GEM?!

Postby Dark Willow » Tue May 04, 2004 1:18 pm

I got my shiny new RAM upgrade for my STe (512k -> 4mb) thought he post a few days ago and decide to spend a cold wet morning indoors fiddling with innumerable tiny screws to install it.

Everything went fine, two 256k banks out and 4 1mb banks in, put it all back together, loose a screw in the process...

Insert disc and turn on to do some work... boots nomrally, no bombs, normal speed and disk activity (so assuming TOS is OK?), but GEM is TOTALLY screwed... screen is corrupted, recognisable icnons and lebales but black squares over parts of hte desktop and menu is distorted. Mouse does not respond, though I knwo the port and mouse are physcially fine, the mouse being a brand new replacement, and the fact it worked fine beforehand is abit of a giveaway too. :evil:

Turn off and do a clean boot with no disk, but exactly the same thing happens. So what's wrong, and more importanly, how can I fix it?!

The computer is a 520Ste with Rainbow TOS. Dodgey memory aside, it's completely orginal spec.
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

PuppySoft:Projects & More

Mr Nours
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr Nours » Tue May 04, 2004 1:35 pm

Hi,
It seems you've got a nasty memory chip or a bad slot on your board.

Try :
1- Clean the memory slot , put again your 4 modules.
2- Try only with two modules ( 2*1 Mb)
3- Try with the other two modules

This could help to find the problem...
______
Fuzion, the best french Atari CD crew ->The Fuzion Shrine!
ST emulation and more ->Emulation Atari ST(fr)!

k-tronik
Atariator
Atariator

Postby k-tronik » Tue May 04, 2004 2:22 pm

Hi,

Mr Nours is right...try that... from memory, :? when using 2 sticks, leave a blank slot between the two sticks...then try with the old ram to be sure its not the unit...

As you know, ram can sometimes be zapped from static...touch the cold tap, or wear a anti-static wrist band before handling ram ect...& no wearing big fuzzy jumpers while wearing a big fuzzy hat & big fuzzy socks while sliding your ass along the carpet... or you will be a walking static machine... :wink: could be fun?!?!...

Anyway, I have about 20 or so ram upgrade kits left...if you get stuck...

Cheers

K-tronik

Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Dark Willow » Fri May 07, 2004 10:42 am

Thanks for the help!!! Will let you knwo how it goes. Thanks for hte offer of new chips, K, will let you know if I need to call upon your generosity:)
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Dark Willow » Fri May 14, 2004 3:24 pm

Got it working fine :) Just some muck in the SIMM slots it seems, dustbusted and refitted and all 4mb working fine. yay! now I dont feel so incredibly stupid

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”